• I thought I read somewhere that Basenji's have a somewhat more difficult time with or you need to be more careful when giving them anaesthetic. I am planning on having Nulla spayed and just want to be sure. Also, is it safe to get them spayed anytime after 6 months?

Thanks!

• Most breeders recommend spaying/nutering after 1 year of age. That way they will be fully developed.
    When my boy was nutered just recently, we were told to get a blood panel done to make sure he was healthy and let the vet know that Basenji's need special attention while being sedated. It is quite common that their hearts can stop. My vet actually allows you to be with them during surgery if you perfer.
    Check with your vet to see if they have any prior history with this breed. If not, post a thread on the forum and see if anyone can recommend a vet in your area. 🙂

• I've never heard about breeders recommending waiting till they are over a yr old, that is something completely new 😕 😕

• @basenji_fan:

I've never heard about breeders recommending waiting till they are over a yr old, that is something completely new 😕 😕

there are other threads about this topic. A lot of breeders suggest waiting until about a year old, so that physically the dog is mature before the removal of the sex hormones.

I would say *most breeders suggest between six months to a year is great. A lot of people would prefer that their bitch not go through a first heat cycle, and that their male not start lifting his leg…which can happen around six months old.

Suggested Topics