• I was just wondering if there are any tips to minimize shedding? Whenever I go to Lenny's breeders place, I notice there is almost NO hair on the furniture and I can sit on the floor and have the dogs in my lap and I will have barely any hair on me when I leave. On the other hand, Tayda and Lenny can be in my lap for 5 minutes, and I'll be covered in hair.

Just wondering if there was some tips on minimizing shedding…. adding olive oil to food? brushing/combing/bathing more often? I know I can't eliminate the shedding, but I just had a brushing session, and I could literally make a little miniature basenji with the hair that came off them!

• Have you had their thyroid's checked…. and bathing will not help other then to dry out the skin (IMO)... there are just times when they shed lots... (contrary to popular opinion...ggg).... Brushing more often will help... and is this something you notice all the time with yours? Or just different times of the year...
    At your breeders, are there lots of dogs "all" time time in the rooms where you are sitting/visiting?
    And I am guessing yours are spay/neutered? And your breeder's Basenji are not? That also makes a difference... I notice it with mine between the altered ones and the intact ones.

• Yeah, there are up to 7 dogs at her place… and they are allowed everywhere. Tayda is spayed, Lenny is not neutered. Today when I was brushing them, Lenny gave off a lot more hair than Tayda did.... strange, cause usually when I brush them I seem to remember Tayda usually giving off more hair.

Anyway, I have not had their thyroids checked... and I don't normally bathe them unless they somehow get muddy... which is not often. I'd say I've bathed them less than 10 times in the whole time I've had them.

I don't really notice them shedding more at different times of the year, its pretty constant, I'd say. I think Im noticing it more now because my old place had carpet throughout, they would sometimes lay around on the floor. But now, I have hardwood floors throughout and they just prefer not to be on the floor if they can be on the couch.

• If it is just recently, maybe it is the stress of relocation? Dogs will shed after a stressful event. Mine always shed after coming home from the kennel. Or if we are traveling…fun, but stressful for them, I guess.

• @Quercus:

If it is just recently, maybe it is the stress of relocation? Dogs will shed after a stressful event. Mine always shed after coming home from the kennel. Or if we are traveling…fun, but stressful for them, I guess.

Seems like just about every dog we've ever owned has reacted to stress by releasing half its hair! Cory was spayed 10 days ago and it seems like she has been shedding a lot more. Don't know if it is just her time of year to shed or if it is a stress reaction or even a change in hormones. Or maybe it is coincidental and we just noticed the shedding because we're wearing darker clothes. We've added a suppliment (Missing Link) to her food to see if that will help.

Pat

• Yes, they usually have a BIG shed after anesthesia…I can't remember the reason...but I know that it does occur.

• @Quercus:

Yes, they usually have a BIG shed after anesthesia…I can't remember the reason...but I know that it does occur.

And ever notice how they shed just going to the Vet… 😞 Only my OJ doesn't do that... he likes his Vets...)

• Yeah…ours that were born at Tracy's LOVE going to the vet...the others...not so much 😉

• Mine not only shed, but Topper goes from glossy and soft to dull with dry flakes in about 5 minutes when stressed. None of my 3 have an undercoat so shedding is not too bad at my house. Or so I thought. I was ironing a pair of black pants on the bed the other day and surprise, they were covered with dog hair when I finished. Not seasonal, but shedding is about the same year 'round.

Anne in Tampa

• HI Pat,

Have you noticed that the Missing Link supplement has helped with the shedding?

Michelle

@BasenjiDiva:

Seems like just about every dog we've ever owned has reacted to stress by releasing half its hair! Cory was spayed 10 days ago and it seems like she has been shedding a lot more. Don't know if it is just her time of year to shed or if it is a stress reaction or even a change in hormones. Or maybe it is coincidental and we just noticed the shedding because we're wearing darker clothes. We've added a suppliment (Missing Link) to her food to see if that will help.

Pat

• @Tayda_Lenny:

HI Pat,

Have you noticed that the Missing Link supplement has helped with the shedding?

Michelle

Cory isn't shedding nearly as much now and we've been giving her a tsp in her breakfast every morning. Now the question is….has the shedding stopped because it's been a month since she was spayed or because she is getting the supplement? I can't say for sure but I figure it is probably good for her anyway and I'm going to keep her on it. Her coat looks good.

Pat

• I got the furminator for my dogs' shedding times. It really helps. But I only use the comb if I notice they are going through their seasonal shedding.

I also have this doggie shampoo called Blueberry Facial. It ROCKS. I really noticed a difference. I used to use oatmeal stuff because their coats were dry and it says it's moisturizing. Anyways I won the Blueberry Facial (even though it smells like banana and is for all over the body) and it's been awesome! And I have been following up with Head & Shoulders conditioner. I have to rinse them a lot more, but their coats are REALLY soft and very conditioned. And they don't get dandruff 3 days after their baths like they did with the old stuff!

I also won some furminator de-shedding treats. I don't give them to them regularly- well, because we have 700 other treats to use before we get to that bag… but that's also an option.

• My previous basenji didn't shed so much as he would release noticable dandruff when he was stressed.

• @wizard:

My previous basenji didn't shed so much as he would release noticable dandruff when he was stressed.

Releasing dander when stress is pretty common.. and we all know how stressful "baths" are…:D

• @tanza:

And ever notice how they shed just going to the Vet… 😞 Only my OJ doesn't do that... he likes his Vets...)

Nala does too. I end up with a Basenji hair sweater just from holding her in the office and exam room!

Suggested Topics