Hello, from me and my basenji-flavoured mutt :)

• Hi all,
    Lurked around here for a couple of weeks, but now I'm joined and posting because I get the feeling that my newest addition to the family is part-Basenji. He's our third dog, but first possible basenji. Previously we had a border collie/labrador cross while I was growing up, and more recently a purebred Weimaraner who sadly had to be put to sleep in 2005 after suffering brain damage following a very sudden and unexpected series of seizures.

Meet Rocky, or 'Rocket' as he's properly known. He was named for his ability to jump vertically and launch himself around the garden in a mad run going after anything that moves.

Anyway! We adopted him from the local RSPCA shelter at 9 weeks of age. The shelter took in the pregnant bitch and all the pups were born there, no one ever knew what the father was or even looked like. The mother is black and white, and believed to be some kind of Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross (plausible from the picture they showed us of her, and Rocky seems to have a fairly wide face, afterall). The shelter were at a bit of a loss as to what to describe the puppies as, so they were just called 'terrier crosses'. The rest of the litter were either the same pattern/colouring as Rocky, same pattern in black and white, or mostly brown with black noses and the odd patch of white.

We believe he is part Basenji. His colouring seems spot on (right down to the black nose and white-tipped tail), along with those ears (which everyone comments on when we meet people out walking!), his curled tail (which I sadly haven't got a picture of yet), and his voice. Probably shouldn't forget to mention that he is a massive handful, and I've never known such a wilful and downright cheeky dog in all my life 🙂 Wouldn't change him for the world, though, he's a great personality.

He is a very vocal boy, he makes the most bizarre noises, it was so weird the first time he sang to us - we never expected a dog to make that kind of sound! It was the singing that prompted me to read up on Basenjis, as I had heard in the past that they are renowned for 'yodelling'. He also does a really funny noise I can only describe as 'grumbling' and I've got him sort-of trained to say 'blah blah blah' back at me, and, if he's in a cheeky mood and being told off, he'll yell 'No!' right back at us 🙂 I've poked around and listened to various sound samples and it's so strange, he does sound like a younger version of the recorded dogs!

…and yes, that is a cat's bell on his collar. He loves nothing more than to disappear into the bushes in our garden trying to chase birds and squirrels. The bell scares them off and helps us find him 🙂

So, what do you think? I'd love to hear some opinions from basenji owners who think, from the photos and my description, that he's really got some of that in him.

• Well…he looks pretty convincingly basenji to me! Do his ears stand up all the time? And how big is he?

• His ears stand up most of the time, especially as he's gotten older. He also slides them backwards, close to his skull, depending on how he's feeling/what he's trying to express. Standing up though, they end up vertical, slightly diagonal, or almost horizontal - again, depending on the situation, his mood, his expression, etc 🙂 Usual position is upright, slightly at outward angles, as in the first picture up there. 🙂

A week ago we weighed him, he was at just below 18 pounds. He's 5 months old, and at a guess roughly a foot high from floor to the top of his back, obviously more when you figure his neck and head, but I'm awful at guessing lengths and haven't got any measuring tape to hand at the moment! 🙂 I'll see if anyone else knows where there is one so that we can get an accurate measurement.

• I'd say he looks like Basenji to me…cute too.....welcome to the forum.:)

• Very cute photos…glad you decided to share them with us.

• Thanks all 🙂

I'm glad he's also looking basenji-like to people who actually know the breed! It's very easy to get sort of 'tunnel visioned' with things when trying to figure out what your mix is 🙂

• Those ears are great! Kind of reminds me of Gizmo from the movie Gremlins. I like the smiling picture in the basket.

• We almost called him Gizmo! The name got tossed out in the end though, as mother's boyfriend used to have a beagle-greyhound mix named Gizmo years ago and it would've been too strange to use the name for another dog.

Sometimes I think we should have called him Yoda, with those ears, then I remember that he's not wise or restrained enough to be a Jedi 😃

• Hello! Welcome to the forum. Rocket is realy cute and definitely looks basenji to me!

• Yup looks like a basenji in there to me. Those ears crack me up, if they weren't so big he'd look to be almost all basenji in the pictures. Then I saw his feet, they are a little bigger than a basenji foot. If his mom was a Staffie mix, his feet seem to have taken after her, but that's just my best guess from the pic).

Whatever he's mixed with he is WAY cute, and again those ears LMAO are just too adorable.

I just had Tiggy weighted on Friday and he weighs exactly 9 kilos (about 20lbs) and he'll be 6 months on Christmas day. If that helps for a size comparison.

• Welcome to the forum - you'll find it's quite addictive and full of fun and facts!
    Rocket sure looks a lot like a basenji and his ability to jump is not unusual. My EL D can jump 5 feet straight up from a sitting position.

• What a little cutie pie!! Looks a lot like basenji to me.

• Yep, I'd say Basenji as well, it is pretty clear with the coloring, curled tail,(as you said he has) and the way he gets into things and wants his own way, so is the way of the Basenji. My Sahara, like yours is so strong willed, reminds me of my hubby and son. haha!!! At any rate, it is a beautiful dog, and welcome to our forum.

• Welcome…he's adorable!

• Cute dog!

Love the ears

• He sure is cute. When ours' ears are horizontal, we call them "airplane ears" and it is a warning sign! Airplane ears…look out!
    Congratulations on your new boy, he is darling.
    Anne in Tampa

• I feel bad that others can see the pix and I can't - oh well - aother day.

• @Rocketdog:

Hi all,
    Lurked around here for a couple of weeks, but now I'm joined and posting because I get the feeling that my newest addition to the family is part-Basenji. He's our third dog, but first possible basenji. Previously we had a border collie/labrador cross while I was growing up, and more recently a purebred Weimaraner who sadly had to be put to sleep in 2005 after suffering brain damage following a very sudden and unexpected series of seizures.

Meet Rocky, or 'Rocket' as he's properly known. He was named for his ability to jump vertically and launch himself around the garden in a mad run going after anything that moves.

Anyway! We adopted him from the local RSPCA shelter at 9 weeks of age. The shelter took in the pregnant bitch and all the pups were born there, no one ever knew what the father was or even looked like. The mother is black and white, and believed to be some kind of Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross (plausible from the picture they showed us of her, and Rocky seems to have a fairly wide face, afterall). The shelter were at a bit of a loss as to what to describe the puppies as, so they were just called 'terrier crosses'. The rest of the litter were either the same pattern/colouring as Rocky, same pattern in black and white, or mostly brown with black noses and the odd patch of white.

We believe he is part Basenji. His colouring seems spot on (right down to the black nose and white-tipped tail), along with those ears (which everyone comments on when we meet people out walking!), his curled tail (which I sadly haven't got a picture of yet), and his voice. Probably shouldn't forget to mention that he is a massive handful, and I've never known such a wilful and downright cheeky dog in all my life 🙂 Wouldn't change him for the world, though, he's a great personality.

He is a very vocal boy, he makes the most bizarre noises, it was so weird the first time he sang to us - we never expected a dog to make that kind of sound! It was the singing that prompted me to read up on Basenjis, as I had heard in the past that they are renowned for 'yodelling'. He also does a really funny noise I can only describe as 'grumbling' and I've got him sort-of trained to say 'blah blah blah' back at me, and, if he's in a cheeky mood and being told off, he'll yell 'No!' right back at us 🙂 I've poked around and listened to various sound samples and it's so strange, he does sound like a younger version of the recorded dogs!

…and yes, that is a cat's bell on his collar. He loves nothing more than to disappear into the bushes in our garden trying to chase birds and squirrels. The bell scares them off and helps us find him 🙂

So, what do you think? I'd love to hear some opinions from basenji owners who think, from the photos and my description, that he's really got some of that in him.

dnjfkgnksghs,f,lkjftgkhfncsmil

Suggested Topics