Basenji - the second dumbest dog breed

• I've had many hound breeds(basset hounds, basenji, beagle) over the years and people say they are dumb because they aren't obediant but that doesn't mean they are dumb! They only listen when they get what they want, not the other way around.

• I think you just have to look at which breeed was rated #1 smartest to see where the prejudice lies. The definition of smart used in this story is open to ridicule if you ask me.

• There is another thread about this already. It points out that the tests that they use to generate these lists are really not a measure of intelligence per say but instead are testing things like trainability and bidability. Basenjis are an independent breed and usually do not do well in those types of test design.

Basenjis often don't get to the answer using the same sequence of steps that testers would like either. A basenji is just as likely to chew a hole through a blanket that covers a treat as it is to move the blanket to get to the treat type of thing.

I have a bunch of old The Basenji magazines. In one there was a summary of an experimenter's comments about a maze test that they had done using basenjis. The experiementer's comments went something like "though the basenji was the fastest through the maze on the first trial, it become consistently slower and slower to come out of the maze and return to its kennel. The basenji seems to resent the testers." Again this shows how the basenji doesn't always play by the rules of the experiment. Instead of testing how quickly a dog could learn a maze and rerun it, the basenji learned if it came out of the maze it would get put back in its kennel and intentionally avoided the end.

• It all comes down to wording. Based on this article it looks like "smart/dumb" equates to "trainable/untrainable".

After reading this forum, though, I have a great new bit of ammunition. My She-Ra isn't intelligent at all…but she's definitely CLEVER. 🙂 She's totally figured out ways to get what she wants, whether you like it or not. And I love her for it.

As far as representing the breed, the park where we walk her regularly almost always has a family checking her out (she's GREAT with strangers and kids), and you can see their eyes light up when you mention the "barkless breed". I do my part, though...I'm quick to throw in that they're VERY destructive, highly energetic, and that the fact they're petting her is a solid example that she's NOT the best representation of the breed. I explain that we love her, but we had to change our own lives and personalities to adapt to her...it wasn't the other way around. I think I've discouraged more than one potential buyer that way...but some people are genuinely still interested, so I try and bring up as much good as bad. Saw a lady with a tri-color awhile back and we swapped "war stories"...LOL.

• Good Post!!!!:D I dread it when people are going to try and pet my girl…She does that thing where she becomes "still like a statue", then you know she doesn't like the person. My boy "B" doesn't mind being petted, but its almost impossible for a stranger to touch him. He'll walk right up to check you out, but he will move out of the way of your hand as you reach out. Pretty funny actually. He's got a bunch of "head fake" moves that are pretty comical.
    As far as being smart.....who needs smart, when your "clever", and can get whatever you want from your pet humans!!!:rolleyes:

• Jack actually considers it an insult if someone does not want to pet him. I can actually see the tears welling up in his eyes as he looks at me "Why won't they pet me, mom? Aren't I cute enough?"

• @KiroGurl:

The CBS "Early Show" ran a story about dogs and their intelligence, or lack thereof. In the story, they shared their list of the top 10 smartest and top 10 dumbest dog breeds. These were their picks. (So don't blame us.)

http://wjz.com/slideshows/Smartest.Dumbest.Dog.20.707779.html?rid=18

#2 Dumbest: The Basenji is considered the second least intelligent dog breed, but hey, it could be worse. :mad:

This made me Soooo mad! do you agree? I think my basenji is the smartest dog i know! She certainly is not the most obedient but that is not a sign of intellegence!!!! I want to protest! thoughts?

:mad:

I would never protest… 😃 I don't want our breed to become popular... for any reason... and if people think they are dumb/untrainable then they will either research further before buying or not buy at all...

• @setidog:

I think that's a fantastic idea! Another thing that really bothers me about this article is that it may sway somebody from adopting a particular breed, especially if they're in the "dumbest" category. I think it's irresponsible of CBS to post something like this.

I'm in for sending a nasty note to CBS! I am furious over this!:mad:

• Cyrus is unbelievably intelligent. He actually knows where all paper products can be located in the house and waits for opportunities to steal them. He also remembers if someone left a tissue in a pair of pants and returns later to fish it out when no one is looking. Cyrus doesn't just look at people with a "Love me" expression like so many dogs. He studies people and evaluates them. He is certainly intelligent, and his misbehavior can only be attributed to my failures as an owner.

However, I agree with all those who hope that Bs do not become a popular breed. Bs are hard to own, and it takes people who truly love dogs to appreciate the odd quirks of Bs. I fear that a surge in their popularity would only add to the numbers of Bs in rescue.

• I am a musician and I spend a lot of time reviewing music. This means I'll be sitting at my computer, headphones on listening to a song and unaware of the outside world. My girl sunshine knows that when the phone rings, I'm supposed to answer it. So when it rings and I'm on the computer with the headphones on, she'll run up to me and "bark" in her way and jump on me to alert me to the phone. She'll then run ahead of me to the phone and watch me as I answer it. She'll also alert me when the doorbell rings or someone in the household yells for me. This she learned all on her own. Dumb dog? Who are they kidding! (to CBS, here's a major rasberry call just for you! thhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Suggested Topics