• If there is a brand that you really like but you local store doesn't carry it, talk to the owner. I buy most of my pet food from small local retailers. When they have not had what I wanted, I let them know. Many have been willing to order a specific food for me.

• lvoss is right, many of the smaller specialty stores will order for you. Also good is Wellness, they just came out with a new brand that has no grains and ones without chicken fat…

• @tanza:

lvoss is right, many of the smaller specialty stores will order for you. Also good is Wellness, they just came out with a new brand that has no grains and ones without chicken fat…

Yup, Wellness Core, they also have a fish based food…it is more moderate in protein than EVO or Orijens.

And I third what lvoss & Tanza said about the special order...my favourite store locally said they can pretty much special order any food I want.

• Also Merrick's is releasing a grain free food. I think some retailers are already carrying it. I got a free sample a month ago at the Orange County Pet Expo.

• Blue Buffalo carries the Wilderness grain free formula too!!
    I would use it if I don't have a Fanconi dog that is not doing
    too well on high protein food.

• @chiya:

Blue Buffalo carries the Wilderness grain free formula too!!
    I would use it if I don't have a Fanconi dog that is not doing
    too well on high protein food.

And to that note… isn't it great that we have a Fanconi test now and that if people test before breeding no one ever has to live and care for a Fanconi Affected Basenji again... (as in my monthly public service annoucement)
    Remember to strip test monthly (and do it for 3 to 4 days in a row...) and/or do a DNA test for Fanconi

• I don't know if this helps but the ONLY medications that work for me are a combination of Zyrtec/Nasonex. I've been on everything and that combo works for me. I have pretty bad allergies and have 2 B's with me in the house at all times…

• I am allergic to my baby girl too 🙂 i get red and puffy where she scratches me and i get itchy eys bad…BAD . 🙂 I find that bathing her once a month with OATMEAL shampoo and then brushing her outside or running my hands throuegh her coat every day (she loves) and giving her her own pillows helps me alot and when i act up I take a benadryl 🙂

she seems to be worse in the CAR, when wwe go places, and wheh shes nervous or just dirty. It was worse when she was a puppy but now im fine (1.5 yr later)

• My boyfriend is very allergic to animals, and was miserable until he started taking zyrtec (he's not very allergic to my B, mostly to my cat).
    I have tons of allergies to seasonal stuff. I love febreeze allergen reducing spray. Using that along with keeping the house clean (using a vacuum with a hepa filter) is one of the best ways (in my opinion) to keep the allergens down. I also use ALL allergen reducing laundry detergent. I love my ionic air purifier, I noticed a HUGE difference the first day I plugged it in.

• Both my sons have allergies diagnosed by a professional allergist and do fine with Basenjis. We have just got our 3rd B two weeks ago and no sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes. I think for you that it MUST be something the dog is bringing in or perhaps your dog is one that performs one particular way and my family lucked out with 3 of the other way. Maybe someday they will have a test like the Fanconi that shows the DNA of this family tree has more dander and the DNA of that heritage has less dander to near none.

I do agree with the smart person that has posted on this site the best idea I have ever heard: rub a t-shirt all over the possible family addition, sleep with the t-shirt, and THEN decide. I know it is too late for you but a good thing to repost for readers.

Good luck with your situation.

Suggested Topics