• Zena and Zora both have their dogster pages up. You can check them out through the following links.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/763125
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/763142

• Wow! I am amazed that you got coats on those girls. Bet they have never worn clothes before! Thanks for sharing pics. And thanks for sharing your home with them 🙂

• Yes, thanks for sharing your home…. and I agree with Andrea.. I am so surprised that you were able to get coats on them... Way to go... and Kudos...

• @ssarlls73:

Zena and Zora both have their dogster pages up. You can check them out through the following links.
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/763125
    http://www.dogster.com/dogs/763142

I'm so happy for these two. They are so cute and precious and I'm so glad they are free - thanks to you, Suzanne. They look so adorable in their pretty coats. Thanks to you all for giving the rescues a chance for a happy life. 🙂

• @sharronhurlbut:

Have any of the breeders on this list used Lasers re spay surgery?
    I understand that cuts down on blood loss a great deal..but have never had it used on one of my dogs.

I have not used it, my vet does not offer it at this time. It is supposed to be much better because it cauterizes as it cuts so that there is much less blood loss. It is also more expensive because of the expense of the equipment and you may have to search around for a vet that offers it.

• I wonder if my vet or someone in my area does.
    I will have to ask around.
    Just to have the info on hand.

• To My Foster Parent

There I sat, alone and afraid,
    You got a call and came right to my aid.
    You bundled me up with blankets and love.
    And, when I needed it most, you gave me a hug.
    I learned that the world was not all that scary and cold.
    That sometimes there is someone to have and to hold.
    You taught me what love is, you helped me to mend.
    You loved me and healed me and became my first friend.
    And just when I thought you'd done all you do,
    There came along not one new lesson, but two.
    First you said, "Sweetheart, you're ready to go.
    I've done all I can, and you've learned all I know."
    Then you bundled me up with a blanket and kiss.
    Along came a new family, they even have kids!
    They took me to their home, forever to stay.
    At first I thought you sent me away.
    Then that second lesson became perfectly clear.
    No matter how far, you will always be near.
    And so, Foster Mom or Dad, you know I've moved on.
    I have a new home, with toys and a lawn.
    But I'll never forget what I learned that first day.
    You never really give your fosters away.
    You gave me these thoughts to remember you by.
    We may never meet again, and now I know why.
    You'll remember I lived with you for a time.
    I may not be yours, but you'll always be mine.

For the love of the animals for whom I’ve dedicated my life,
    Angela Portera
    New Orleans, LA

• OMG - they're just beautiful - all 3 of them. If Fiji wasn't so new to us, I would take (especially Zora - her face just grabs me) in a heartbeat. Of course, I promised Karen at Medfly rescue I would be back there when I was ready to expand the family.

Of course, my hsuband is still in the "people have TWO basenjis?!" stage :p even htough he loves our girl already.

• She is so pretty! Dare I predict a "long term foster" (like our Eddie, going on 6 years now…)
    Anne

• That poem was so beautiful. I'm in tears! I am in love with both of my foster girls. AND today we made a breakthrough…I brought the girls into the living room and sat in the recliner with them for a bit. Twister, my youngest male basenji, jumped up too and sat with us for only about 1 minute. Hunter, my oldest basenji boy, sat on the couch ignoring us. I wish I could keep them both, and yes, Zora has a face that captures the soul. However, Zena has these beautiful big doe eyes that are just adorable. She is a little more outgoing than Zora, but they are both starting to show signs of being all basenji. They have started helping with the laundry...they like it clean or dirty! 🙂 They like to shred and eat newspaper. They pulled my leather coat down and chewed it up today - no I didn't get mad. I left it there and shouldn't have! Oh well, it isn't the first time a dog has chewed up something I loved. They are consistant with the paper training. This is the hardest part of the rehab for me - potty training. Now that we have them consistantly going on the paper, now what? The socializing is going well and they seem to be playful. They are showing signs of trust more and more daily. They don't mind the cat either. They all sleep in the same room together. I don't think they will or should go to home with kids only because they are so shy and skiddish. Hopefully that'll change. Anyhow, thanks for letting me rattle on. Any advice is appreciated and welcomed!

• PS: I have a friend interested in one of the girls, so if I can convince my hubby to let me adopt the other, that'd be awesome. BUT…with 3 of our own, these 2 foster girls and another foster we'll have until this time next year (or less time hopefully), I doubt he'll agree.

• We tell folks to take new b's out to "go" ever 2 hr with a "special" treat in your pocket..cheese, nuked hot dogs, and when the dogs "go" then the praise and treats come down!
    B's are smart, and treats work on most of them…but I have not had a pm basenji, so am only sharing what I know.

• Well, that sounds great. I just found that they like cheese. They didn't care for the Zukes treats and milkbones are too big and not an exciting enough treat. I'll start trying that this weekend. I wanted to make sure they were at least paper trained as much as possible "just in case".

Thanks.

• Well, I think the girls will be up on the BRAT site soon for adoption. Wish us luck. They get spayed next week!!!!

• My wife and I would like to adopt one of the SD basenjis. We found our basenji, Nubie, on the BRAT website last August. We want adopt a female playmate for him because our other dogs just can't keep up. We can be flexible about the age of the new puppy. What do we need to do?

• Please go to the BRAT Site
    http://www.basenjirescue.org
    and post that you would like to adopt a SD basenji.
    I do think there are some who are needing placement, but I am not totally sure..
    been out of town last week and still trying to catch up.
    Do let us know how it goes for you and your family.
    Thank you for thinking rescue for your next companion animal.

• Just wondering … whatever happened to all those basenjis that were rescued? Have they found homes? Are they in foster care?

Can you tell we have discovered the truth in the saying that B's are like potato chips...and are thinking about having one more?:)

• I believe all the b's are in foster care or rehomed.
    I don't think they had to put any of them down, but there were some of these b's that had "issues".
    So, I will check and get back to you.
    THANK you for asking…and yes, they are addictive!
    Just like chips.

• Thanks, Sharon. We will talk to Karen at Medfly when we're ready but with all those B's being rescued I do wonder if some of them still need homes.

• Zena and Zora have been with us since April. They are wonderful fosters. They've made tons of progress in health and socialization with other dogs and us. Zora jumped in my lap for the first time last weekend. Best of all, they have found a new forever home TOGETHER! They go to their new mom on June 14th. We couldn't be happier for all of them. Their new mom is so nice and patient. They are i for the high life! Another reason to love being involved with BRAT - happy endings! 😃

Suzanne Hartwell
    Pampered Pooch Resort
    Sherwood, MI
    www.pamperedpoochresort.com

Suggested Topics