• I have a question that could be totally dumb to ask, but I just thought I would check. My dog has this annoying whisker sticking out of the bottom of her chin, that is growing way too long, much longer than her others. I want to trim it to a normal legnth, but I just wanted to check, would doing that hurt her at all? I wouldn't think so, I would think its just like us cutting a piece of hair, we don't feel anything, but I wanted to make sure. I didn't know if they had nerves or anything that would hurt. Will I hurt my dog in any way by trimming it? Like I said it might be a dumb question, but just thought I'd ask…Thanks:o

• If it bugs you, trim away, it won't hurt her. You're so sweet to even ask! Although there are many show people who leave their Bs completely natural, there are also lotsa show folk that trim errant whiskers with no harm done.

• dog whiskers aren't the same as cats whiskers, you can cut dogs whiskers without causing them problems, where in a cat it can throw off balance and few other things

• @WBL:

dog whiskers aren't the same as cats whiskers, you can cut dogs whiskers without causing them problems, where in a cat it can throw off balance and few other things

My cats have no whiskers and they are fine.
    You can trim whiskers, on cats, and it doesnt do anything.

• Thanks! Now I just gotta wait until my husband is available to help me..I tried to do it alone, and Tosca thought the scissors was a toy to try to lunge at and nip, lol. Not exactly safe, so I will wait until he can help me hold her in place 🙂

• Try a pair of nail clippers to trim the whiskers!

• And that is where a grooming table with the grooming noose comes in handy…

• What Pat? Don't you have a whole pulley system going on in your grooming area?? I do-cuts down on the struggle!

• @nomrbddgs:

What Pat? Don't you have a whole pulley system going on in your grooming area?? I do-cuts down on the struggle!

I only need the table and the grooming noose… 😃 Works for me....

• That chin wisker is thick! I had to use toe nail clippers to cut it down 🙂

• You groomer basenji folks are funny…
    I just thought it was the pet folks who had issues with "trimming" stuff.
    Laughs.

• Dogs use their wiskers int the same way that cats do, only much less often. The thick wiskers are called vibrasse and are part of their sense system. Cutting them down doesn't hurt the dog, but if she's blind or something then she can have trouble finding her way around.

• @sharronhurlbut:

You groomer basenji folks are funny…
    I just thought it was the pet folks who had issues with "trimming" stuff.
    Laughs.

Tell that to Sugar-I have to noose her, push her into a corner and practically sit on her to do her nails-she absolutely hates it! Not that I care that she does, but she's a little toughy when it comes to nails.

• @nomrbddgs:

Tell that to Sugar-I have to noose her, push her into a corner and practically sit on her to do her nails-she absolutely hates it! Not that I care that she does, but she's a little toughy when it comes to nails.

To do my kids nails I just sit on the floor and put them upside down between my legs (feet up) and do the nails. I am too short to try and reach around them on the grooming table and grind the nails…. I have always done it this way and start when they are baby pups... and easy to corral in the lap....

• I was surprised by how thick the whiskers were! She was finally a bit sleepy and left the scissors (I tried a small nail scissors this time) so I got the annoying one trimmed, but I was surprised at how the scissors barely got through it! Oh well, its dumb but at least now there isn't this annoying long hair hanging way down off her chin 🙂

Suggested Topics