• @ChaseandZahrasmom:

There were two Basenji puppies one Red and White and one Tri at the petstore at the mall when I was there today. 😞

All I could think was where are these babies going to end up? Why am I even looking at them? How can I pass Basenji information on to people who might buy them? Is there a flyer for BRAT?

Oh, I feel the same way. I feel so sorry for the puppies in there. But in reality we should be feeling sorrier for the parents of these puppies. No one, hardly, ever thinks about them.
    I helped with a BUR run when a puppymill was shut down in MO. The pups were adorable, friendly and playful and young enough to eventually be socialized and a happy member of a family (but who knows about health and temperment–so not saying they are not little victems too).
    But the poor momma had lived her whole life never knowing the comfort of a bed, the softness of grass, the fun of running full speed doing the B500, she knew nothing more than the wire cage she had spent her whole life in. She seemed scared of the grass when we took her out for a potty break. I just kept thinking of how spoiled my B boy and how he loves to lay around in my warm bed and chew on his rawhide and how he gets a special treat before bedtime. He has no worries.
    Not to take the focus from the puppies, I think petstores should not sell puppies and puppy millers should be shut down...but after seeing poor Lady ;I have a different perspective on petstore puppies that I think many choose to overlook or just dont think about.

• There was a video on CNN about puppy mills. I thought I would add it to this thread. I put the link in the title that is where I got it from if anyone would like to read it.

Virginia: The Next Puppy Mill State?

November 1, 2007

Virginia—a state dotted with historic towns, scenic byways … and horrible puppy mills.

A five-month, undercover investigation by The HSUS revealed a substantial Virginia puppy mill industry that is largely unregulated and often in violation of state and federal laws.

Hidden Cruelty

From large-scale operations with hundreds of dogs living in seemingly endless rows of cages; to small, crowded kennels in trailers, backyards and even basements across Virginia; hundreds of commercial breeders are mass-producing dogs with little or no oversight and few—if any—safeguards for the health and well-being of the animals.

HSUS investigators visited puppy mills of all sizes, as well as pet stores and Virginia-based websites selling dogs. Their discoveries were staggering.

Commercial dog breeders in Virginia number nearly 1,000. And many of these operations churn out puppies in the most deplorable conditions imaginable.

The HSUS
    Yorkies in a Va. pet store that buys from unlicensed puppy mills.
    Denying Basic Needs

Like many states, Virginia has no kennel inspection program to ensure that dog breeders meet basic standards of animal care. HSUS investigators visited mills and pet stores across the state and found that even the most minimal state laws for adequate care and shelter were ignored.

Investigators found breeding dogs and puppies living in cramped, filthy cages, in urine-soaked trailers and in ramshackle kennels without basic sanitation, clean water, veterinary care or even the most primitive protection from the elements.

How You Can Help

Take the pledge to stop puppy mills.

Learn more and join The HSUS in our work to help stop the systematic abuse of dogs in puppy mills.

Learn more about how to avoid buying a puppy mill dog.

Buying a puppy? Check out our puppy buyers guide.

Want to adopt? Visit Proud 2 Adopt.

Flouting the Law

Some breeders were also breaking federal laws. To sell puppies to pet stores, facilities with more than three breeding females are required to have a license from the United States Department of Agriculture.

In Virginia, only a handful of dog breeders hold a USDA license; many of the unlicensed sell to pet stores, anyway.

Others bypassed pet stores altogether and sold directly to the public though classified ads and the Internet, where breeders are not required to have a license and can operate without any oversight whatsoever.

A Sick Business

All this out-of-control breeding has other consequences. Consumers find the market flooded with sickly puppies. Many buy a puppy who seems healthy, only to find out weeks or months later that their new pet has serious health problems.

And Virginia's puppy mills significantly contribute to the state's pet overpopulation crisis: last year, shelters in Virginia had to euthanize more than 42,000 dogs for lack of homes.

In Bad Company

Unless Virginia does something fast, it is destined to be known as the next puppy mill state. The HSUS urges legislators to require higher standards for breeding kennels within the state, as Virginia's puppy mill problem only accelerates a nation-wide epidemic.

Puppy mills all over the country are producing dogs much like Virginia—under the radar and out of sight. Legislators in all states can help stem this cruelty by requiring large-scale breeders to be licensed, inspected, and held to high standards.

What You Can Do

Meanwhile, The HSUS urges dog lovers everywhere to become part of the solution.

Perform your own inspection of any breeder from whom you are considering buying a pet. Pet stores love to tout that they buy only from "local breeders"—wooing potential spenders into thinking the pups came from a good situation. But "local breeders" can and often are local puppy mills.

Help stamp out the puppy mill trade entirely by choosing to adopt your next pet from a shelter or rescue group instead. There are millions of lovable animals across the country in need of a good home.

• You have to understand…HSUS is NOT the same as the Humane Society or ASPCA. HSUS is code name for PETA. These people are such hypocrites! A couple of years ago, the PETA chapter in Norfolk, VA got caught red-handed for disposing of THOUSANDS of euthanized dog and car carcasses into the dumpsters behind a local Piggly Wiggly supermarket. People thought they were bringing in stray dogs and cats to be rescued. Instead, these animals were systematically put to death.

• I have gone into a petshop and talked to the manager…
    this is when they had a basenji for sale.
    I wrote up all sort of info re the local basenji club, basenji health info, my contact info...a nice little handout.
    I asked the owner if I could leave it with them to give to the new basenji owners.
    I was polite, tried to be kind, and cried all the way home from that place.
    The new owners did contact me and I did help them with some behavior issues they were having.
    I also talked them info having her fixed.
    It was not ideal, but it was what I did.
    I so wish selling companion animals was not allowed buy these puppymill businesses.
    Maybe if the states came up with some type of "lemon" law for these businesses that sell sick/defective dogs???

• @sharronhurlbut:

I have gone into a petshop and talked to the manager…
    this is when they had a basenji for sale.
    I wrote up all sort of info re the local basenji club, basenji health info, my contact info...a nice little handout.
    I asked the owner if I could leave it with them to give to the new basenji owners.
    I was polite, tried to be kind, and cried all the way home from that place.
    The new owners did contact me and I did help them with some behavior issues they were having.
    I also talked them info having her fixed.
    It was not ideal, but it was what I did.
    I so wish selling companion animals was not allowed buy these puppymill businesses.
    Maybe if the states came up with some type of "lemon" law for these businesses that sell sick/defective dogs???

I did the same thing, but I don't think the packet ever went home with the puppy because about three months after she was purchased the new owners contacted a local breeder because they came across her website. The dog wasn't working out for them, and they needed some help. The breeder took the dog, and she went into the BRAT system. The info that I originally left included information about where to turn for help, and community information out there, and BRAT info…

I do think it is still a worthwhile thing to do if there is a pet store near you selling Basenjis though. Every now and then, you might get an shop owner that will pass the info on, and you might get a puppy owner that uses the info.

• The good news for me is that this place has not had a basenji pup to sell since the one I saw.
    But sadly, they always do have puppies to sell.

• @sharronhurlbut:

The good news for me is that this place has not had a basenji pup to sell since the one I saw.
    But sadly, they always do have puppies to sell.

Yes, our news was good as well…because that store never had another Basenji puppy (they had to drop her price WAY down to even sell her)..and then a few months after that they closed completely! YAY!

• We are very thankful here in No. Cal that there are very, very few pet stores that sell puppies period….

• I think as more folks become educated, they learn that even if they did buy that "doggie in the window" there are better ways to find a healthy, happy companion animal.
    We now have pet food stores that just sell food and supplies…no animals at all.
    I hope it comes to that across the country, in our lifetime...

• We have several supply only stores here in PA as well. The bad thing is thats probably because pet stores can't compete with the puppy mills. A lot of them just sell the puppies in the paper not to pet stores. The one supply only store had a guinea pig rescue one time…we brought it home. They gave it to us..they knew we had others at home and we take good care of it. I try to go back there when possible. I feel like they're being responsible.

• @elena86:

You have to understand…HSUS is NOT the same as the Humane Society or ASPCA. HSUS is code name for PETA. These people are such hypocrites! A couple of years ago, the PETA chapter in Norfolk, VA got caught red-handed for disposing of THOUSANDS of euthanized dog and car carcasses into the dumpsters behind a local Piggly Wiggly supermarket. People thought they were bringing in stray dogs and cats to be rescued. Instead, these animals were systematically put to death.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think the message is the same though. I am not pro-PETA but I do think when they initially came into the public eye they had good intentions.

• @elena86:

You have to understand…HSUS is NOT the same as the Humane Society or ASPCA. HSUS is code name for PETA. These people are such hypocrites!

I'd really appreciate it if you could provide a little more info regarding this statement. As someone who previously worked for HSUS and now regularly works with them, I'm a bit offended and a little concerned that you would make such a bold statement.

I've seen nothing that would link these two separate groups together and I certainly haven't seen the HSUS taking part in the extreme tactics utilized by PETA.

• Hi all -

I am not a basenji owner, although my next door neighbor fostered and then adopted the most adorable one - named Joey!!!

I actually found your site by googling to find out what happens to unsold puppies at a petstore, and low an behold, I ended up here.

Anyway, I read through everything posted here, and saw that there were several people very concerned about the pet store experiences that they had (I believe one was Stella from Cleveland Heights) - so I googled to see if there was a place that would allow you to report the kind of hideous abuse she is talking about - 68 - 250 puppies dead in such a short time - heartbreaking.

AND - there is!!! Here's the link: http://www.petstoreabuse.com/cando.html

Please take the time to follow the steps to report problem petstores… it is one very strong thing we can do to stop these stores from continuing their horrible practices. No animal anywhere should ever have to suffer that treatment.

And please, please - send this link on to your animal-loving friends. I think so many of us want to do something, but don't know if there is anywhere that will listen - here is a place that WILL.

Thank you so much, and keep on loving your beautiful dogs!

:o) Tara

Suggested Topics