• I've started taking EL D to obedience classes (yes he's 5 yrs old but he's been good and learns fast). He doesn't really like to stay in class too long though. At the last session, we still had about 15 minutes to go when EL D just starting basenji-crying. 😞 First it was just a few little quiet crys, then it started to get louder and louder and it really echoed in the room too. Everyone was laughing at him. Poor EL D. :o

• When I was taking Duke to classes, he had his good and bad days. I always brought extra-extra savory treats, left over cut up pork chops or steak, cheddar cheese to help distract from the undesired behavior. It was hard to hear the instructor with my noisy dog.

• I took Cody to his first obidenace classes when he was five also. The very first class he slipped his martindale collar (don't ask me how:rolleyes: ) Ran to the front door, sat down and cried. We where about 15 min into the class. I think the trainer needs to be patient and understanding that some B's need to be flexiable about their training time. They have bad days too. I use an animal behavioralist with my B's because not only does she train standard commands but works on "issues" at the same time.

• I took Nicky to obedience class when I first got him at around 5 months old then didn't continue. Took him to class when I took Rally to puppy kindergarten, he was 3 years old. Didn't continue with either of them. Took him back to class when Rio went to puppy kindergarten, he was 7 years old. Not only did I continue all three have been going to class since then and now Sophie too. Nicky really enjoys classes but there are days when he just is not interested in working. There are other days he works really well for about the first 45 minutes or so and then decides it has been enough. He starts to sniff around a lot and won't respond to what I am asking him to do. He is not very vocal normally so he doesn't cry. Sophie gets very vocal when she is through. She finds class very challenging because she really wants to socialize with her friends in class and that makes it hard for her to concentrate on work.

Yesterday in agility class I had Rio in mid course when she saw that my husband had opened the van and was getting Rally into her crate, she took off and jumped into the van ready to take her nap while Sophie went to class.

• Dallas is 12 weeks old but I haven't decided whether to take him to an obediance class yet or not…

I have given it a lot of thought & decided I would first see how I do on my own. I/he seem to be doing pretty well as he has learned the basic sit, down, look, etc. I am just worried about the socialization process more than obediance training. Do you think taking him to the dogpark/petsmart is enough socialization? I do not want him to be aggressive with other dogs!

• I recommend that all my puppy people enroll in at a minimum a puppy kindergarten course. The puppy kindergarten classes are often as much about socialization as they are teaching basic behaviors. They are also a great resource as your puppy hits those trying times where you are pulling your hair out and asking "what in the world to I bring into my home?"

• Though trips to petsmart and the dog park can provide socialization they are often not really enough and often not started early enough. At 12 weeks Dallas is old enough to begin a puppy class and will get a lot out of it including learning to work on all those behaviors you have started on with some really big distractions, like other puppies.

• @Ninabeana26:

Dallas is 12 weeks old but I haven't decided whether to take him to an obediance class yet or not…

I have given it a lot of thought & decided I would first see how I do on my own. I/he seem to be doing pretty well as he has learned the basic sit, down, look, etc. I am just worried about the socialization process more than obediance training. Do you think taking him to the dogpark/petsmart is enough socialization? I do not want him to be aggressive with other dogs!

In a word, NO, it is not enough.. IMO, puppy kindergarden is a must!

• Keep him away from adam sandler's granny!

Suggested Topics