• @rheidt:

I will be getting her a new crate this week and plan on moving it to a more desirable area for her. to begin with, and doesn't want anything to do with them while she's crated? I've tried peanut butter or cheese when I leave the house to distract her as she likes those, and it seems to help for short periods but then she gets distressed again. Hopefully I can put a structured plan together to make this work for her. I know when I'm able to move into a place that is my own, I would then try the xpen, just right now, it's not an option for me. I'm trying to work around a very stubborn dad, and my b can be very stubborn herself.

I can't recall, so if you've already answered this or if it's been suggested I apologize, but what kind of crate do you have? While I prefer the plastic crates, a wire crate would be the closest to an ex-pen, and would allow her to feel not-so-closed-in.

And the treats don't work with Keoki either. Even things he LOVES, when we're all home together get completely ignored in the crate/pen when we leave him.

• I feel sorry for you and your dog. I had to move back in with my parents after being on my own for a couple years and it sucked to say the least. He hated my dog so that didn't help.

We too have a crate phobic basenji. He is in an expen during the day. They really aren't that big, just tall. I have been to a trainer to help with his anxiety and I got a collar that has the DAP pheremones in it. It seems to help a little. It only lasts for a month though. That is a thought. Also, the nice thing about these little dogs is that you can exercise them in the house. We chase Dash around in the evenings if it is to cold and it helps take the edge off. We do have second dog to keep him company though. At this point I don't think that there is any amount of drugs that will make her feel comfortable in the crate. I don't think your vet and obviously not the behaviorist you have used has any knowledge of Basenjis. The suggestions you have gotten here are probably the best you can get. Getting her to like the crate may never happen.

The day care idea is great! Do you maybe have a friend that could take her until you can get a place of your own? Basenji's need to be with their pack if not you then someone can give her attention and love. It almost seems like you are too stressed out about the situation to think clearly.

• Dash makes some good points and the fact that you are stressed due to the situation and trying to make everyone happy… feeds down to your Basenji... she can pick up on your stress and that might be why she is having accidents in your bedroom....

• I think I may have posted these earlier, but just to give an idea to the newbies: This is what Keoki was able to do to Gypsy's bed, which was OUTSIDE the ex-pen, and to a pillow that I foolishly left atop the ex-pen.
    He was clearly not happy about being in the pen when I went out.

and here's an inside look at what it USED to look like inside Keoki's crate and inside Jazzy's crate. Since this time he's gotten into her crate and now her bed is also torn all to heck. LOL

He has, as I mentioned previously, begun to calm down a bit and I think I'm going to buy them new beds this payday and see how he does with them.

• One of my breeders gives the dogs a new roll of papertowels in the crates.
    They spend time tearing them to bits, and then have a soft place to rest when they get tired.
    Course, you take the plastic off the roll…
    He has never had any issues with b's eating the papertowels or any obstructions.
    So, thougth I would pass this tip along to you all.

• Wowza! Talk about destruction!

• @Ninabeana26:

Wowza! Talk about destruction!

Yeah, :rolleyes: , he's quite a fellow. LOL

And THAT is why we do exactly what Sharron said in the post above – when we go out during the day, Paper Towels go into the pen and Gypsy's {new} bed is in another room. 😃

He's much better at night now and is allowed to have a pillow --it's a bit torn up from his old days, but it works. I'm thinking it's time for a new one, and am curious to see what he does to it to "break it in", or will he accept it as it is and keep it intact {mostly}?

• @Ninabeana26:

Wowza! Talk about destruction!

I posted those so you all can see that I feel your pain when you talk about crate crazies!;)

• Yeah…that is the type of destruction that Querk is capable of too. He has shattered two Vari-kennels, and destroyed at least two 'indestructable' crate pans. We have done the paper-towels in the past...and newspaper. Sometimes we will just let him shred a blanket, and keep it in there for a while. But he almost never needs to be crated anymore (he is 9); when he was still intact, he did most of his damage during the heat season, when he was all juiced up anyhow.

• Those two crates don't exactly look like that anymore either. He has chewed the outsides of them both up a bit, and all those little "windows' in the gray one are, well, not quite so smooth any more, LOL.

• I am now lucky that the 2 b's I have can be loose in the house when we are at work.
    We have a pet sitter come to the house when we travel, or we take the dogs with, so no crates needed.
    My my beloved Cody Ramma, who is the main one who goes nuts in the crate, the vet lets me hold him if he needs a medical proceedure and he gets his sedation, then when he even starts to awake, they phone me and I came get him…so he isn't even crated at the vets.
    After telling me he would be fine, the first time I dropped him off..
    thinking I was just a silly overprotective "mom"...they learned...
    I told them the truth, re his issues with crates..even runs..he just won't do it. They couldn't get him sedated for his dental quick enough for the staff.
    I guess the screaming/climbing was beyond belief.
    The other folks in the waiting room thought they were abusing an animal in the backroom...and LOUD..yes, he is loud!
    He even breaks his teeth off trying to get out.
    So, we work around this issue and he doesn't have to deal with it.
    He is so worth it.

• @sharronhurlbut:

the vet lets me hold him if he needs a medical proceedure and he gets his sedation, then when he even starts to awake, they phone me and I came get him…so he isn't even crated at the vets.
    After telling me he would be fine, the first time I dropped him off..
    thinking I was just a silly overprotective "mom"...they learned...

He sounds just like my Max. My vet (who took such good care of him) would have me bring him in right before he was ready to do the dental. He would meet me in the reception area and give him his sedative before taking him back. As soon as he woke up after the dental, they'd call me to come and get him.

• @rheidt:

No I do not feed her in her crate, mainly because her crate is located in the basement and she would not have access to it at all times. I do walk her when weather permits, she won't walk if it's too cold, as of late the sub zero temperatures have made it next to impossible to walk her. And when I do walk, it is for around 40 minutes.

Hi Rheidt, I was reading all of your posts about your basenji's crate
    and anxiety problems. Did you ever get things resolved? If so, kinds of things did you do that worked?

Suggested Topics