• Significant calcium deficiency can cause seizure-like episodes, have you had a blood test to check calcium and phosphorous levels? High phosphorous foods (meat, eggs, nuts) bind with calcium, as do high oxalate foods (oatmeal) and may deplete your dog's levels to a point where it will cause problems. Poison will also cause seizures.

You might want to do an online search for "canine hypocalcemia" or just "hypocalcemia". This link http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/eclampsia.htm will take you to an article on this subject in which it states that the signs of low calcium levels (hyocalcemia) are: "Muscle tremors, restlessness, panting, incoordination, grand mal seizures and fever as high as 106."

Further, the above articles thats a one of the possible causes: Poor Nutrition - "Home brewed" diets usually are at fault. The owner innocently may be adding too much unbalanced meat to the bitch's diet, thinking the extra protein is beneficial. What's really happening is the calcium to phosphorus ratio is out of balance because the amount of useful calcium in the food is actually reduced! The ideal contains a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1.2 to 1. (Many organ meats such as liver have a ratio of calcium to phosphorus of 1 to 15!! Liver is great for dogs but if it comprises a large part of the diet, the calcium/phosphorus ratio of the diet will be improper.)

If you have chickens, you should be aware that their droppings are extremely high in phosphorous and can cause a problem if your dog eats too many of them. If the droppings are charging your dog's blood with phosphorous, it's going to drain him/her of calcium in order to maintain proper pH balance and cause muscle twitching, etc…

Check this link HPA | Phosphorous | FAQs on phosphorous from the Health Protection Agency, especially this quote: "It has been used as a rat and rodent poison.."

Check this site Eclampsia (Puerperal Tetany, Milk Fever, Hypocalcemia) in Dogs "Eclampsia, also called milk fever or puerperal tetany, is an acute, life-threatening disease caused by low blood calcium levels (hypocalcemia) in dogs …."

One of our dogs developed severe seizures after the second of his puppy rabies shots – his head shook so hard we thought his eyes would pop out, it was terrifying. After this seizure activity triggered by the vaccine, he became prone to them from other triggers. Whenever he ate too many high phosphorous foods (or chicken droppings), he would seize. Giving him 1/2 a quart of plain organic yogurt would calm his seizures within 15 minutes, when they were food-related.

Personally, I would have a complete blood count done to check for mineral levels if you don't think vaccines or something your dog is eating is causing the seizures. PLUS, I would consult a Homeopathic/Holistic veterinarian for an alternative treatment.

Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

The 2003 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are accessible online at http://www.leerburg.com/special_report.htm .

The 2006 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines are downloadable in PDF format at http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocumen…s06Revised.pdf .

• how about milk or cheese?? Is that okay for them?

• @NullaBasenji:

how about milk or cheese?? Is that okay for them?

I have given it to mine…. especially cheese... and Mickii LOVES milk...

• Mine love milk, cheese, and yogurt. In fact, Rally would abandoned her puppies for cheese. Cottage cheese is often recommended in a bland diet when a dog's stomach has been upset. I will say that if the dog hasn't had dairy in its diet all of its life then they may not tolerate it as well as dogs that have.

• Our Butter adores cheese and eats plain organic yogurt everyday with his meals (we don't feed Butter butter). You might want to try a little bit of yogurt to start if your dog hasn't had much dairy and see if they tolerate it. Because of the acidophilius, yogurt is easier to digest than regular milk.

• As far as chocolate goes, one of my dogs (not a basenji, but a 70 lb. collie, spaniel mix) ate a full bag of chocolate chips. She stole it from the kitchen table while I was baking for Xmas. This was before we had a 24 hr. emergency vet where I live, and it was the middle of the night. I really thought we were going to lose her (xmas eve, not to many vets available). She was about 8 years old at the time. Luckily, she threw it all up (on my bedspread, but that worked out well as I just picked up the bedspread and threw it in the wash). After that, she started to recover, but it was pretty scary for a while. I guess we all need spirit of icapeck (I know I spelled that wrong, but the stuff we keep in the house for our kids to make them throw up if they eat something poisonous) in the house for our dogs.

Anyway, I've never been so relived to have one of my dogs throw up all over my bed.

She lived another lovely 7 years, and I never left chocolate where a dog could reach it again!

• @jaclempner:

As far as chocolate goes, one of my dogs (not a basenji, but a 70 lb. collie, spaniel mix) ate a full bag of chocolate chips. She stole it from the kitchen table while I was baking for Xmas. This was before we had a 24 hr. emergency vet where I live, and it was the middle of the night. I really thought we were going to lose her (xmas eve, not to many vets available). She was about 8 years old at the time. Luckily, she threw it all up (on my bedspread, but that worked out well as I just picked up the bedspread and threw it in the wash). After that, she started to recover, but it was pretty scary for a while. I guess we all need spirit of icapeck (I know I spelled that wrong, but the stuff we keep in the house for our kids to make them throw up if they eat something poisonous) in the house for our dogs.

Anyway, I've never been so relived to have one of my dogs throw up all over my bed.

She lived another lovely 7 years, and I never left chocolate where a dog could reach it again!

If you ever find yourself in that position again, remember that hydrogen peroxide will cause vomitting and IMO every household should have a "fresh" bottle around in the home.

• @tanza:

and IMO every household should have a "fresh" bottle around in the home.

Amen to that Pat,
    I haven't had to worry yet with Zaire (Knock on wood), but Charlie has given me a couple of scares with what he chooses to eat that have required a Hydrogen Peroxide "Treatment" 🙂

• WOW! That is a lot of info-

The chocolate thing- the further you get from pure chocolate, the less fatal it becomes, so, milk chocolate is not so bad, dark chocolate is not so good, and baker's chocolate is really bad. One morning, we came out to find that Jack had eaten half of a reese's peanut butter bar. I immediately jumped on the internet and found the info that someone (Tucker, I think?) already shared. I watched him closely, he drank a lot of water and then pooped a whole lot, and he was fine. We don't leave candy bars out anymore.

I really didn't know that broccoli was bad for him…..he looooooves it. He will do anything for broccoli, and it is actually the only vegetable I can get him to eat.

• I give all mine broccoli all the time and I have never had a problem…. ever.....

• My b's will tapdance for cheese.

• The turkey skin thing- is that just in large quantities? Like, on Thanksgiving, If I give him a little turkey with a little skin, is that okay?

• Back to the peroxide treatment … what is the amount to be given? Is it diluted any?
    I always have peroxide in the house for nasty cuts etc. but didnt' know about its use to induce vomiting.

• @wizard:

Back to the peroxide treatment … what is the amount to be given? Is it diluted any?
    I always have peroxide in the house for nasty cuts etc. but didnt' know about its use to induce vomiting.

Given Straight…. usually 2 to 3 teaspoons.. you should see "results" in 5 to 10 minutes longest.... you do have to make sure it is "fresh" as in it "fizzes"...

• @tanza:

I give all mine broccoli all the time and I have never had a problem…. ever.....

I give mine broccoli all the time also, with no problems. Add a bit of cheddar cheese and Keoki thinks he's died and gone to doggy heaven. Asparagus too – those are his two favorite veggies, bar none.

• Dallas eats broccoli as well. I was giving him a little bit of milk but he developed a small rash in his ears that the vet thought may have been from the milk. He still eats cheese though weekly & will do just about anything for it…with a basenji you have to add "just about anything". LOL

• Yeah, Jack is like that with broccoli- when he sees me pulling it out of the fridge to cook for me, he gets all excited and trembly with anticipation. He immediately sits and watches until he just can't stand it anymore and then he's HANGING TEN COUNTER SURFING!!!!!!

Suggested Topics