So are these Af's different than our domestic B's?

• I've tried to make note of any differences I see between these two Af puppies and any other Basenji puppy we've had over the years.

This occured twice, the first time I really didn't give it much thought, but when it happened again it made me stop to think why?

Sometimes our B's eat some grass and a few minutes later you see them somewhere with that look….....I'm going to throw up. They start heaving before anything comes out.....nothing out of the ordinary there.

When these two Af pups heard our B's going into vomit mode they go absolutely nuts. They run right over to the vomitting B with excitement and can't wait for the yuck that comes up???????:eek: :eek: :eek:
    I couldn't even chase them away, I mean they where as persistent as I've ever seen a dog.
    I had never seen any of ours do that. I've seen them stand by the sick dog and after the dog throws up they want to smell or ever try to eat it, but I can holler and they leave it.
    Why are these Af pups so dam excited about this event?????

Then I started thinking, there wasn't anyone putting a bowl of puppy chow down for them where they came from and it's more than likely how their meals where delivered.......EEEEEEEEEE:eek: :eek:

I don't know this for a fact, but it makes sense to me. Gross, but interesting.

Comments?:)

• They run right over to the vomiting B with excitement and can't wait for the yuck that comes up???????
    I couldn't even chase them away, I mean they whereas persistent as I've ever seen a dog.
    I had never seen any of ours do that.

Our dogs are the same, human or dog puke. Its like a bell ringing-dinner is served.

That is how dogs feed their young in the wild.

One dog also will, on occasion eat fresh poop, his or the other dog's as well. The other dog finds goose poop a delicacy. Both love bunny poop.

Dogs can be such lovely animals.

• @Barklessdog:

Our dogs are the same, human or dog puke. Its like a bell ringing-dinner is served.

That is how dogs feed their young in the wild.

One dog also will, on occasion eat fresh poop, his or the other dog's as well. The other dog finds goose poop a delicacy. Both love bunny poop.

Dogs can be such lovely animals.

I've seen ours do all that too, but not the way these got all excited…....I've never seen anything like that. They'd follow the sick one around making noises with their mouths positioned right there for the drop........waiting.

• They'd follow the sick one around making noises with their mouths positioned right there for the drop….....waiting.

That is unusual.

I am envious and really pity your situation at the same time. Such a great experience and such unique dogs.

Hope they will understand Swiss???

• @Barklessdog:

That is unusual.

I am envious and really pity your situation at the same time. Such a great experience and such unique dogs.

Hope they will understand Swiss???

Oh it's not that bad, once you have a bunch, what's a couple more?:D

They have blended in with the young group we have, the oldest two females being four and the two males are just two. I think had our's all been older, it would certainly be more difficult. I don't let them around our older B's, they don't have the patience for pups anymore.
    They are going to Finland for a specified time(120 days)and then the Red girl is going to Sweden and the boy stays in Finland. Eventually they will be seperated:(
    I've always been fascinated with the African aspect of these dogs so it is a dream come true for me.

• ugggh yeah. rocky will eat his own vomit and poo. Mia hasnt gotten sick yet, but she doesnt eat her poo. lol

• Mine don't react that strongly to vomit. They are interested (some of them) but not crazy. I think you are right, it has to do with them having experience with adults regurging for them. Most of our domestics have probably never experienced that as puppies, since we feed them chow from the beginning.

• I've never seen Dallas go for his poo…although there was the ONE TIME he pooped in his crate & by the time I got home it was just little bits of it everywhere. I dind't even realize it was poop, thinking it was leftover kibble, & picked it up & sniffed it before realizing my terrible mistake! :eek:

So maybe munched on some of that...I guess I will never know.

He's only vomited once [bile] & I immediately caught it so picked him up before he ever showed signs that he was interested.

• @Basenji_Boy:

I've tried to make note of any differences I see between these two Af puppies and any other Basenji puppy we've had over the years.

This occured twice, the first time I really didn't give it much thought, but when it happened again it made me stop to think why?

Sometimes our B's eat some grass and a few minutes later you see them somewhere with that look….....I'm going to throw up. They start heaving before anything comes out.....nothing out of the ordinary there.

When these two Af pups heard our B's going into vomit mode they go absolutely nuts. They run right over to the vomitting B with excitement and can't wait for the yuck that comes up???????:eek: :eek: :eek:
    I couldn't even chase them away, I mean they where as persistent as I've ever seen a dog.
    I had never seen any of ours do that. I've seen them stand by the sick dog and after the dog throws up they want to smell or ever try to eat it, but I can holler and they leave it.

Then I started thinking, there wasn't anyone putting a bowl of puppy chow down for them where they came from and it's more than likely how their meals where delivered.......EEEEEEEEEE:eek: :eek:

I would believe that is how they ate. I know with Mickii's litter (not new Af) she would totally feed her pups that way…if she was left to her own way....
    Pretty natural out there in the wild...

• Senji is a "gentleman". The few times he's vomited in the house, he "cleans up" his mess. If he's outside, he usually just leaves it there.

• Vomit, haha!!! after reading these vomit posts, Sahara does not do this!!!!

• This for a bitch and puppies is a very natural thing.. and while we might think… YUK... this is how it is done in the wild.. and many bitches will revert to this... like I said, my Mickii did... now on the other had, my Maggii was "jumped" by her pups after she ate and she "gave up her food" by reflex... and I can tell you she was NOT impressed...gggg

• @Basenji_Boy:

I've tried to make note of any differences I see between these two Af puppies and any other Basenji puppy we've had over the years.

My dogs get excited when another dog starts to vomit. It's gross,and I always have to really hose down the grass where they've vomited and they STILL sniff the area like crazy.

Nasty stuff…

• Mmmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmmm tasty!

Well, Kiya has never had the pleasure of another dog puking around her but when I had the stomach flu a few months ago she was right there next to me in the bathroom, sitting on the kids stool next to the toilet, and I had to literally remove her head from the toilet as I was throwing up. After I removed her from the bathroom she sat outside the door whining to get in like I was depriving her of something great.

As for poop, for her it is deer poop. Now that stuff is like caviar to her and she goes nutso when she finds a fresh pile first thing in the morning after the deer have moved from where they had bedded down for the night.

I guess we always have to keep in mind that B's are not far removed from the wild and have not had centuries of domestication as the other breeds so it is not surprising to see mother nature shining through, showing up in their behaviors. (although I have seen other breeds do this as well…some dogs just like "leftovers" in any form)

• I am glad I read this thread! I thought Trixie was just being gross but she will vomit outside and go to eat it. Yuck!! I have to drag her away. As far as poop goes she prefers the left overs in the cat box. When my mother-in-law was visiting she would just about knock people down to try and get to the litter box! Gross creatures sometimes!

• Kit prefers the litter box leftovers as well. Luckily, she doesn't show much interest in eating dog poo or vomit but if she has access to the cat box for even a split second there is litter everywhere. She's like a kid on Chirstmas!

• Jayden is super gross when it comes to what he'll eat: poop, vomit, and, if he pees on the patio, he'll lick that. Honest!!! We feed him and we feed him very well! Yucccchhhhh!

Pat

Suggested Topics