Anyone interested in trading B-sitting favors? Kennel Recommendations?

• It seems like a lot of us basenji owners have the same stress about leaving our B's in a kennel while on vacation or on a business trip. OR, if we have someone who is a "dog person," who would be willing to watch, we all know a dog person isn't necessarily a B person… So I had an idea. Maybe we could start a list of people who are willing to trade B-watching favors. I haven't fully thought through the logistics of this but I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see if there was even any interest.

I, for one, would be really interested!

Or even if there's no interest in B-sitting trade... we could at least name Kennels in our area that we have had good experiences with.

• What a great idea! Both the basenji-sitting and the kennel review parts. You are so right that "dog lover" is not equivalent to "basenji lover".

• Thanks! There is a kennel I used in Pinkeney, Michigan when I was there that I really liked and that was very reasonably priced. It's called Borderhauss Kennels. Its actually a woman who breeds and trains border collies. She has non traditional boarding where the dogs live with her and her dogs (upon successful meeting) and there is also the option to board them in an area in her basement that is basically a BIG fenced about 10x10 room. We put their normal crate in there and they had some extra room to move around and play. She also has a big fenced in yard that they can play in several times a day. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend her…

www.borderhauss.com

And now that I'm in NY/NJ area, I am open to watching others B's in this area…

🙂

• I agree, what a great idea! Unfortunately, there aren't many owners in my area and I have an aggressive dog. But the kennel I use, in my opinion, is awesome!

http://www.dullesgatewaykennels.com/

Their rates are:
    $23.50/day Mon - Thur
    $24.50/day Fri - Sun

And they offer a 'pamper package' which is outlined on the site (includes a few extra treats and a lot of one on one time with a staff member and extra exercise). This package is $12.95/day.

Additionally, when they are not full (which they are not this time of the year), they automatically upgrade the 'room' your dog stays in. Rather than put the small dogs in small 'condos' (cages), they will put them in larger rooms as available.

They even have executive suites for those people who start their fires in the winter with 100 dollar bills (we call them doctors, lawyers and highly overpaid 'politicians' around these parts). The suites have webcams that you can log in to and check on your dog 24-7.

I personally think this is a good deal, even if one pays for the pamper package. My vet also kennels dogs that are clients and they charge $20/day to put your dog in one of many cages in a stack. Tucker would go insane and hate me forever if I did this to him. :eek:

• I know a lot of people don't live near their dogs' breeders, but if you do, that could be another option. Magnum's breeder is always willing to board him.

Although we generally take Magnum with us on our vacations (we have a trailer at a seasonal campsite), we took a houseboat vacation last summer and left Magnum with his breeder, who only charges $5 a day. And since I was a big sissy about getting him neutered, she took care of that for me, too. He had a blast (at least before the snip)!

• I would B-sit if any one needs to in the Orlando area. I have one female 8 months, and another male puppy coming in Feb, we have a fenced in yard, and our furniture is doused with "bitter-yuck" so no problems there lol! Also a great place I found for boarding is called Furs and Feathers in Winter Garden. The place is alot nicer than most peoples homes! and it's huge and the staff is very friendly.

• @Mia:

I would B-sit if any one needs to in the Orlando area. I have one female 8 months, and another male puppy coming in Feb, we have a fenced in yard, and our furniture is doused with "bitter-yuck" so no problems there lol! Also a great place I found for boarding is called Furs and Feathers in Winter Garden. The place is alot nicer than most peoples homes! and it's huge and the staff is very friendly.

It was in the teens this morning, Orlando sounds pretty darn good.:D

I can sleep in a crate, don't require a walk and I'll bring my own food and bowl.:D 😃

• @Basenji_Boy:

It was in the teens this morning, Orlando sounds pretty darn good.:D

I can sleep in a crate, don't require a walk and I'll bring my own food and bowl.:D 😃

hahahaahaha…well it's pretty cold here today! so I wouldn't pack your bags just yet lol! there were icicles on my palm trees the last couple of days 😃

• icicles on palm trees? sounds impossible! 🙂

lol to your response about sleeping in a crate, Basenji_boy! HA!

• I heard they declared a 'state of emergency' in Florida. What will the powers that be think of next… OMG! No orange juice! What SHALL we DO?!?!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/orl-bk-weather010208,0,6673205.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

I just love the news… National disaster! OMG! PANIC! How they tied this story into NASA and the space station still behooves me...

• @TuckerVA:

I heard they declared a 'state of emergency' in Florida. What will the powers that be think of next… OMG! No orange juice! What SHALL we DO?!?!

I just love the news... National disaster! OMG! PANIC! How they tied this story into NASA and the space station still behooves me...

Hey I wanted to work on my tan so yes it's a state of emergency lol! here is a pic to prove how cold it is:

see I told you ICICLES lol!

but I'll still B-sit in the cold or heat 🙂 my B always finds a sunny spot to sun tan

• We went down to about to about 2 degrees here in Chicago the other night.

It's darn right dangerous for people and basenji's. This weekend it's going into the 50's though!

• Any dog that I place (home bred or rescue) is welcome to come and stay with me when owners are on vacation - unless I'm not home myself. It's a nice way to stay connected to puppy people and allows me to see my dogs as they age.

Suggested Topics