• @JazzysMom:

So, if you do the blood gases, and they come back okay does that mean that the dog is not developing Fanconi YET?

If that is the case, how often would you suggest having blood gases done?

That is how I understand it… I think that then I would go back to the strips, but would strip more then once a month. I would do 4 days in a row per month... and then in a year repeat the blood gases... but again, I stress that is just me.. as Blood Gases are not cheap

• thanks for the support… and i know that the stress of doing those fonconi strips every month doesn't get any easier with each passing month, but already i can see that there is a strong support here on this site.

good vibes being sent out there!

• I had heard people were doing the blood gas tests on their "probably affected" dogs. Apache had just turned 2 when I got the results and I started strip testing him immediately. I've already told my husband when he turns 3 I'm taking him in for a blood gas test…I'm wondering if I should do it earlier. I'm still strip testing Chey too even though she came back as "probably a carrier". My feeling is that until they get the actual DNA test, I'm not taking any chances.

• @Rivermoon:

I had heard people were doing the blood gas tests on their "probably affected" dogs. Apache had just turned 2 when I got the results and I started strip testing him immediately. I've already told my husband when he turns 3 I'm taking him in for a blood gas test…I'm wondering if I should do it earlier. I'm still strip testing Chey too even though she came back as "probably a carrier". My feeling is that until they get the actual DNA test, I'm not taking any chances.

And since the strips don't last long, no sense in them going to waste….

Suggested Topics