• @RUSTYROO:

Thank you for your input. You seem very nice and knowledgeable. Yes it is I who wants a dog. Especially once Rusty is gone, I will be so lost without him. I have to give him 12-14 pills a day for his Fanconi, not to mention all of the water he consumes. At the same time my daughter LOVES animals. Her grandma has 2 dogs and she loves them so much, and they love her.

Thanks, I try to be nice, and try to be knowledgable 😉

I have to tell you though, that it makes people like those of us on this list crazy when people want to give up a dog (especially an old dog) because he has become too much work. Either because of health or behavior problems.

Good luck. I hope BRAT can help you. I will say a prayer that your dog finds his forever home, and lives several more happy years.

• Thanks, Andrea. I know I tend to go overboard, because of these situations. But I do know how Rustyroo feels, I've been there. I love all my dogs like they're babies and it does tear you up when you need to give them up-regardless of the reason. Rustyroo has taken care of her dogs extremely well and gone above and beyond the call most others would ignore.

• @nomrbddgs:

Thanks, Andrea. I know I tend to go overboard, because of these situations. But I do know how Rustyroo feels, I've been there. I love all my dogs like they're babies and it does tear you up when you need to give them up-regardless of the reason. Rustyroo has taken care of her dogs extremely well and gone above and beyond the call most others would ignore.

Been there too….haven't been able to give anybody up yet 😉 Ask me if we have too many dogs 😉

• @RUSTYROO:

Thank you so much for saying that. Because that is exactly how I feel. I love him with all my heart and it is tearing me apart. I have cried for 3 days now. I feel like I am abandoning him when he needs me the most. I will try to contact them and again thank you!!!!!

It is not easy, I am sure. Just know that whoever BRAT finds will be a good fit.
    When I went to BRAT it was because I wanted a basenji, not just any dog a basenji. I also went to them because I wanted a rescue dog, I could afford a cute little puppy, but I wanted one that I could change his life for the better. I wanted to make a difference.
    Mine actually came from a not so great home where he was neglected, isolated and possibly hit (?). I had the rare chance of going on the pick up, he didnt go to foster first, straight to me. I still remember what my "adoption agent" said before we went in to get him: As bad as the home is and as horrible as we think the treatment was, just remember that right now she is doing the kindest thing for the dog (something like that anyway). I am so grateful to the origional owner for placing him with BRAT.
    Not exactally the same situation, but most people will realize that you are doing this out of love for you dog.
    Dont be ashamed, this is an act of kindness.

• I am going to give you some advice - once you do place your boy - don't get another dog right away. It will be too soon there will be too many compairisons etc. Give yourselves some time to grieve and I do have to respond to your child needing a dog for bonding and developing relationships. As someone who deals with dogs and children at a variety of developmental stages - that is not true - matter of fact the usual pattern is that family gets dog and about the time that the 'puppy' is 8 - kid is too busy with Ballet, soccer, Hockey, piano lessons etc. and the dog is turned over to rescue. (The last 3 dogs I took in were this same story)

If you are going to get another dog - consider a 5 year old and by the time your child is busy doing other things- the dog will be gone - harsh but practical.

• I would just love to take this boy. I do not have any children, I do have another B and a Rat Terrier. But I also have alot of patience, and a really big heart. My Rat is 11 years old, almost blind, arthritic, and just plain old. I will keep him to his dying days, whatever it takes, because thats what we do. Our pets don't pick us ,we pick them. I know I shouldn't say this, but I feel like people should be more responsible when choosing a pet. If my B bites anyone, they will just have to bite him back. LOL Basenji rescue is a great idea, but I'm sure there is a way to balance this family. I just hate the idea that someone has to give up their pet of 10 years, so sad. I guess I'm too optimistic, but how did it get to this point? Was he always a biter? I'm kidding about the biting back, please, don't scold me. Not to mention the fact that he needs special care, he will be so lost without his family. I'm so sad for this boy!

• IMHO…defensive biting is no reason to give up a pet. Unprovoked offensive biting is a different story. My dog has bitten 2x both out of fear & really because it was MY fault not hers. I put her in a situation she couldn't handle & I should have known better given her history.

It's been my experience that a dog that bites out of fear will continue to bite if it feels it needs to defend himself. If the dog is put in a situation where it doesn't feel afraid or defensive it won't bite. It's as simple as that.

I'll get off my soapbox now 🙂 I hate to preach but I've been volunteering at a shelter & I see WAY too many..."oh he's an aggressive dog" situations when in reality the dog is FAR from aggressive..it's just afraid.

• Imo, the difference between a nip and a bite is if the skin is broken and they draw blood.
    Puppies and some uneducated adult dogs nip…its not something anyone wants, but imo it can be corrected.
    A bite, a totally diffent issue and something that should be eval. on a case by case event.

Suggested Topics