• @Vanessa626:

If you introduce your Basenji to water early on in pup hood is it possible for them to not have a problem with rain or even be able to enjoy swimming??

I have heard that. My Basenji pup is 10 months old, and ran into a lake after some deer the other day. No fear!!! i guess this may train him to like the water. My other Basenji HATED it.

• Joey tolerates the rain. He is actually not so picky about his feet getting wet either although he avoids puddles.
    As for the dog IDing…someone at the pet store thought Joey was a Jack Russell too! They should just ask! 😃

• Originally Posted by Vanessa626
    If you introduce your Basenji to water early on in pup hood is it possible >>for them to not have a problem with rain or even be able to enjoy >>swimming??

We brought Jazzy home in March, in Washington. Believe me, she was introduced to rain and plenty of it! LOL She HATES rain, HATES her bath, and I don't see her ever jumping into a lake to go for a swim.

I still have to go outside with her when it's rainy and MAKE her leave the covered porch to go potty. When she was younger, we'd both get soaked just with me chasing her back off the porch a million times before she'd finally give up and go potty! LOL She'd pretend to start out to the yard, then loop around and make a dash for the porch.
    Now, She'll go out to poo, and zip right back. For peeing, she uses my husband's covered boat shed, which is just off the covered porch. I thought that'd bug him, but since it's just pee he tolerates it. She never did try to poo there. That goes back to that pooing far from home thing. She simply won't do that too near the house.

Suggested Topics