• I cannot believe that tomorrow Dallas will be 12 weeks old nor how big he is getting! It seems like just yesterday our breeder was telling us he was born! My oh my do they grow like weeds! lol

Dallas (& his brother Nike) at only 5 weeks old

Dallas at 9 weeks old during our trip home (with my boyfriend).

Dallas @ 10 weeks, already shredding paper I may point out!

10 weeks again & loving his daddy's chest as a bed (How he is comfortable like that I will never know…)

With me (his momma) at 11 weeks 🙂

Oh & for the person who mentioned this (I believe it was Pat) the pink line in his nose is already almost gone! It was so cute while it's lasted though!

• 12 weeks, seriously oh wow I never even noticed lol…What a bad mommy I am 🙂
    I did notice that Nike is growing thankfully, I am too scared of the puppy stage, whicle it's cute and all, I'm always scared I'm going to break him hahaha.

• @Mia:

12 weeks, seriously oh wow I never even noticed lol…What a bad mommy I am 🙂
    I did notice that Nike is growing thankfully, I am too scared of the puppy stage, whicle it's cute and all, I'm always scared I'm going to break him hahaha.

Yea they are 12 weeks tomorrow but actually won't be 3 months old until the 21st. I suppose there was an extra week somewhere along the months passing by.

And although I love him being tiny so I can carry him I am also always afraid I'm going to break him! LOL. Plus I am ready for him to be housetrained!

• @Ninabeana26:

Plus I am ready for him to be housetrained!

Hallejuia to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we now have a patio made out of pavers and if the lawn is damp he'll pee on the pavers lol!!! He just looks at me as if to say "what at least it's not on the carpet" :mad:

• @Mia:

Hallejuia to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we now have a patio made out of pavers and if the lawn is damp he'll pee on the pavers lol!!! He just looks at me as if to say "what at least it's not on the carpet" :mad:

I wish I could get Dallas to go on our concrete patio!!! He just won't so I have drag him out into the rain & will him to go potty. lol

• lol…what I saw in a training video, is everytime he pees outside say "go pee" or "go potty" (which ever you prefer) while they are actually peeing and after a while the word will register, so when you go out and you say "go pee" hopefully he'll listen. Nike gets the hint, because when I go outside with him, sometimes he heads back to teh doggy door to go in, and I say go pee and he goes on the grass and pees 🙂

• Yea, you are doing good, it takes time and patience for them to learn to go outside. I say, "Go Potty" and I treat as soon as she goes. Do not wait, dogs forget what you are treating for if you do wait, it has to be right away. Have the treats in your pocket, and I got my B to go out in the rain by going out with her and holding an umbrella over her, to this day I have to do this if it is pouring. But what the heck, she goes and that is what I want. If it is not raining too hard she will go outside by herself, but she will hold it as long as she can. My B is 2 and she learned to potty outside in 2 months, but faster once I got the doggie door and underground fencing. She still likes for me to go out with her at night to potty, she doesn't like the darkness. Just be consistent, and have the pup on a leash and don't give up until she goes. I remember it taking forever in the beginning, I would be outside and wait and wait, and when she did go I would holler, " Good Girl, Go Potty Outside" and treat, make a very big deal of her going. Worked for me, Good Luck!!!!! BTW, I don't have to treat now, but if it is raining I treat for potty outside. haha!!!! That is such a big thing for a Basenji, You Gotta Love Them!!!!!:eek:

• Simply adorable!

• Wow, time does fly! I am sure it was just last week that you got Dallas! LOL
    I can't believe we've already had Jazz for three years!!!! and Keoki is already one!!!!!

Yes, potty-training takes time, but they do get – but long after you've had enough of wiping up pee from the floor. Telling them what they're doing, "Potty" "Pee" whatever as they go outside really does help.

When the weather is cold and mine just don't want to go outside, they'll jump off the porch and then right back on, asking to be let in. All I have to do is say, "You get back out there and go potty right now!" and they'll both run out, pee really fast, and run back. They learn quickly, really, just what that is called.

I just love the way the white lies on his face; such a cute marking! He does have an irresistable face.

• @Mia:

lol…what I saw in a training video, is everytime he pees outside say "go pee" or "go potty" (which ever you prefer) while they are actually peeing and after a while the word will register, so when you go out and you say "go pee" hopefully he'll listen. Nike gets the hint, because when I go outside with him, sometimes he heads back to teh doggy door to go in, and I say go pee and he goes on the grass and pees 🙂

This is the right idea. When I got Ruby, I wasn't exactly sure of her potty habits (she was 2 when I got her) and we had a few accidents in the house. Anyway, anytime she would go outside, while she was going I would kind of do a soft chant "potty, potty, good potty" or "poop, poop, good poop" and as soon as she was done she'd always get a treat. Within a couple days as soon as I took her out to do her business, I would say "potty Ru" or "poop Ru" and she would go. I also was very consistent in doing the "praise" chant when I took her for walks and she had to go.

For me, I find the one word commands work better than something proceeded by "go". In my mind there is less room for confusion.

• My, my! Time does fly. So cute…keep those pictures coming!

PS We used "hurry up" for Nala. Now (at 9) when we say it, she just looks at us like, "You've got to be kidding me." LOL

Suggested Topics