Basenji - the second dumbest dog breed

• @elena86:

I know that I'm very protective of our breed. Maybe I'm just being an elitist, but I don't want "just anybody" getting a basenji. I'm often stopped on the street while walking Senji by people who comment how good looking he is. They ask me what kind of dog he is and if he's friendly. I immediately tell them that he's not friendly with strangers…I can see that these people are ready to reach over and pet him before I answer. Even if someone knows that they're a "barkless dog", I tell them that they are a lot of work and need frequent exercise, or else they become destructive. I also tell them that this isn't the type of dog you can leave tied out in the back yard all day.
    It's really a shame that people don't research a dog breed before they go out and get one. They spend more time researching info on a new cell phone!

Yes, especially the "barkless" part… as tends to have people think they are mute... NOT... but the same goes for people with allergies that have the notion that they don't shed... again ... NOT

• @tanza:

Yes, especially the "barkless" part… as tends to have people think they are mute... NOT... but the same goes for people with allergies that have the notion that they don't shed... again ... NOT

Yea I learned the allergy part the hard way!!! LOL. Not that I love the breed any less but they are certainly not as many try to describe them as. Whenever people recognize him they typically say "oh he doesn't bark!" My response is always "well no barks but certainly not mute by any means! he is a VERY verbal dog just take away the woofs!" When people say "oh they don't shed do they? I laugh & say, "see my clothes?" or "you should come into our house & say that….after sitting in doggy hair all over the sofa!" :p

I agree that we should keep our breed special because they are unique & certainly not for everyone. Dogs in the spotlight, for whatever reason, end up having way more problems with BYBs, puppymills, & having to be put down. I think this is the same discussion that was had when someone posted that bull dogs made it to the top of the 10 most popular dogs this year...?

• Personally. I hope most people think that Basenjis are dumb, hard to train, destructive, genetically "messed up"..etc etc. I hope to never see one on the cover of a dog magazine, or in one! This will keep the breed safe for us. Just being selfish.:D -Tim

• I think both of the linked articles are talking about obedience and how long it takes them to get a command right. Irritating isn't it. I'd love to see one their "smartest" dogs unzip my lunch box, or pull a footstool over to get into my trash, or open my closet door to get at my fur lined boots (grrr about that one).

Plus, I am here to tell you, once my Jack has a commend, he doesn't forget it. He will sit 8 out of 10 times I ask him to. The other 2 times, well, there is probably something much more exciting to smell somewhere else. And how can I blame him for that?

I agree, I don't want basenji to be the next designer dog, but I don't want anyone saying my dog is stupid.

• I have to think that if a Basenji is found and quickly identified as the breed it is, the animal would more likely have a better life, so the ones acquiring the found dog would be able to do a quicker search for the breed temperment and advisable training techniques. In my own experience having Duke for 4 months before I found out what he was, experiencing all the misbehaving, bad dog behavior - that if I wasn't a good dog person, he could have easily been discarded or worse - beaten into submission and starved for punnishment by someone else's lack of humane intelligence. We know it happens to innocent living creatures. :mad:

So, that is the reason I wish that the Basenji breed is more well known and identifiable. Let the informed make decisions about the challenges and rewards to own one of their own.

• Jill,
    I respectfully disagree….More popularity means more uninformed people getting "b's" because "they're cool looking", or "cute". This will lead to more being given up when people realize they are not Golden Retrievers in temperment. Plus lots of new puppy mills would start up to meet "demand".
    It would be a nightmare:eek:

• @Duke:

I have to think that if a Basenji is found and quickly identified as the breed it is, the animal would more likely have a better life, so the ones acquiring the found dog would be able to do a quicker search for the breed temperment and advisable training techniques. In my own experience having Duke for 4 months before I found out what he was, experiencing all the misbehaving, bad dog behavior - that if I wasn't a good dog person, he could have easily been discarded or worse - beaten into submission and starved for punnishment by someone else's lack of humane intelligence. We know it happens to innocent living creatures. :mad:

So, that is the reason I wish that the Basenji breed is more well known and identifiable. Let the informed make decisions about the challenges and rewards to own one of their own.

Jill,
    Isn't Duke a Jack(/Parson) Russell Terrier/B mix? And from my experience, Terriers can and are just as "demanding" and difficult as what a Basenji can be. Because Terriers are bred to do a job, as are sighthounds (and scent hounds) they are all very independent…. I know lots of Jack/Parson Terriers that are pretty over the top... and are way more work than a Basenji.... Again, both breeds (IMO) are a challenge.

Same with your other cutie... Beagle/B mix is just as much of a challenge as a Beagle and/or Basenji

• @basenjishunt:

Jill,
    I respectfully disagree….More popularity means more uninformed people getting "b's" because "they're cool looking", or "cute". This will lead to more being given up when people realize they are not Golden Retrievers in temperment. Plus lots of new puppy mills would start up to meet "demand".
    It would be a nightmare:eek:

Well, not necessarily - because popularity brings to light information. People would then know Basenji's are not the docile, people pleasing Golden Retriever and instead know they are a stubborn handful, best for folks that love a challenge. But I do agree that if in fact an increase in puppy mills would result, then keeping it quiet is best.

I came upon Duke very quickly. If I knew he was a Basenji, had the opportunity to dive into researching this breed before I got him, I probably would have passed on him. I was more of the Retriever, Golden, Yellow, Black lab kind of person. The longer I had him, the more I loved him - even as mean as he was when a puppy. Thankfully - this forum brought me so much information and help in training him - I am now a Basenji gal. 😉

• @tanza:

Jill,
    Isn't Duke a Jack(/Parson) Russell Terrier/B mix? And from my experience, Terriers can and are just as "demanding" and difficult as what a Basenji can be. Because Terriers are bred to do a job, as are sighthounds (and scent hounds) they are all very independent…. I know lots of Jack/Parson Terriers that are pretty over the top... and are way more work than a Basenji.... Again, both breeds (IMO) are a challenge.

Same with your other cutie... Beagle/B mix is just as much of a challenge as a Beagle and/or Basenji

Well - not positive about the Jack part of him - though I know he is a mix. He has been seen by reputable breeders who see his obvious Basenji blood. I am guessing he might have the Jack in his mix because he is an avid jumper with squatter legs than Basenji. And OMG - yes overwhelmed by his "over the top" awful behavior when we brough him home at appx 12 weeks old. He seemed so untrainable the 1st four months. Then once I was clued in on his breed type - training him was like magic. Before, like a lab, I thought he'd just learn from repetitive words. As I learned quickly from here it's that "treats-treats and more treats" positive reinforcement that is the absolute trick.

But again - I wished that he was a more identifiable breed. Would have helped me and probably others if I/we knew sooner.

• IMO, dog people in general understand that any pup and especially a hound or terrier is work…. my feeling is that people in general that get a dog do not understand this and think they are all "Lassie" types and just come that way... I know from the pups I that I have placed that regardless of how many times you try and explain... it never "sinks in" till that pup is home with them and then it is like... "WOW, I didn't realize all that"?..... "now I see what you mean".. "I would have never guessed all that from reading about them"....
    So I am not so sure that people would or do really listen, nor would they really read to understand... again why responsible breeders are so important...
    For me, I am glad they are not popular..... and hope they never become the "dog of the month"

• I wouldn't want Basenji's to be "popular" either. Known about enough so that veterinarians are educated and able to identify the breed. Duke was seen by 3 different vets in his first 2 months with me - all of them were clueless of his breed type. He was under anesthesia being neutered when I got confirmation from Basenji Companions of his breed type. I immediately called the vets office to find out what kind of anesthesia he was under. Thankfully, he was on Isoflorene. We had the vet record changed from Border Collie mix - to Basenji - to Basenji-mix in his first year.

• @Duke:

Well, not necessarily - because popularity brings to light information. People would then know Basenji's are not the docile, people pleasing Golden Retriever and instead know they are a stubborn handful, best for folks that love a challenge. But I do agree that if in fact an increase in puppy mills would result, then keeping it quiet is best.

I came upon Duke very quickly. If I knew he was a Basenji, had the opportunity to dive into researching this breed before I got him, I probably would have passed on him. I was more of the Retriever, Golden, Yellow, Black lab kind of person. The longer I had him, the more I loved him - even as mean as he was when a puppy. Thankfully - this forum brought me so much information and help in training him - I am now a Basenji gal. 😉

I agree Jill. It isn't like the basenji is a secret now. Open any 'what dog breed is right for me' book, and they are pretty easy to find. And most of those books make them sound pretty darn near perfect. Great size, no smell, no bark, little shedding, easy to train (?)…I think we have to be out there telling the public what the real story is. And honestly....they can be GREAT dogs....otherwise would would all of us love them so much?

I think we have to walk a thin line between making accurate infomation available for people who are truly a good match for a Basenji, and educating those that would be frustrated by their antics. Trying to hide them, or paint them as worse than they are is just as wrong as trying to advertise them as the perfect pet.

• I've noticed on the few dog shows that I've seen the announcers consistently say "the basenji…not for everyone", but the majority of other dogs in the show are praised for their qualities. Makes me laugh every time.

• I've heard that breeders have done a good job with some of the temperment issues "B's" had. Alot of judges were, let us say, "not thrilled judging Basenjis", because when it came time to have them up on the table, it was like trying to check the teeth of a "furry chainsaw"!!:) -Tim

• @basenjishunt:

I've heard that breeders have done a good job with some of the temperment issues "B's" had. Alot of judges were, let us say, "not thrilled judging Basenjis", because when it came time to have them up on the table, it was like trying to check the teeth of a "furry chainsaw"!!:) -Tim

30 and 40 years ago… that was a fact... many judges would have to count their fingers when done judging Basenjis.. and to this day, the older ones still don't trust them.... and another reason that many of us get so "uptight" about Back Yard Breeders/Puppymills/etc.... Breeders have worked very hard on temperaments...

• @setidog:

I've noticed on the few dog shows that I've seen the announcers consistently say "the basenji…not for everyone", but the majority of other dogs in the show are praised for their qualities. Makes me laugh every time.

You know they say that about many of the Terrier breeds too…. along with hounds

• basenji's arn't dumb!!! it only took me a couple of days to teach Kip to sit lie down and beg! though he only does it if he knows there is a reward :p

Anyways Basenji's are not dumb!

• I told DH about this article last night and asked him to guess where Basenjis were ranked.

"Well, they definitely weren't on the 'dumbest' list"

"Guess again" I said "They held the #2 spot for being the dumbest dog"

"WHAT?!?! How many Golden Retrievers do they know who can unbuckle their own seat belt harness?"

I rest my case.

• Yea when I told my boyfriend about the list he laughed & said well how many other breeds can turn a door knob & get into a bedroom they want to be in?

• HAHA All I would have to say to the person that wrote that is…. Leave my B in a room with a window a blanket and ur sandwich and i can guarantee By the time u get back from using the bathroom...... Phoenix is outside of the patio with the blanket underneath him {as to not get dirty} and eating ur sandwich laying in the Sun.... given the person that look of STUPID HUMAN make it harder next time will ya lol Then lets see if that person says there a Dumb breed lol lol 🙂

Suggested Topics