• tanza..

about those links you posted..

the first one (of the 3 basenjis) is also on puppyfind.com

i was browsing on there yesterday & saw them.
    it had a kennel website too.. and they didnt have basenjis listed as dogs they breed

i think it might be that they bred the male with the two females and now dont want to breed them anymore & are selling them. if i find the link ill post it

• @hdolbow:

http://www.puppyfind.com/view_listing/?list_id=qi0ao4f011&sid=f05e7df36c5fc031bdc4e18ead3f7c12&back=%2Ffor_sale%2F%3Fbreed_id%3D13%26country%3D%26state%3D%26page%3D12%26order_by%3Dbirth_date%26back%3D%252Fbreed%252F%253Fbreed_id%253D13%2526back%253D%25252Fbrowse%25252F%25253Fstr%25253Db%252526page%25253D1

wow i take back my last post.. they are only 13 months.. maybe they were planning to breed, but saw how they were a lot of work and gave up?

I looked at their kennel website & they seem like a definite puppymill type place. I mean, how can you breed that many various dogs in one place?!? I wouldn't trust these people as far as I can throw them! I would NEVER buy a puppy from someone who breeds 15 different breeds!

• So I called the ad in the paper to see what the deal was. I spoke to the gentleman for about 10 minutes. He seemed nice but this is definitely a BYB situation. He actually lived only 5 minutes down the road from me…in a trailor park. Not that living in a trailor is a bad thing but I just don't see it as being a great place to breed dogs!

I asked him if his dogs were from champion bloodlines, had been properly tested, etc. He said the father was a champ but not the mother & said they were current on all shots/vaccines (not what I asked...). When I mentioned Fanconi he kind of hesitated but then said "oh...um...yea..." like he didn't even have a clue what I was talking about :eek:

Gosh I want to go see the puppies now! I'm worried for them that they will end up in the mall petstore near us if people don't start buying them. He said he still has all 4 & that they've been in the paper for 2 weeks now. Maybe Mark would let me get a second so she & Dallas could grow up together :p (Kidding of course)

• @Ninabeana26:

I looked at their kennel website & they seem like a definite puppymill type place. I mean, how can you breed that many various dogs in one place?!? I wouldn't trust these people as far as I can throw them! I would NEVER buy a puppy from someone who breeds 15 different breeds!

Funny, I posted a review of the breeder {urging caution} and it posted my name as Heather. WTH???? Oh well…...

These people also do "designer dogs" and are willing to "trade" the Basenjis for small breeds.

Fishy, fishy, fishy.

• i didnt realize there was such a thing has "designer puppies" hahaha

they're dogs, not shoes or handbags.

• @JazzysMom:

Funny, I posted a review of the breeder {urging caution} and it posted my name as Heather. WTH???? Oh well…...

These people also do "designer dogs" and are willing to "trade" the Basenjis for small breeds.

Fishy, fishy, fishy.

haha probably bc i was logged in to that site when i sent the link.. haha

• @JazzysMom:

Fishy, fishy, fishy.

Yea I saw that too! Definitely fishy! I would hope people would not be stupid enough to buy from people like them…to see the signs & run the other way. Unfortunately they don't because otherwise these puppymills wouldn't be in business. So sad 😞

• @Ninabeana26:

Yea I saw that too! Definitely fishy! I would hope people would not be stupid enough to buy from people like them…to see the signs & run the other way. Unfortunately they don't because otherwise these puppymills wouldn't be in business. So sad 😞

People for sure buy from them… it is amazing how people with just pop onto a website and whip out the credit card for a living breathing animal.. with no sense of what they are doing...

• So I called the ad in the paper to see what the deal was. I spoke to the gentleman for about 10 minutes. He seemed nice but this is definitely a BYB situation. He actually lived only 5 minutes down the road from me…in a trailor park. Not that living in a trailor is a bad thing but I just don't see it as being a great place to breed dogs!

I asked him if his dogs were from champion bloodlines, had been properly tested, etc. He said the father was a champ but not the mother & said they were current on all shots/vaccines (not what I asked...). When I mentioned Fanconi he kind of hesitated but then said "oh...um...yea..." like he didn't even have a clue what I was talking about :eek:

Gosh I want to go see the puppies now! I'm worried for them that they will end up in the mall petstore near us if people don't start buying them. He said he still has all 4 & that they've been in the paper for 2 weeks now. Maybe Mark would let me get a second so she & Dallas could grow up together :p (Kidding of course)

• @tanza:

Most BYB/PM's don't bother to fake AKC papers, they sell the pups with a "quote" registration that is from many of these registeries that were started when AKC put out the DNA parent requirement. Some of these are APA (American Pet Asso), NPA (National Pet Asso), CKC (continantial Kennel Club, NOT to be confused with Canadian Kennel Club) etc. Many PM got together and started these "crap" registries so that they could sell puppies with "papers". And since John Q Public is pretty dense about these things, easy to pull the wool over their eyes.
    However, I am sure there are still some that are paper swapping, but much harder to do with DNA parent AKC requirements.

I didnt know that, about the DNA parent requirement.
    Thanks for the info.
    How does that work? is it actually a blood test you send in of the parents?

• AKC only requires a DNA profile for Frequently Used sires which is defined on the AKC site, so many litters a year or over a total number in a lifetime. A DNA profile can be obtained by sending in a cheek swab, the cost is $40. If you prepay there is a $5 discount so it is $35.

I get DNA profiles on all of my dogs because it is one tool a responsible breeder can use to go beyond the registration just being a piece of paper. If the both parents are DNA profiled when you submit your cheek swab you can pay for a DNA pedigree that shows the profiles of all the dogs. AKC also runs periodic checks of all dogs with profiles to make sure they are consistent with the registered pedigree.

• As do I… (get the AKC DNA profile)... But the byb and pm's didn't want to spend the money for all the dogs they breed or have the chance at some point if the "match" papers .. that maybe what they were calling from one parent, was not really from that parent....

• Nina-
    Do NOT go see the puppies if you think you might get weak in the knees by looking at baby basenjis needing a home. I have no problem going to the humane society, thankfully I've never seen a basenji there, but DH is not allowed to go by himself. However, baby basenji puppies, well, I'm not sure I'd be the best one to go see them.

• So, I contact the person in the ad with 3 b's…. no DNA testing for Fanconi (and a response that it costs too much)... not AKC registered.. but CKC, not to be connected with the Kennel club in Canada..
    No health testing at all.... they took these B's in trade... sigh... this is a pure for profit puppy mill operation if you ask me.. with a nice website to "lure" people in.....

• @tanza:

So, I contact the person in the ad with 3 b's…. no DNA testing for Fanconi (and a response that it costs too much)... not AKC registered.. but CKC, not to be connected with the Kennel club in Canada..
    No health testing at all.... they took these B's in trade... sigh... this is a pure for profit puppy mill operation if you ask me.. with a nice website to "lure" people in.....

Costs too much? Yikes!:eek:

Maybe someone looking into buying a Basenji will read this…...good for You.;)

Fanconi testing is a must.

• @Basenji_Boy:

Costs too much? Yikes!:eek:

Maybe someone looking into buying a Basenji will read this…...good for You.;)

Fanconi testing is a must.

Absolutely! Every basenji owner deserves a healthy dog. For those reading this thread the Fanconi Marker Test was $60 per dog so keep that in mind when someone who is asking you to pay hundreds of dollars for a puppy claims the test is too expensive. The only reason it is too expensive is if you are trying to make money breeding.

Every basenji owner deserves a healthy dog. That means supporting breeders who do health testing because if a breeder is not testing then they do not know what the true health status of their dog is. With a genetic test, you can test just the parents and know their genes with non-genetic tests breeders need information on more than just the parents to use to get a good idea of what the genetics of their dog is most likely to breed.

The Basenji Club of America is a participant in CHIC, Canine Health Information Center, and has designated 4 health tests as what they consider the minimum recommended health testing. Those health tests are for Hips, Eyes, Thyroid, and Fanconi. All dogs that have had all 4 of those tests and the results are public, not necessarily passing, but viewable by any potential buyer will be on the OFA website with a CHIC designation. This program is still pretty new so right now there are only 49 basenjis that meet this requirement but many have at least 3 of the 4 tests done.

Here is a link to a CHIC dog so you can see what the designation looks like on the dog's page and links to dog's that have CHIC.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1197609#animal

• And anyone that purchases a Basenji that is not DNA tested is just doing a "roll of the dice". There is NO excuse for anyone that bred a litter for the Fall of 2007 has to NOT have had the DNA testing done before breeding, none at all.. We have worked for years find a DNA marker for Fanconi and anyone that has had or knows someone that has or had a Fanconi affected Basenji can tell you what a horrible affliction this is… sure people will say that there is treatment... but that is all it is.. and 30 pills a day is no easy task nor is it fun... and not all Basenjis do well on the protocol.. some do, some don't.....

• @Ninabeana26:

So I called the ad in the paper to see what the deal was. I spoke to the gentleman for about 10 minutes. He seemed nice but this is definitely a BYB situation. He actually lived only 5 minutes down the road from me…in a trailor park. Not that living in a trailor is a bad thing but I just don't see it as being a great place to breed dogs!

Well…This guy absolutely doesn't sound like a reputable breeder and he shouldn't be in the business…..but not because he lives in a trailer park. I know of a breeder who lives in the country with lots of room but doesn't appear to spend a nickle on testing and I know of one who lives in a trailer but breeds responsibly. And...actually, there can be some good perks to having puppies socialized in a trailer park.....lots of people and noises. So...if you talk to a breeder and the answers to your questions are what they should be and the puppies are of good quality and well-bred but the breeder happens to live in a trailer, I would just chuckle to myself and understand how he/she is prioritizing.

Again...I say that while recognizing that the BYB in the ad is NOT reputable and not what the basenji breed or any breed needs.

Pat

• This article written by the owner of a dog lost at the age of 6 years to Fanconi Syndrome explains why it is so important to only buy dogs from breeders that have done the test prior to breeding.

http://eldoradobasenji.com/Images/tailsUp.pdf

Suggested Topics