Senior Tri in a Shelter in MI

• I'll cross my fingers for the best then, and that he beats the odds.

Sharron, I think we should start petitioning BRAT to let me take these babies to Europe!! 🙂 I live in the Swiss countryside, we can roam herds of Basenjis with the cows. I'll just take them all… *sigh

Actually the ppl I have met in Switzerland are very interested in Bs, but there are not a lot of B resources for the Franco-Swiss... I may have found a calling 😉

• I would love to have more area's for rescue basenjis to go to.
    If you will contact me privately
    I will help you contact the BRAT board to get something suggested.
    IMO, more homes are better…
    but I am just a very small cog in this wheel, and we are all non-paid, so we work for the dogs...
    I have been contacted off forum, so have removed my e-mail re forum
    policies

• For those who want updates 🙂 There was some shelter trouble with this B, as in the shelter snubbed BRAT help.. however from flurries of emails it sounds like negotiations might be back on the table! Lets keep hoping 🙂

• poor old guy. Since having Dash as a pup, I have to say I will never get another puppy. Now that he is almost 4 he is calm and loving and not destructive. It is so sad that people aren't interested at 9 years old. I would be happy to foster him since our foster has been adopted. She is actually coming to stay with us for the week while her new owners go out of town. \

Jen

• Jen, are you going to go get him and foster him?
    That would be such a kindness.

• Was BRAT able to get the dog do you know? I can contact the BRAT person and we can work something out.

• Jennifer, you can contact me off forum at brescue@wavecable.com

• Banjo has been listed on Petfinder.com for quite a while. The first day he was available, I made the BRAT Board and the District Coordinator aware of this boy. However, when the DC contacted the shelter they were unwilling to work with the rescue to help place him. Perhaps now that they have had him for a while and haven't placed him, they'll reconsider allowing BRAT to help. In some cases, BRAT just has to have a volunteer pay to adopt the dog (and BRAT reimburses them) just to get it out of the shelter and into rescue. It's unfortunate some shelters operate this way, especially since some of them provide really poor accommodations and the dogs end up so much more stressed or traumatized as a result of their stay there than they would if we had been able to get them out sooner.

JRinDC

• I know for myself, when someone contacts me re a basenji in shelter, I do everything I can to contact the shelter and network with them.
    I do understand they need fees from pb dogs to help with their funding, so I drop off info on b's and BRAT.
    But for senior b's, it tough to walk away and have them stay in a shelter.
    Seems now, we might have a foster home for this boy,…
    The shelter is still seeking funds.
    We can only work within the network the shelters set up.
    Sigh.

• Ok, as I understand it, BRAT folks will be recontacting the shelter tomorrow to see if they will work with us.
    Fingers crossed that they will.

• after 2 weeks of having NO computer (it really was almost the end of the world) I wanted to know if we had heard anything about this guy… I haven't gotten any emails yet... ??

• I have heard nothing.
    So, I don't know…
    Sorry.
    I will try to find out tomorrow.

• Welll YAY.. The gentleman has been adopted! To a family who drove from Wisconsin to get him. 🙂 hope he is a happy boy

• I saw that too – hope it works out for them. He looks like such a nice boy.

• Wonderful news.

• Great! Do you know if the person from WI found out about him on here? If so, I hope they post! I would love to meet some more people from Wisconsin who have basenjis, so far I have NEVER seen another basenji in person except for my own!

• I don't believe they did, but if you would like, I can ask the person who place d him to get their contact information for you . 🙂 let me know

• Oh I'm so glad. I kept thinking about him. I do love the oldsters.

• Wonderful!
    I ended up sending some strips and info up to the kennel that had him. Never heard back. I was hoping for the best.
    Great to hear.

• @Schouiffy:

Apparently BRAT has tried to get this old guy out - but the shelter was nasty to them.. which is strange because the guy I have been talking to seems stoked that someone is taking interesting in finding this guy a foster home.

I contacted the shelter-back when I firt posted, and the guy i was talking to, Jim D, was super nice.

Suggested Topics