Problems in her crate at night..

• mia is 9 weeks, and ever since we've gotten her, shes been horrible in her crate.. she cries and cries but if we turn off the TV and lights she calms right down.. the first two or three nights she slept soundly from 11pm to about 6am.. however, that changed quickly.. and shes awaking around 3am and crying to the point that i have to go sit on the floor.. last night she went to bed at 11.. woke up at 130, 330, and 530.. I actually fell asleep on the floor for a few hours.. at 130 i took her out, thinking thats why she woke up.. but she didnt even go.. :mad: (it was like 20 degrees with CRAZY wind)

what can i do to make this better? shes fine when we go out and have her in the room alone.. but not when we are there.. should we put her in the living room alone or cover her crate with a towel or blanket? could she possibly just be cold?

helppppppppp i NEED a good nights sleep! lol

oh and i forgot.. we try to just ignore her but we live with another couple and our walls are paper thin.. and she sounds like a tiny kid getting beat.. lol LOUD high pitched screaming..

• You can try a Snuggle Puppy, http://www.snugglepuppys.com/

Also, the more you do things like sleeping on the floor, the more she will do to try to get those things. For potty breaks, I always carry mine to the back door and the carry them back to their crate so there is no mistake that the purpose is for business only not play. They usually catch on pretty quickly and only ask to go out in the middle of the night if they need to.

• i actually have a stuffed toy with a warmable insert.. i tried it once and she didnt seem to bother with it.. maybe ill try again tonight.. i try to keep her away from her water dish the last hour before she goes to bed.. and she goes potty right before bed and right ater we take her out of it.. so i didnt really think she needed to go. ( of course it was the Boyfriends idea.. he was the one WARM under the covers lol :mad: ) I really try not to go down there.. but i feel so bad and dont want her to wake up the other couple that lives with us…

althouggggh their cat slaps the door and scratches/meows all night long lol

payback? 😉

• Last pup we had seemed to like to wake us at all hours and I'd like to think that will eventually subside. You could try covering the crate when you want it to be sleep time.

Our's woke us faithfully at 4:30 for several weeks….........hopefully yours will get into your routine.

• With pups I have the crate in our bedroom so that they know we are close by.

Also, with the Snuggle Puppy it is not just the warmth they also have a "heatbeat".

• yeah.. i was a little hesitant about putting her in a different room lvoss. i like knowing shes in here safe.. also i looked at the website and the dog ones are sold out and wont be in stock for awhile.. 😞

my boyfriend threw a towel on her cage this morning when he was getting ready for work and she stopped making noise… so i had a feeling that might work.. just wanted to see if anyone else has used that idea.. so ill definately try it Basenji Boy 🙂 hopefully thats the solution we're looking for:D

• This is just me, and I'm a light sleeper, I have always put a light leash and collar on my pups, I hook the leash to a 5lbs weight that I put up near my pillow and I also give them a QUIET toy to play with, when they wake up and move around I carry them out to potty carry them back in (like Ivoss said) and back to bed we go. But this is just me and does not work for everyone, like I said I'm a light sleeper and I even wake up when the cat jumps up onto the DH's side of the bed

• I have always covered the crates at night when it is "sleep" time… and for pups (this was before snuggle puppies)... I used to get a giant stuffed toy and cram it in the crate with the pup... they love it... and while some night they would wake up in the middle of the night, when all they got was a trip outside and right back in the crate... they quickly learned... that said, since I have always had more then one they did have company....in the crates next to them...

• @hdolbow:

yeah.. i was a little hesitant about putting her in a different room lvoss. i like knowing shes in here safe.. also i looked at the website and the dog ones are sold out and wont be in stock for awhile.. 😞

my boyfriend threw a towel on her cage this morning when he was getting ready for work and she stopped making noise… so i had a feeling that might work.. just wanted to see if anyone else has used that idea.. so ill definately try it Basenji Boy 🙂 hopefully thats the solution we're looking for:D

The pup won't care if it is a Snuggle Puppy or Snuggle Kitten. The towel can help since it keeps out light and helps to further muffle noises. Just as long as she doesn't get the idea of pulling on it.

• Cory was fussy the first couple of nights after we brought her home. For awhile we had the crate positioned so that she could see us in bed and all I'd have to do is say "Shhhh" when she fussed and that seemed to help. Then I got some cheap fleece throws from Big Lots to put in her crate and I cover the crate with an old quilt when we go to sleep. Now she sleeps as long as we are willing to sleep. If it is a chilly night, I put one of the fleeces in the dryer just long enough to make it warm. She loves that!!

Pat

• @BasenjiDiva:

Cory was fussy the first couple of nights after we brought her home. For awhile we had the crate positioned so that she could see us in bed and all I'd have to do is say "Shhhh" when she fussed and that seemed to help. Then I got some cheap fleece throws from Big Lots to put in her crate and I cover the crate with an old quilt when we go to sleep. Now she sleeps as long as we are willing to sleep. If it is a chilly night, I put one of the fleeces in the dryer just long enough to make it warm. She loves that!!

Pat

great idea.. although i've tried shhhhh-ing but it doesnt work.. lol
    i'll have to try that dryer trick tonight.. 😃 i really hope it works..

my boyfriend had MAJOR back surgery in April.. (they took out a disk and put in an artificial one bc when he was born the bones didnt sit on his tail bone they had slipped off.. ) and hes a welder.. working for a contractor and working at a sunoco refinery… welding in the 30-40 degree cold and his back is killing him now.. so bad he got a referral for an xray.. thank god he had some pain killers left! (he's knocked out in bed at its not even 9 yet lol) He definately is NOT in the mood to hear her whine all night.. and frankly, neither am i! lol

thanks for all your tips everyone ill let you know how everything works out tonight!

• You have Rocky also, right? Where does he sleep?…

• at the foot of our bed in his crate. Mia is about 5 feet away from him but he has blankets on all but the larger door side so she can't see him. (his cage is way too big for him) even when he didnt have the blankets, though, he didnt make noise.

• @hdolbow:

at the foot of our bed in his crate. Mia is about 5 feet away from him but he has blankets on all but the larger door side so she can't see him. (his cage is way too big for him) even when he didnt have the blankets, though, he didnt make noise.

In that case I would put his crate right next to hers so she knows that he is close by… my crates are right up against the others and cause I use wire they can all see each other.. then I cover the entire line of crates with one sheet/blanket... If she knows he is right there.. I believe/bet that will help lots

• awesome.. i'm glad i got some good suggestions 🙂 im SURE something will work! thanks all!

• Here is a pic of one group of crates in the bedroom

• That's what we do too, Pat. Have a puppy right next to a calm adult. We also have them in the dog room, far enough away that if they cry we can't hear them. But of course, I check on them, and this has been successful so far. Before we had so many, we didn't even try to crate train at night (after the Querk/crate disaster). We just let them sleep with us; on the couch when they were really tiny, because Tim was sure he would roll on them. Then we would work on crate training during the day, for short amounts of time. I know that won't work for everybody. But it has been fairly successful for us. Out of six, we only have one that is crate phobic…of course the first one.

• @hdolbow:

yeah.. i was a little hesitant about putting her in a different room lvoss. i like knowing shes in here safe.. also i looked at the website and the dog ones are sold out and wont be in stock for awhile..

I recommended the Snuggle Puppies to a co-worker (my Project Manager/Customer actually) with a new puppy, they were sold out so he ended up buying the kitty. When the Snuggle Kitty arrived they finally got their new puppy to sleep through the night 🙂

Kind of wondering if this good advice helped me get a better raise?! LOL! Just kidding! 😃

• They don't tear those snuggle puppies up?
    I'd be afraid to use one because I'd worry the pup would tear it up
    and get a hold of the batteries.

• Mine have never torn up the "crate buddy" but they only have it at bedtime. It is not left out as a toy.

Suggested Topics