• Alex had to spend a few hours alone today, and has started up his dementia related pacing again. After pacing on the patio for a couple hours, his paw pads are now raw and bleeding. I've got 2 booties to put on his back feet but he refuses to keep them on.

I'm about at wits end. I don't know what to put on his paws to stop the bleeding, and can't get him to stop pacing when he's alone. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Poor little guy. He probably needs some antibiotic ointment so infection doesn't set in. If the bleeding really won't stop–try stiptic power. You may need to check his toenails, too, for bleeding. Can you put something on the patio or wherever you leave him so that he doesn't have to be on anything hard like concrete? There are special creams you can get at Petco, etc--that are supposed to help protect/strenghten that skin--but I don't know how well they work.

• Is he good in a crate? Could he stay in there from now on if he needs to be home alone? Thats too bad about your dog, poor guy…I hope his paws heal up soon!
    I have no idea if it works for this or not, but I was looking into something to put on paws for walking in snow/ice and someone on here suggested paw wax. It is a wax that puts a protective barrier between the paw and the ground. I forgot the exact name, but it was found on Amazon. I am sure typing in paw wax or something like that on google would help. Good luck!

• You can also try the liquid skin, might help….

• @Jylly18:

Is he good in a crate? Could he stay in there from now on if he needs to be home alone? Thats too bad about your dog, poor guy…I hope his paws heal up soon!

No, he's never been crate trained and goes nuts if he's confined. He's always had free roam of the yard when we're gone. The problem has only surfaced since he started pacing due to dementia. We've tried drugs for that as well but they didn't help much.

When it's really cold he'll go inside his house and not pace, but now that it is warming up he's started the pacing again.

• Seems like the bloody pads are only the by product of a worse problem. Alex has been up for almost over an hour rapidly pacing around the room, bumping into walls, etc. He just won't calm down or tire out. 😞

• Can you give him something to chew on to keep him busy??

What does the vet say about all this?? This is very strange behavior.

• @Craigh:

Seems like the bloody pads are only the by product of a worse problem. Alex has been up for almost over an hour rapidly pacing around the room, bumping into walls, etc. He just won't calm down or tire out. 😞

Poor little guy. This sounds a lot like when my neighbor's grandson's cap gun set Pepper off into a "fight or flight" mode. She paced around the house non stop–did not lay down to sleep for two days. I took her to the vet the first day--they tried tranquilizer pills--but she was so stressed, she couldn't hold down any food. What they did after a couple of days of this was have me bring her in and leave her there, and they injected her with a sedative. I left her at the vets for a couple of days. She was fine after that. I don't know if something could have set Alex off or if this is something longer term.... I would take him to the vet as soon as you can.

• Until you get him to the vet, can you temporarily put an old hunk of carpet on the patio to make it easier on his paws?

• Patio is too big to put down a piece of carpet - it's about the size of a very large bedroom. I'm trying to keep him inside as much as possible, and have put booties on his back paws. Also ordered some Musher's Secret to try on his paws.

The vet has previously diagnosed the pacing as dementia (the sysmptoms come and go). He's 15+ years old, and has shown increasing signs of demintia over the past 18 months. He's been on/off medication for it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Dealing with an aging Basenji isn't always fun. 😞

• Poor dog 😞 I don't have experience with this to offer suggestions but I truly hope that you find something that works for you. I know I would hate to see my baby hurting himself like that & not be able to stop it. Hang in there.

• It sounds like he's going through an extreme episode? Perhaps there's something your vet can try–like an injection or putting him on an IV for a short period of time to see if that will provide any relief.

• @Jylly18:

I have no idea if it works for this or not, but I was looking into something to put on paws for walking in snow/ice and someone on here suggested paw wax. It is a wax that puts a protective barrier between the paw and the ground. I forgot the exact name, but it was found on Amazon. I am sure typing in paw wax or something like that on google would help. Good luck!

It was Musher's Secret, you sent me the name a while ago because I was looking for something too for protecting their pads while hiking and biking. I think I got mine at KV Vet Supply online.

• Update:

We started Alex back on his Seleginine RX. Not sure if it would have made that quick of an impact, but he slept through the night last night. Pacing has reduced noticibly, and his pads have healed enough so that they've stopped bleeding. Good news, because he'll have to spend a little time alone this weekend. Our 16 year old daughter was admitted to the hospital with the flu yesterday, so we'll be gone for a good part of the day.

• Oh, dear! You have your hands full! I sure hope the meds will help Alex with this. It IS hard dealing with aging dogs (well, aging anything really)….my thoughts are with you.

• Glad to hear that you got some success with the meds for Alex, as I understand these meds, the effect is pretty immediate, or so I am told. Luckly my elders done have that problem….
    However, I do have to say.... I would much prefer a house full of puppies to clean up after then a couple of my elders..ggg... The pee spots are smaller...

On another note, since my guys have accidents much more often now, I was using way to much of different rug cleaners and things like Natures Miracle. I have gone back to using good old Vingar and Water, and I have to say, I had forgotten how well it works and its cheap.... The vingar smell disapates within about an hour... and it is better (in fact recommended) for the Pergo floor

• I'm so glad to hear that Alex has gotten some relief and rest. I'm sorry to hear about you daughter being ill now. I hope she's doing better real soon.

Suggested Topics