• i have one of those soothers… and mine worked fine... although i think 30 seconds liek it says on the instructions is a bit too long.. i do 20 and mia snuggles right up to it. hopefully it works for you too!

• also, reading the posts about your routine.. i know that mia will CRASH in her cage around 930.. and ill wake her up and take her out and she will NOT lay down after.. maybe if you play with him for a half hour after you bring him back inside, but try not to let him have food or too much water.. it would work better. they wake up when you take them outside and think its play time.. maybe that will help him ?

• If you are crating him during the day and plan to let him sleep in your bed anyways, you may just want to go ahead and let him sleep in bed. Unless you are very heavy sleeper, he will probably move around enough for you to know he needs to go out. The only other thing is don't let him sleep in. If you normally take him out at 6am then take him out at 6am because at that age when they are really tired they will "forget" to wake up.

• I vote for letting him sleep in bed. We can turn our furnace down since we have 2 heaters under the covers, so we are also saving energy and the planet so it is all good!

• @dash:

I vote for letting him sleep in bed. We can turn our furnace down since we have 2 heaters under the covers, so we are also saving energy and the planet so it is all good!

LOL. Yea but I live in Florida so our heat hasn't been on yet (we moved in this past Sept)! Last night with him laying in between Mark & I, I actually had to turn on the ceiling fan because I was roasting!

Problem is, if I decide to go with him sleeping in bed with us that is it. I cannot go back! Haha. I'm more worried about him detroying the carpet or something while we're asleep more than anything. I mean, sheets can be washed. I am a pretty light sleeper though so if he moves I should wake up to catch him before he gets to the tasty carpet. Haha

• A basenji would NEVER even THINK of destroying carpet or anything else of value. That is just rubbish.:rolleyes:

• @dash:

I vote for letting him sleep in bed. We can turn our furnace down since we have 2 heaters under the covers, so we are also saving energy and the planet so it is all good!

lol I second the motion, it makes things easier although I know it shouldn't be that way lol…and Nina us to we have to turn the ceiling fan on plus the AC at 72 since Mia is super hot and of course both of them cuddle with me,one at my calves and the baby by or on my neck lol like what's the deal 😃

• Oh and btw, we rent so if he destroyed the carpet it would be bad…

If we owned a house I probably wouldn't worry about it so much!

Hm...the AC may be having to go on a little early this year because if that soothing puppy thing I bought today doesn't work, it looks like he'll be sleeping in bed with us.

• I think they enjoy the sleeping with the pack in the bed, they won't go looking for things to chew until your up and brushing your teeth, or taking a shower.
    When your not looking, and everyone is awake, that is when these little buggers do the shark chewing!
    At least, that is my findings.

• @dash:

A basenji would NEVER even THINK of destroying carpet or anything else of value. That is just rubbish.:rolleyes:

r-i-g-h-t 😉

They wouldn't think of it. They'd just DO IT!!

• Of my 4, I have only ever had one that would wake in the middle of the night when in bed and want something to entertain herself with. For that one, we just started keeping nylabones on the nightstand. When she would wake up we give her a nylabone and she would stay comfy in bed and chew the bone until she fell back to sleep. All of my others, have happily slept through the night. The destruct-o-matic behavior usually doesn't start until after I have started my morning routine.

• when i got lenny he did something similar… SCREAM bloody murder from his crate. i let him on the bed also and after waking up to him having peed on my bed i decided he would not sleep on the bed until he was ABLE to sleep in the crate without having a fit, and was potty trained. But, what I did do was move his crate right next to my bed, and when he was in it, I would lay with one of my hands through the slats so that he could still feel me there. that seemed to help calm him down...

• Gee folks - BEFORE I send my puppies home - when I have a litter - I do the individual crate training at night. I start by bunching 2 or 3 together in one and then start reducing the numbers so after a few days - they are in their own crates at night no howl no yell no whine. I usually make sure that either the new home has boght a crate that I will use the last couple of days before they go to new home - OR I send along the crate they are used to.

Maybe I should charge extra for this service! 🙂

• As much as I love sleeping with my basenjis, I also like a dog that will willingly sleep in his/her crate. So while the little darling is screaming, I like to read outloud to the baby in their crate. With Z, I read a very interesting book that contained essays of facts on all sorts of animals. I wish I could remember the name of the book. With my first basenji, I read Shakespeare. She turned out to be very intelligent (and well-read).

I also love my snugglesafe's. However, I do know that they are capable of melting and making a tremendous mess, so don't push the time limit in the microwave.

• @dmcarty:

Gee folks - BEFORE I send my puppies home - when I have a litter - I do the individual crate training at night. I start by bunching 2 or 3 together in one and then start reducing the numbers so after a few days - they are in their own crates at night no howl no yell no whine. I usually make sure that either the new home has boght a crate that I will use the last couple of days before they go to new home - OR I send along the crate they are used to.

Maybe I should charge extra for this service! 🙂

I have done that also, but it doesn't always carry over…especially after a couple of days and they "try" spreading their wings so to speak.. And it is hard with just one sometimes... as they are used to having their littermates and the other adults around beside the in crates....

• Jazzy was crate trained when we got her from Bryan – but the first week at least was miserable. It is hard to remember how long she cried at night.
    They're just so little and suddenly thrown in to a strange environment w/out any familiar people or dogs, sights, sounds, or smells around. It has to be stressful for even the most confident puppies.

• Well last night was…surprisingly great! I started a new thread about it so check it out 🙂

Suggested Topics