• Any suggestions on how to stop our little sweetheart from digging out in the yard. Our yard looks like an entire family of gophers has taken up residence at our house. We have tried everything from spraying her with water, time outs, lots of yelling (like it does any good). My husband thinks that she feels the vibrations from our pool piping? I don't know but we have refilled holes numerous times and she goes right back to them. HELP!!!!

• Sorry, can't help.

We have one spot just off our patio where Keoki digs relentlessly. NOTHING deters him, not even filling it in with rocks under the initial layer of dirt. I just have to catch him in the act, yell,:mad: "NO DIG!!!!! DARN IT ALL!!! STUPID DOG!!!!! GET OUTTA HERE!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!!!!!!SHOO!!!!!!NO!!!!NO!!!!!NO!!!!!NO!!!!!OH! CONFOUND IT!!! SOMEONE BRING ME THE SHOVEL!!!!!":mad:

Or something along those lines 😉 and then fill the hole back in.

He knows –-when he hears the back door open, he does stop and pose before running off. I think that may be a spot where the squirrels that antagonize them from the trees come down a lot and run around.

• LOL - We live in Florida and my mother-in-law thought we had sink holes. I'm glad that someone else's B does this. Drives me crazy. I have stood right by the holes and she will gallop by jump into the hole dig once and run away!!!! Not even water deters her in the least. We also have a demon squirrel that tortures Trixie, I have seen the squirrel drop leaves and moss on her head!! God pray for that squirrel if it ever falls out of the trees!!!

• We don't have a yard but Dallas tries to dig the couch! It drives me nuts because no matter how many times I say "NO!!!" or "STOP!!!!" OR "AHHHHH! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU IF YOU PUT HOLES IN OUR COUCH!" He just doesn't stop. I'm afraid he's going to end up ripping it to shreds! I've tried spraying bitter apple but he isn't chewing the couch, just digging the cushions! Let me know if you find something that works!

• Welcome to my world. Trixie has dug at both of our couches for months. Relentlessly!!!! I have to literally pick her up and remove her from the room. (She buries things in the couches) I also have tried the bitter apple (I don't think it works with Trixie). I just hold her or remove her. By the way where is Palm Bay??

• @ELERICKSON40:

By the way where is Palm Bay??

Palm Bay is near Melbourne. It on the East Coast pretty much in the middle of the state (going North to South). Maybe…an hour outside of Orlando?

Lakeland is on the West Coast right?

• Make special area that he is allowed to dig?

Or wash his paws or give him a bath everytime he digs, so maybe he will think twice.

If it's prey induced then there is not a lot to stop them once a Basenji puts his mind to it.

• I read somewhere that if you use lava rocks rather than regular rocks it hurts their paws. I can't attest to this since EL D isn't an outside digger.

• Lakeland is dead smack in the middle of Central Florida. 40 min. to Orlando and 40 min. to Tampa.

• @ELERICKSON40:

Lakeland is dead smack in the middle of Central Florida. 40 min. to Orlando and 40 min. to Tampa.

Yea I mapquested it & it says it would take me around 1.45 hours to get there. We should totally meet in Orlando one weekend at a dog park with yours, mine & also Michelle's (she has Dallas' brother Nike & Mia who is 9 mos.). She lives in Orlando.

• Maybe the bath might work!! She hates taking a bath!! You might be onto something with the prey induces digging because now that I think about it she also stickes her little nose up the gutter as well trying to get lizzards. We have lots of delightful little lizards for the mighty hunter to try and catch, and believe me when I tell you she does catch them!!!

• That would be great. Mia is the destroyer of carpet correct? I laughed so hard when I read that story yesterday!! Your little sweety is so cute and I would love to do that!!!!! Just let me know when and where. By the way where did you guys get your B's?

• @ELERICKSON40:

That would be great. Mia is the destroyer of carpet correct? I laughed so hard when I read that story yesterday!! Your little sweety is so cute and I would love to do that!!!!! Just let me know when and where. By the way where did you guys get your B's?

Yes the carpet destroyer/interior decorator. I was laughing my butt off as well after I saw the picture of what she had accomplished!

Dallas came from a breeder in Ocala. Her name is Midge Greenlee. She is so sweet & I have been very impressed by Dallas so far 😃 Michelle (Mia's mom) took home Dallas' brother, Nike.

I'll have to find a nice dogpark in Orlando that is kind of central for all of us to meet at. That'd be so fun! 🙂 Although Dallas & Nike are only 10 weeks old so we still have a bit of time before we can take them to any dogpark.

• Like I said just let me know. Trixie just turned a year in December. That is so cool that there is a breeder in Ocala. I do want another one but I will have to wait a bit for that. We have a 7 year old mixed 80 pound big ole baby that I don't think could handle 2 B's running around!! LOL. Trix is quite a handful!!!

• @ELERICKSON40:

Like I said just let me know. Trixie just turned a year in December. That is so cool that there is a breeder in Ocala. I do want another one but I will have to wait a bit for that. We have a 7 year old mixed 80 pound big ole baby that I don't think could handle 2 B's running around!! LOL. Trix is quite a handful!!!

B's in general are handfuls I think! Haha. I know Midge only breeds every couple years because she only breeds when she wants a puppy for herself. I definitely recommend her though! 🙂

• @ELERICKSON40:

Any suggestions on how to stop our little sweetheart from digging out in the yard. Our yard looks like an entire family of gophers has taken up residence at our house. We have tried everything from spraying her with water, time outs, lots of yelling (like it does any good). My husband thinks that she feels the vibrations from our pool piping? I don't know but we have refilled holes numerous times and she goes right back to them. HELP!!!!

My B used to dig, too… Instead of fighting it, I was able to train her to dig in just one area in the backyard (and I made sure it's the farthest)... Then I put potted plants in front of it to hide it from my view... She likes that spot so much she has dug so deep in that area, I almost got her a passport and visa to enter China! 😃

• Max only dug holes in my matress…..Tyler and Zoey dig a little in the bed, but that's it so far....

• @Ninabeana26:

B's in general are handfuls I think! Haha. I know Midge only breeds every couple years because she only breeds when she wants a puppy for herself. I definitely recommend her though! 🙂

Last I heard, Midge was getting a puppy bitch from the same litter the Vanessa is getting her new girl from…. Of course too, she is getting up in years... we have a lot of old breeders that are starting to retire... a wealth of information between all of them... which includes my mentors.... from way back when

• Yes, Midge has been around for a long time. Some of the others in her category are starting to lose that information-too bad-we could all benefit!

• @Ninabeana26:

Yes the carpet destroyer/interior decorator. I was laughing my butt off as well after I saw the picture of what she had accomplished!

Dallas came from a breeder in Ocala. Her name is Midge Greenlee. She is so sweet & I have been very impressed by Dallas so far 😃 Michelle (Mia's mom) took home Dallas' brother, Nike.

I'll have to find a nice dogpark in Orlando that is kind of central for all of us to meet at. That'd be so fun! 🙂 Although Dallas & Nike are only 10 weeks old so we still have a bit of time before we can take them to any dogpark.

ahh that would be fun…:D
    As for the digging, I read in a book somewhere that you can make a speical spot for him to fig, either a sand boxy type thing, and then hide treats in there so he;ll only come to go dig in that spot. Mia not only rips the carpet she also rips the sod in our lawn, doens't dig just finds a nice rung (Florida lawn is really odd!) and pulls until a huge peice of sod comes out lol, so now we are reaplcing 1/3 of our yard with cobblestones lol...These pups are getting quite expensive lol

Suggested Topics