• We have a Basenji puppy (8 weeks old) for over a week now.
    Her name is Gaia
    Because she is just a little pup, we don't walk to long with her outside.
    But she has to be house-trained.
    At this very moment it is raining en windy outside (The Netherlands) and we know that some Basenjis hate cold weather.
    Also Gaia want's to stay in with this kind of weather.
    So now we thinking about a sweater or something like that.
    I already read some reactions about this subject on this forum.
    What I wanna know is:
    Doesn't a sweater make the Basenjis body to sensitive for cold when the body is used to the sweater ?

• I normally keep my house cooler, and it's pretty cold outside, I just got Tiggy used to going out and doing his business and coming back in, we have little garden for this. But for our evening walks I do put a coat one him. I put one on my boxer too and for just as short of hair he doesn't mind the cold but you can tell he is cold.

I look at it this way, if you are cold enough to put on a heavier jacket then your pup will be cold too, so she would like to have a sweater on too. Some don't like them, some will tolerate them, others hate them. Tiggy he LOVES to wear coats, sweaters and even t-shirts

• Okay, thanks
    We will look for something warm and nice for her to wear!

• We always had Nala in a sweater for the cold weather, especially when she was a pup. She got used to wearing one that way and still does to this day!

• Medjai actually gets along fine with most of the weather, but I do have a jacket for him if it is too rainy or cold.

You should also do a search on here. There is a person looking for a breeder in the netherlands to talk to about getting a puppy, and I figure you might be good help as you live in the same country and have a pup.

• There are many places here that make puppy sweaters.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+1298+18054&pcatid=18054

As with most basenjis they will only go out in bad weather if you go with them.

You can always just carry her out with yourself in bad weather- our breeder did that with all her dogs, both puppies & adults- she was in charge not the dogs!

• And I know it looks silly, but sometimes I have to hold an umbrella over my B to get him to go outside in the rain.

• me too! I put on a waterproof down jacket with a huge hood and I don't even feel the rain. So the umbrella's for the dog. We get less of the wet dog smell that way. Not that it's even that bad.

• @mauigirl:

me too! I put on a waterproof down jacket with a huge hood and I don't even feel the rain. So the umbrella's for the dog. We get less of the wet dog smell that way. Not that it's even that bad.

Even when my Basenjis are wet, I don't get wet dog smell?…

• I was going to say that it may be because Zip has longer hair for a basenji but she usually has her waterproof coat on, so that longer hair doesn't get wet anyway. Hmm. I probably smell it more because I sit down on the floor with her once inside and wipe off her feet. I don't know if I could smell it standing up..

• After moving to Idaho, our 1st winter my girl adjusted to coats really quick. At night when she needs to go out if I open the door and she thinks it too cold, she will just give me the look and I will put her coat on, and off she goes. My girl doesn't like anything she has to put her legs into though.

• Hallo hoe gaat het met je?
    You have an 8 week old basenji, how cute. This brings back lots of lovely memories about Cairo being that old and wrinkly and very cute. Cairo was scared when we first went outside walking, and it took a while for him to build his confidence. I don't know if a sweater would make Basenji sensitive to cool weather, maybe they will adapt later anyway. Cairo loves his little coat we got him when its cold. When we get it out he comes running up to have it put on, and then prances around in it for a while wagging his little tail from time to time and flicking his head before jumping. LOL. And he stops shivering when he's wearing it. Though I once discovered him to shiver for sympathy to come in from a light rain, and when he was allowed he then ran back out in the rain, and sat there looking at me, as if to say.. haa tricked you! Enjoy your lovely little one. Be great to see a pic of the little one all dressed up.

• @Barklessdog:

There are many places here that make puppy sweaters.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+1298+18054&pcatid=18054

As with most basenjis they will only go out in bad weather if you go with them.

You can always just carry her out with yourself in bad weather- our breeder did that with all her dogs, both puppies & adults- she was in charge not the dogs!

Luckily we live in Florida so we don't see too much cold weather. However, in the AM it can sometimes be a bit chilly so I have to pick up Dallas & carry him to his potty place of he will not step on the grass, same for when it's wet from rain/sprinklers. You are bigger than he/she is so be the boss & just move them. They'll learn!

Oh & I looked at that website & am in love with the argyle coats. I think I am just going to have to get it…although in Florida it might be a bit of a waste of money? :p

Suggested Topics