• @Ninabeana26:

Yea I think I am starting to agree about the pup food now that I need there is at least more protein in it vs. adult. I'm going to buy some Merrick's puppy plate today [since the store I buy his food from now doesn't carry the puppy plate only all the other flavors!]

As for shots, he says after this last shot he gets in two weeks he won't have another until boosters after a year then says that it would be a yearly appointment for boosters, checkup, etc.

And I'm way ahead of you, looking for a new vet currently. Problem is, I can't decide whether to find one now before his next shot appointment at the end of March or just wait & find one after the fact but by then the first time they would see him would be to neuter him!

Nope after the first year, then should be every 3 yrs… however that said, I highly recommend a yearly check up regardless if they need anything or not...

Is your current Vet giving "whopper" shots... like all at the same time? That is not good... IMO, rabies should never be given with other shots, should be separate by at least 3 or 4 wks.

And you should make appointments to "interview" new Vets.. go and talk to them.. and you know it would be worth the cost of the appointment, IMO, just to take the pup for a general visit....

• @tanza:

Nope after the first year, then should be every 3 yrs… however that said, I highly recommend a yearly check up regardless if they need anything or not...

Is your current Vet giving "whopper" shots... like all at the same time? That is not good... IMO, rabies should never be given with other shots, should be separate by at least 3 or 4 wks.

And you should make appointments to "interview" new Vets.. go and talk to them.. and you know it would be worth the cost of the appointment, IMO, just to take the pup for a general visit....

Yea since this past Thursday he gave him a rabies vac & one other, I think perhaps bordetello? His first appointment he only got one shot but this time two. His next appointment will only be one shot as well, I think his final temprement shot.

Yea I'm going to see how much just a quick visit with a vet at this other place up the street would cost. They did send us a $30 off coupon when we first moved into the area…although maybe that isn't a good sign. LOL

• I would look for another vet now to make sure you're happy with the new one before he needs to be neutered. When I got Apache I decided to try another vet in the area. I went to one that other people swore by. I took Apache in for a check-up, no shots were due. With his next puppy shots, this vet wanted to give him the Lepto shot and wanted to do surgery on his umbilical hernia because I was going to show him. He also insisted on annual boosters. I left there never to return. My regular vet has at least changed with the times and doesn't require yearly boosters. He has also learned to listen to me where my dogs are concerned. He didn't think Chey had a thyroid problem as weight gain was her only symptom. I insisted on a full panel being done and I turned out to be right. Our relationship has changed since then for the better.

• wow that filled up pretty fast. There is a lot of helpful info here. Thanks guys

• My wife said it was around $388.00

• @Barklessdog:

My wife said it was around $388.00

For vaccinations????? :eek:

I couldn't own dogs if I had to pay that!!

• Basing a lot of this off memory…

Dog - $600
    Cage/Crate - $80
    Vaccinations - $150 I think.
    Microchipping (came with the dog)
    Toys - $200 - we spoil the hell out of her
    Food - $10-20 monthly plus treats (throw in about $15 for those)
    Stuff she's destroyed - $1000+ 🙂

Kisses late at night before going to bed - priceless. 😉

• @torchsong:

Basing a lot of this off memory…

Dog - $600
    Cage/Crate - $80
    Vaccinations - $150 I think.
    Microchipping (came with the dog)
    Toys - $200 - we spoil the hell out of her
    Food - $10-20 monthly plus treats (throw in about $15 for those)
    Stuff she's destroyed - $1000+ 🙂

Kisses late at night before going to bed - priceless. 😉

Every living thing costs money - certainly. I honestly don't remember shelling out huge amounts. Yes - a vet visit here and there is an abnormal non-monthly fee. But - whenever me, husband or son gets ill - a co-pay here and trips to the drug-store all add up too. My wire crate was fortunately on sale at Pet Supplies Plus - around $40-$45. After a year, I bought another one for Daisy - same sale price. But I like the "kisses-priceless" comment. I forgive all the expensive items ruined by my two chewers. My material girl days have diminished since Duke entered my world 2 years ago. I long for nice things again - but am leaning on buying smarter and more durable lately. My bad for leaving open my undies drawer - and anyone elses bad for leaving their things vulnerable to the dogs.

• @Barklessdog:

My wife said it was around $388.00

Wow! That's still high. I'm looking at the print out of the bill for Cory's last shots: It breaks down to: 17.50 Bordetella
    17.35 Rabies 1 year booster
    25.42 Brief Exam
    41.20 Heartworm Snap Test
    40.89 6 mo supply of Heartgard Plus

I went to a different Vet for Jayden and I can't tell you how his bill breaks down because Jayden ate that part of it. Jayden didn't need any shots anyway.

I just can't imagine why there is such a difference. Even the difference between the cost of living up there and down here (and Savannah is more expensive to live than a lot of places in Georgia) shouldn't account for that kind of price gap.

Pat

• annual visits cost us 60.. but mias first check up was only 14 dollars.. last month she got the DHLPP shot and that was only like 12 dollars and the worms test was like 10.

• I would for sure check around for a vet – mine has low prices but he also doesn't have a super fancy office like the one within walking distance from my house. I liked his attitude and his ability to explain things and the way he listens to my concerns. And though he doesn't always jump on the latest research right away (he still gives 2 yr rabies for example) he doesn't poo-poo anything.

• When we got our dogs several vets said they would not take Basenji's.

• This thread makes me cringe.
    To actually sit here and figure out how much money we have spent on our 2 basenji's. Oah My God!!!!

Chance cost 800.00
    Kiya cost 850.00

Their shots cost anywhere between 50.00 to 75.00 per shot.
    Chance will be getting "snipped" this weekend and that will cost approx $498.00
    Yes the vet bills are a little high but we will not settle for a vet who does not know the breed. We drive 45 min out of our way just to see our vet. He is great with our fur kids and we know that they are safe in his care.

Crates:
    First crate was 70.00 (puppy crate)
    second crate was 100.00 (a little bigger)
    Third Crate 140.00 (condo crate)

Baby gates:
    (this is due to trial and error…basenji's are sneaky little ones)
    We have gone through 4 or 5 gates with an estimated cost of 400.00 for the gates.
    One gate was too large and they just squeezed right through. Another was too short and Chance jumped right over it.

Toys: I have not a clue in the world anymore...now they just chew old socks and odds and ends. 🙂

• @Vanessa:

This thread makes me cringe.
    To actually sit here and figure out how much money we have spent on our 2 basenji's. Oah My God!!!!

Chance cost 800.00
    Kiya cost 850.00

Their shots cost anywhere between 50.00 to 75.00 per shot.
    Chance will be getting "snipped" this weekend and that will cost approx $498.00
    Yes the vet bills are a little high but we will not settle for a vet who does not know the breed. We drive 45 min out of our way just to see our vet. He is great with our fur kids and we know that they are safe in his care.

Crates:
    First crate was 70.00 (puppy crate)
    second crate was 100.00 (a little bigger)
    Third Crate 140.00 (condo crate)

Baby gates:
    (this is due to trial and error…basenji's are sneaky little ones)
    We have gone through 4 or 5 gates with an estimated cost of 400.00 for the gates.
    One gate was too large and they just squeezed right through. Another was too short and Chance jumped right over it.

Toys: I have not a clue in the world anymore...now they just chew old socks and odds and ends. 🙂

Small price to pay for all that JOY!:D 😃 😃

• The vaccinations themselves aren't that much ($15-$20 per), but everything else that is done, i.e., the office visit ($15), the wellness exam ($20), the heartworm/lymes blood test ($ I forget), the six-panel thyroid ($80), the heartworm medication ($ I forget again), the fecal ($ more forgetfulness). So yearly, even though I don't vaccinate yearly, it comes to $150-$200 for the vet. Fingers crossed, Magnum's a healthy boy who hasn't had to visit the vet more than yearly.

• Hold on a second – a vet that said s/he wouldn't examine basenjis?
    I'd report that vet to the state board!!!

• Some animal professionals have a strong bias against certain breeds. Basenjis are one of the breeds that you will find people who really do not like the breed and do not want to have anything to do with it. Though it is unprofessional to refuse service based on breed, I would not want my dogs seen by someone who does not like nor trust the breed.

My vet office loves my dogs, they are not only their favorite basenjis but some of the favorite patients in the whole practice. I have heard some of the techs though tell a new tech, "don't worry about that dog, it is one of the good basenjis". I know they have at least 2 other owners with basenjis and one is sort of in the middle not the easiest dog but manageable and the other has quite the reputation amongst the techs. I have also encountered bias against breeders, my vets are a husband and wife team and the wife has bred labradors and has always been great, she has used our dogs in talks with girl scouts as examples of responsible breeding. About 2 years ago they added a partner because their practice had grown so much they needed another full time vet. It was obvious at first that the new vet was not comfortable with breeders and really wasn't convinced that there was such a thing as a responsible breeder. Now, 2 years later, she is coming around, and though I still prefer to see the other two vets when my dogs need to be seen she is awesome with my cats.

So the bottom line is that finding a really good vet that you trust with your animals is not an easy task. It took me several vets to find the ones I use now and even when I moved one town over, I still kept my vet.

• the other has quite the reputation amongst the techs.

Thats become my dog.

I finally after 7 years brought him in for a knock out dental exam.
    We brush his teeth, it was time to knock him out to do a real check up and have some plaque build up removed.

He hates having his nails trimmed and goes psycho, so we take him to the vet to have it done. At first they were able to muzzle him, but he's smart, so the mere sight of a muzzle now and he starts barring his teeth. Then we had to trick him, but he learned these tricks (doesn't get fooled again), so now the vet made a nylon slip noose to try to get around his muzzle, like the crocodile hunter uses. Now he has learned to stick his head between his front legs they can't slip it around him. It took three people to hold him down to get it on him, with him snarling and snapping.

The funny thing is he fought them to the very end. We also drugged him before he came with a double dose of tranquilizers and he still fought like a hellcat. He would not let them pick him up, they had to use his leash and hold his head against the crate bars to inject him.

The funny part was once they sedated him with an injection, he refused to breath the gas when they put the mask on him, on the table. He was holding his breath still fighting!

I'm surprised they will even treat him, but money is money, $495 for teeth cleaning, including one tooth had to be removed & blood work, shots.

In his recovery crate after that he whined & howled for over two hours and drove them crazy.

When my wife picked him up he was horse from whining. He was pretty traumatized after the whole experience- we all were.

Our other dog is the opposite, she gets so scared she squirts/shoots poop out her bottom like tooth paste.

They are both such a delight for our vet.

• At our first local puppy training classes, the trainer pulled my wife over and told her that she knows what basenji's are like and any funny business and she would kick them out of class!

Basenji's have a reputation let me tell you (at least in Chicago)

Also when we looked into boarding our dogs some places said they would not take basenjis. We ended up getting a pet sitter, but not because of that. We just could not bare to leave him in one of those places (cement floors & constant barking dogs)

• @Barklessdog:

At our first local puppy training classes, the trainer pulled my wife over and told her that she knows what basenji's are like and any funny business and she would kick them out of class!

Uhm, let me get this straight. You take your dog to a training class, because you're trying to be a responsible dog owner and the trainer says if your dog acts up, you're out of class? Seems like if she were a competent trainer, she would be able to train you to train your dog and you wouldn't have to be thrown out of class. :mad:

Suggested Topics