• goodness, for $750, i think i'd just go buy every video on this page:
    http://www.tawzerdogvideos.com/Leslie-Nelson.htm

and have a nice dinner and bottle of wine to boot. I actually have Shaping the Future and have watched about 1/2 of it (it's 6 dvd's long, so that's not quite as pathetic as it sounds).

if you really want an in the flesh person, ask to watch them in a class before committing your $$ to them. see if you like their style and how they deal with the dogs first.

• See if there is a dog training club. Tampa has Dog Training Club of Tampa, they work with puppies, basic obedience, agility, conformation, for very reasonable rates. They are all volunteer club members but most are great teachers, they team teach so there are at least 2 instructors. Check to see if Orlando has anything like that. DTOT is about $75 for 6 or 8 classes, once a week.

Otherwise, as Agile says, buy some great books and videos and go for it.

• Well ODTC.com (Orlando Dog Training Club) does Older Puppy & Beginner Class
    for $110, 8 weeks long. They just started this week so if I ended up with the 10 month old I'd have to wait two months to attend the next class. That sound like the one y'all do there?

• @Mantis:

Do not waste your money on in home obedience training. Go to Petsmart and take their basic obedience class. It runs around $99 for 8 weeks of classes. The socialization and disctractions in the store are important to teach your basenji to focus.

I did Petsmart training with my basenji and it was worth it! I have my puppy enrolled in the Dog Training Club of St Pete for a little less. $80 for 8 weeks.

I totally agree with this. I took my girl to PetSmart for the 8 week class and she did very well. Of course, as time has gone on, she has decided to keep some, dump some, but a lot of that is lack of consistency on my part. Their classes are very well run, and not expensive.;)

• the big box shop training is only as good as the trainer. it is, like many things, hit or miss. ask to watch a class with that trainer before spending any money

Suggested Topics