Advice on placing a pair of basenjis

• Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am trying to get some advice to help a friend. Unfortunately, he is unable to keep his two basenji boys and we're trying to determine the best approach for placing them. His primary desire is to be able to place the dogs together.

Unfortunately, the breeder passed away several years ago so that is not an option.

I can get more detailed info, but both are from the same litter, about 6 years old. One of the dogs is a show dog and has been with my friend entirely and the other was luckily rescued from an abusive home and the two dogs have been living together for many years and are inseparable.

So here is it what I'd like to get advice on.

It appears that BRAT has placed pairs of dogs before, so I'm hoping that could be a fruitful path. Granted, I realize that is more challenging. We would have the show dog neutered beforehand.

Apparently, there was some interest in breeding the show dog again after one of his puppies placed 1st at the BCoA National Specialty show about 4 years ago. But, I believe that was about the time that the breeder took ill. Is it reasonable to think that a responsible breeder would be interested in obtaining the pair to have the option to breed the show dog (the owner has all of the pedigree and medical information) or should we just go down the BRAT path? If a breeder would be interested, what is the best way to go about it? Cold-call local breeders? Just place an ad on this site or somewhere else?

Any advice would be appreciated. These dogs are the father and uncle of my Nemo so I really want to help find them a good home.

Thanks.

• Though the breeder has passed away it is possible that there are other breeders who have the same lines that may be able to help find this pair a home. What are the dogs' registered names?

BRAT is a good organization and will help to find the dogs a home.

• Thanks for the reply. The dogs names are Dovers Argus Arakeen Mudzingwa and Bell's Conga Bear. Argus is the show dog.

• Looks like both the sire and dam (brother and sister) are sired by Sal W's boy, you might want to try contacting her (She is president of the Basenji Club of America) and you can find contact information at www.basenji.org or her website at http://sonbar.homestead.com/

Also, using BRAT is a good source also but they would be spay/neutered. I would not recommend placing an ad… as you never know "who" might be buying them and they wind up in a puppymill or Back Yard Breeder situation

• If there is a big interest in breeding Argus, you can always collect and freeze. However, then who owns the semen? Pat's idea of contacting Sal W is excellent. I'm sure she'll be happy to assist you.

• Thanks for the advice. I will definitely contact her.

• Just an update on this, I believe that Sal has been contacted and is making arrangements for these two to be returned to her (and she is not the breeder, she is the stud owne..this goes to the strength of buying from responsible breeders)…

But Sal did just post on another list that they were available..... but had to be placed together. If anyone know of someone looking for a pair, contact Sal directly at the links above...

• I hope they find a good home. A pair of loving brothers is wonderful! My 2 boys, not blood related, really love each other. I prefer 2 boys to a male/female pair.

Anne in Tampa

• I just talked to the owner and he is waiting to here back from Sal so they can discuss the details of returning the boys. Although, I'm curious where she posted them. We've only talked to her very briefly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• @Nemo:

I just talked to the owner and he is waiting to here back from Sal so they can discuss the details of returning the boys. Although, I'm curious where she posted them. We've only talked to her very briefly.

Thanks everyone for your help!

It was on another Basenjis Chat List on YaHoo Groups. And she only posted that she was getting them but that if anyone knew someone that was interested to contact her.

• It also went out as a personal messge to those of us in the MN/Wisc area who get inquiries. It is unfortunate that we have another M/F older pair also likely to need new homes.

• Another update…we dropped off the boys at Sal's house this past Saturday. It was sad but it looks like a great environment for them to be in. We were lucky enough to meet a couple there that was planning to foster them for the near future. Thanks again for helping me find Sal.

Suggested Topics