Lots of questions about puppy aggression

• That is a real same, this breeder didn't do right by the dogs or by you.
    The dog we just got from the paper, Harley, was from a puppymill and he is just the sweetest boy, but the old owner did all the right things at the right times for this boy.
    I didn't realize that b's have a timeframe for learning to accept new things.
    itsn't that what you said Pat? re socialization
    Besides getting these dogs into a gentle basic obedience class, what else can they do?

• It is true that all dogs have a window for socialization that once closed it becomes much more difficult to introduce new things. There is a great collection of information and suggested reading at this website.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/earlysocialization.html

• THANK YOU. I am going to keep it.
    Not having bred a litter, or really had many puppys to rehome, this is all new and good stuff for me.
    Laugh.
    Yes, you can still "learn" me basenji stuff.
    Thanks again.

• No Jaberi is from Nancy in Kula,Maui. He really is a loving dog. But he will start nipping and then his aggression become more & more. I have tried chew toys, saying ouch loud/ yesterday I tried picking him up and walking & talking to him and it seemed to break the mood. We are also going to buy baby gates and find a palace that will become his (alone) place. I am open to suggestions.

• You keep saying that he is aggressive but you are not saying what he is doing that is aggressive. Nipping and rough play is not unusual in puppies Jabari's age. They need to learn what is appropriate and what is not. If he doesn't respond to the "ouch" and cessation of play then you need to be able to give him a time out and redirect his energies into an appropriate activity.

• Yes he nips and the more you tell him "NO" or try to redirect him he gets more & more biting harder/rips clothes. I have started picking him up and taking him in another room. Sometimes it helps re driect his thoughts. He is a sweet dog most of the time. He is most aggressive with my husband and he is also the one the one he shows the most attention. Do you think putting him by himself will help.

• When I use the term redirect, I mean have toys and chewies that are easily accessible and can be substituted immediately instead of the puppy biting at you or your clothing. Though restraint, picking up, can break the pattern of the behavior, it would really help if you can help teach Jabari what is appropriate behavior.

What toys and chewies to you have? How does Jabari respond to them? Do you use interactive toys with Jabari? Kongs, Stuffed Bones, or Busy Buddies?

Are you working with Jabari on skills like a down or a sit that you can ask him to do before he reaches such a level of stimulation that he begins nipping? Having treat jars placed strategically around the house can really help. That way you can reward him when you see him chewing a chewie or playing with a toy. You also have them handy to redirect behavior using basic obedience commands and reward the good behavior.

• lvoss has excellent advice. Treat all good behaviors and stop the play when teeth contact skin. You don't want him to think it's OK when his teeth touch you - especially as a puppy. Also, hard as it is - everyone should be on board with the manners training program. Same verbal commands, etc. I remember those puppy days. They get into a "terrible two's" mode - testing the boundries, figuring out what they can get away with - only to find out what's acceptable and what's not. Lots of luck - you'll get thru it soon.

• I really appreciate both of your advice. I have tons of chew toys, but haven't tried the knogs or busy buddies or putting treats in jars around. Believe me I will get some tommorrow. I know this is all a puppy stage, but never had a puppy that got so aggressive. The walking has helped alot. So again thanks for the help.

Mahalo,

• @Jabari:

I really appreciate both of your advice. I have tons of chew toys, but haven't tried the knogs or busy buddies or putting treats in jars around. Believe me I will get some tommorrow. I know this is all a puppy stage, but never had a puppy that got so aggressive. The walking has helped alot. So again thanks for the help.

Mahalo,

Just to clarify…what you are describing really isn't aggressive. It is normal, excited puppy play. If you tried to describe what you are seeing to a dog trainer or behaviorist there would be different ways of addressing puppy play vs. aggression....so it helps to make it really clear what you are seeing.

• My Jack always gets really excited when playing and tends to nip and bite a little, but really only Me and DH (not guests or anything) what has been working for me is putting my hands on either side of his face and saying in a really low growling voice "no biting." He usually stops. If he is really wound up and won't stop after this, I give him a time out in his crate. Yeah, I know he isn't a kid, but I kinda feel that if he keeps going I might just lose it on him, you know, yelling….and I know he doesn't respond to that- he just looks at me like I have lost it.

I don't really know if this is "right" or not, but it works for me. I tried the "Ouch" really loud, and redirecting and stuff, but it hasn't been working.

Suggested Topics