• end up getting rid of my puppy…

we live with my parents and them and deogi are just not working out...i'm walking on eggshells with them (as if just owning a b pup isn't hard enough)

i'm trying to make it work out...and if we had our own place this wouldn't even be an issue...but we can't afford an apt. and so i don't know what to do about it

they don't like how he's real active, chews (i keep an eagle eye onnhim but he has messed a few things up...nothing sewing couldn't fix but you know), and climbs on everything....these are all things we would think were cute but since they don't and it's their house, everything is now strained (not that things were all that great before the puppy either)

.....i like how deogi runs all around, dives into the couch and then bounds to the top, but my dad just gets pissed and knocks him off......i feel it's only a matter of time before deogi gets hurt, if not from his own clumsiness then from my dad just knocking him off a counter or something (my dad has become quite a grumpy old man the last 2 years)...so tonight is a sad night...i feel like all my work to get a b puppy is just flushed down the drain and become miserable......i guess i'll just give it a few more weeks and then i might have to call the breeder or something 😞

• Are you taking Deogi to training classes? Would seeing that you are making a real effort to work with Deogi to follow the house rules help to relieve the strain? Do you have a someplace like a dog park that you can take Deogi to daily or even twice daily to really burn off that puppy energy so he is more calm in the house?

It is important any time you add an animal to the house that all members of the household really want the animal because they are a huge committment and it takes a lot of work to have a well mannered pet. If a person in the house isn't really keen on the animal then usually it will cause a big strain in the house and the animal often ends up rehoming eventually.

• @fountainhead:

end up getting rid of my puppy…

we live with my parents and them and deogi are just not working out...i'm walking on eggshells with them (as if just owning a b pup isn't hard enough)

i'm trying to make it work out...and if we had our own place this wouldn't even be an issue...but we can't afford an apt. and so i don't know what to do about it

they don't like how he's real active, chews (i keep an eagle eye onnhim but he has messed a few things up...nothing sewing couldn't fix but you know), and climbs on everything....these are all things we would think were cute but since they don't and it's their house, everything is now strained (not that things were all that great before the puppy either)

.....i like how deogi runs all around, dives into the couch and then bounds to the top, but my dad just gets pissed and knocks him off......i feel it's only a matter of time before deogi gets hurt, if not from his own clumsiness then from my dad just knocking him off a counter or something (my dad has become quite a grumpy old man the last 2 years)...so tonight is a sad night...i feel like all my work to get a b puppy is just flushed down the drain and become miserable......i guess i'll just give it a few more weeks and then i might have to call the breeder or something 😞

Hopefully your breeder will take back the pup if it comes to that…. sounds like it was "iffy" to begin with, betting a puppy.... Good luck

• Knowing my Tucker was in 3 different homes in his first 6 months (in one of which some a$$hat tore his tail off) and then in another home for 3.5 years has always saddened me. I think of Tucker as my kid and knowing he comes from a rocky past just makes me melt sometimes when I think about how the rest of his life is going to be so much better…

I remember when I was thinking about getting a Besenji and how much I thought and thought and thought about it. What would I do if he wasn't really housebroken? What would I do if, although he is listed to be non-destructive in the home, he really is and rips up my beloved sofa cushions? In the end, it was simply making the committment to change my life in order to provide a good forever home for him, no exceptions. Even though there was quite a long period of adjustment, I couldn't imagine my life without him now. My girlfriend even makes jokes about her being my 'second most favorite person'. 🙂

I implore everyone to make sure they do their due dilligence when considering a new pet or adopting and older one.

I'm very lucky with my family because we have Basenji history. My mom and dad (now divorced and remarried) had 3 Basenji's when I was a kid, one of which had come and gone prior to me being born. My brother has a mutt also, but not a Basenji. Both my parents have strong distaste for his dog because it licks everything and sheds unbelievably. However, they melt when I bring Tucker with me when visiting. My dad always has Tucker in his lap and my mom lets him sleep in the bed, under the covers, with her. They have a big soft spot in their hearts for the breed and, where my brothers dogs gets scorn, Tucker can't do any wrong. Two of their B's were tri's, so Tucker ovbiously sparks some very fond memories within them.

• I hope everything works out well.
    But,
    If the breeder will not take him back, please contact BRAT.
    www.basenjirescue.org
    They will make sure he gets a home that knows what to expect from him and his breed.
    Good Luck.

• It sounds like it might be a good idea to get him out of that environment quickly if your dad can't be convinced to not knock him around.

• @MaxBooBooBear:

It sounds like it might be a good idea to get him out of that environment quickly if your dad can't be convinced to not knock him around.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a dog bite waiting to happen.

Not to sound judgemental or rude, but This really is why everyone in a home has to be in on research, meet the breed, and be in agreement BEFORE getting a puppy - or any pet for that matter. Honestly, I would not have even considered getting a dog if I lived in someone else's home.

• It can be tough to raise a pup. Especially since you are not living in your own place. I understand how frustrating it can be and in the back of your mind you feel as if you are walking on eggshells.
    Basenji's are not like your typical dog which I am sure you are now well aware of. They require constant attention and an you need to develop super human skills in which you can see everything. 🙂
    It sounds like your pup needs to exhaust some really built up energy. I have a 1 year old and now a 4 mth old pup. The pup goes crazy in the house and as soon as that happens we will either take them on a nice long walk/jog or last resort…a bully stick. You will be surprised in how well a bully stick works. They will chew them for hours!! I keep a stash around anytime friends come over...otherwise the dogs will go crazy and run all around the house chasing each other and destroying everything in sight.
    We learned form experience that anytime our Basenji's do something bad its because they really just want our attention. Everything in the house needs to be picked up...shoes especially!
    As a deterrent...try vicks vapo rub. It works great. Just a little dab on something you do not want you B to chew on works great! They hate the smell and will not go near it.
    Remember...a tired basenji is a good basenji!!!! It is key. Basenji's just love to get into stuff and it can be hard at times. It is a lifestyle change but one well worth the wait. It takes time and constant training. You may want to consider a baby gate to keep the pup off the couch. Gates work great in keeping a puppy away from certain areas.
    As for the jumping on the couch...thats quite common and most people (who do not understand basenjis) get upset when they do this. Our B's get this burst of energy throughout the day and they run around like crazy! When this happens, we immediatly close the gates to keep them away from certain areas of the house and that will help minimize any destruction or frustrated parents 🙂
    If you decide in the end that this just is not working out, there are resources available which are in previous posts. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted on what you decide.

• You may be able to keep the pup if you just start some solid training with him. Try doing basic training two times a day for around 15 minutes each time to tire him out mentally. Also, take him for more walks instead of allowing him to run willy-nilly around the house when you know your parents don't like it. Take him for 2 30 minute walks per day to wear him out so by the time he gets back to the house he isn't in the run-around-like-a-crazy-basenji-puppy mode. The thing is, no matter what breed puppies are high energy, chew everything & test their boundaries. It is your job to set those boundaries immediately & hopefully lessen your parents concerns. It would certainly be a shame for you to have to get rid of your puppy. I couldn't imagine getting rid of my baby even after only having him 2.5 months now.

If you do decide to keep him though, definitely be sure to tell your father [nicely] to stop pushing him because puppy bones are very fragile & a broken bone on a pet costs upwards of $2000 [& no I am not exaggerating!]

• The pup CAN be taught to NOT jump on the couch, however. I'd work on that ASAP since it's such an issue with your Dad.

Ours are not allowed on the furniture and learned from the day they came home that it is simply not allowed. They learned quickly and it's not an issue at all any more.

I would start by not letting him up there at all, not even on your lap {Until he catches on}.
    If he gets up, put him on the floor with a firm, "Stay Off" – no hitting or tossing necessary. Put your hand on the couch and say again, "Stay Off".
    As with everything -- repeat, repeat, repeat.

BTW, how old IS your dad? The Basenji energy can be frightening to people as they age; the erratic running, etc. can feel {or even be} downright dangerous to someone whose eyesight is changing, whose balance is fading, etc. LOTS of older folks wind up with broken arms, wrists, limbs, etc because of dogs. His anger may be somewhat fear based?
    Or even based in frustration because his retirement years aren't looking quite the way he'd envisioned all his life.

Sit on the floor to cuddle with him.

• @JazzysMom:

…Sit on the floor to cuddle with him.

Yeah, even dads need cuddles!! (LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist! :p )

Seriously though, fountainhead, the suggestions are good ones. Give 'em the good, ol' college try. I hope everything works out for you.

• @gbroxon:

Yeah, even dads need cuddles!! (LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist! :p )

ROFL–:D Good point!

• Just like in dogs, a temperment change in humans, even as we age, is not necessarily "normal". I think I'd sit down with your mom and discuss this. At the very least, your dad should have a physical and talk to a doctor (probably with your mom).

As far as your pup goes, you've gotten some great suggestions here. My younger 2 dogs (5 yr malinois and a 15month basenji) get most of their meals in a puzzle ball. Keeps them entertained and brain engaged. Also my basenji pup LOVES cream cheese and it it so easy to put inside a kong and freeze. Lots of exercise! You may want to find someone with a comparable pup to have play dates with. If you don't have a fenced yard (or even if you do), get a long leash (think 15 or 30 feet!) and take him out for a walk. This way you can safely let him run, but also during that time work on attention and loose lead walks (might want a shorter lead for that). Clicker train tricks and obedience is a great way to engage your pup. Mental stimulation is just as important as physical.

• @JazzysMom:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a dog bite waiting to happen.

Not to sound judgemental or rude, but This really is why everyone in a home has to be in on research, meet the breed, and be in agreement BEFORE getting a puppy - or any pet for that matter. Honestly, I would not have even considered getting a dog if I lived in someone else's home.

And I am going to add, this is why good responsible breeders screen homes…

• Do you have plans to move anytime soon?

• I live with my mom for the time being. We agreed that the pup could join the family for a couple of months. (otherwise he would have stayed at the breeder untill may)
    We will move to our new home in may, so my mother does know we will leave.

She isn't really fond (understatement) about the chewing, running, biting etc. and Mirtillo isn't allowed on the furniture and the stairs. When the pup gets bored and tries to chew on something, I take him for a long walk (20-30 minutes, 4 times a day) and when we come back he gets something to chew on. It works pretty well. He gets his meals in his Kong or in his ball, so he is busy with it for 15 minutes. It really tires him down. (thanks for all the advise ;))

When he is doing something that's not allowed, I told my mom to spray him with water. (otherwise she will hit him with the newspaper) It can't harm him and he respects the water! (more than the newspaper ;)) When I am away for some hours, I put Mirtillo in his crate, so he can't get on my mothers nerves.

The only problem I have is my younger sister.. she isn't really about rules, so Mirtillo has some 'free time' when she is around. But she is his victim now when he decides to bite someone.. Mirtillo will learn her that rules work 😉

I know it's really hard to have a puppy around AND parents that are complaining! It doesn't feel right at all, but you are in their house, so you have to have an agreement with them and please them with keeping the puppy busy. It works for me that my mother really sees I'm doing the best I can trying to keep the pup away from her/occupied.

I hope you can keep your puppy.. I have Mirtillo for three weeks now.. but I already can't imagine him not being around.

• thank you for all the suggestions…in fact my aunt just gave me one of those bully bones and it was wonderful...he just chewed on it forever. deoji finally went on a real walk today and enjoyed it too...all the other times he would just lay there. he would walk a little bit, with his head down the whole time...it's funny cause it's like he was embarrassed to be on a leash. 🙂

everybody was on board with getting a puppy, and i told them everything i read about the breed...but i don't think they really expected such a handful. my dad isn't real old, he's 54 and it kinda seems to me like he's going through a type of midlife crisis or something....like he's real moody. we've had dogs before and it was fine. he never was rude to them, and i know it'd break his heart if he actually hurt deoji............i don't know, it's wierd cause when we got the pup he was even talking about breeding them in a few years (yeah right)

i'm doing my part to keep deoji. they know i watch him like a hawk and am training him...but i told them they also need to help me avoid the problems in the first place...such as telling me when they're going to eat so i can crate him, and keeping the back room doors shut so he doesn't go back there and chew on their stuff......it's rediculous

• They say that not only do humans train dogs but essentially DOGS train HUMANS. 😛

Hope you are able to keep him afterall & things get better. I think they will if you continue to properly train & take him on walks to wear the little guy out 🙂

• Hope things work out for you.

• Sounds like you've got a good head on you and you've gotten really good suggestions here. I'm sure everything will work out in the end.

Suggested Topics