• I haven't had this problem–but I don't take any chances with my kids--I would definitely pay a visit to the vet.

• Hi there,

What time is his last feed of the day?
    The reason I ask is that I had the same thing with my male. He would be sick in the morning (only bile) and fine the rest of the day. He wouldn't touch his breakfast at all until he had been sick. I found that he was being sick because he had too much acid in his stomach due to it being empty. I decided to make his last meal of the day later which solved the problem. He is fed twice a day, 1st meal at 9am and 2nd at 8pm.

• From what I've read on here, vomiting bile is not uncommon for basenjis…especially with an active dog. Something to do with the amount of time that passes between feedings. I'm not sure if it is the same for puppies, so I'm sure someone with that experience will weigh in.

With my dog (she's 2 and very active...I have to make sure she eats enough to keep weight on) if she doesn't get some sort of food (treats or something) within the first hour of her getting up in the morning, she will usually throw up bile.

During the week, she gets a run on the bike and then when she comes in gets a couple small treats, and then a kong w/some of her kibble and I've never had any trouble. On the weekend, if I sleep in longer then run her on the bike and I forget and take a shower before giving her some sort of treat, she will get sick.

• @renaultf1:

From what I've read on here, vomiting bile is not uncommon for basenjis…especially with an active dog. Something to do with the amount of time that passes between feedings. I'm not sure if it is the same for puppies, so I'm sure someone with that experience will weigh in.

With my dog (she's 2 and very active...I have to make sure she eats enough to keep weight on) if she doesn't get some sort of food (treats or something) within the first hour of her getting up in the morning, she will usually throw up bile.

During the week, she gets a run on the bike and then when she comes in gets a couple small treats, and then a kong w/some of her kibble and I've never had any trouble. On the weekend, if I sleep in longer then run her on the bike and I forget and take a shower before giving her some sort of treat, she will get sick.

Perfect explanations above from Renault and Basi. We call it 'empty tummy syndrome' 😉 Try experimenting with changing the feeding times… or adding in a late night snack.

• our tri does that on occasion.

He is such a sweetie that he asks to go out side and vomit in the yard.

• A couple of dry biskets before bedtime stopped this in my household.

• WE can only give our dog his dry food, almost 90% of treats seem to have wheat flour or wheat gluten in them.

He can tolerate chicken & rice too.

• EVO now has grain free treats. We got a bag in Nicky's Veteran Sweeps goodie bag at the Nationals and the dogs absolutely love them.

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1499

• I haven' had a problem like that with Charlie. It doesn't sound like it's good for their stomachs or throats. My family has 3 other dogs besides Charlie, and we've always left a bowl of dry food down for them. None of then overeat, and they are all on different schedules, so it works out. The only problems I've had is Charlie will get hiccups if he scarfs down his food too fast. He does it quite often too.

• EVO now has grain free treats. We got a bag in Nicky's Veteran Sweeps goodie bag at the Nationals and the dogs absolutely love them.

Thanks I'll give them a try

• @Charlies_Mommy:

I haven' had a problem like that with Charlie. It doesn't sound like it's good for their stomachs or throats. My family has 3 other dogs besides Charlie, and we've always left a bowl of dry food down for them. None of then overeat, and they are all on different schedules, so it works out. The only problems I've had is Charlie will get hiccups if he scarfs down his food too fast. He does it quite often too.

Thru all my years of petsitting, the problem I've found with free feeding is that if the dog is truly sick, it is harder to know if they are constantly grazing instead of eating on a set schedule. The other thing was it made the poop thing a lot more predicatable and also then again you had a better idea if the timing was off on that end 😃 that there might be a problem.

• If we free fed our female she would be a leggless blob of fat.

• @renaultf1:

Thru all my years of petsitting, the problem I've found with free feeding is that if the dog is truly sick, it is harder to know if they are constantly grazing instead of eating on a set schedule. The other thing was it made the poop thing a lot more predicatable and also then again you had a better idea if the timing was off on that end 😃 that there might be a problem.

Exactly correct which is why I never avocate free feeding

• thanks everyone!

i think we will change his feeding times and see if that makes a difference,
    since we night have been feeding him too far apart- dinner around 7 and breakfast around 8 am, i think this may have been the problem 😉

• Thats what time my guys eat, every once in awhile my boxer will eat grass in the morning and then throw up just the empty stomach stuff. But we also give a lunch time snack and a before bed snack (nothing more than a cookie before bed, and Reggie usually gets a banana for lunch and Tiggy gets about a 1/3 of a banana)

• Make sure they get something in their stomachs at night…or early in the morning before they actually get up. My Talker did this for awhile and eventually it stopped when we figured that he had an empty stomach.

My dogs free feed and when I'm home with them 3 days out of the week, they very rarely eat during the day. They eat at night mostly and maybe snack around mid day the next day. All dogs are different so I suppose you have to watch each and every dog. But I noticed that if we fed them in the morning, they just don't eat so we stop feeding them in the morning b/c we were wasting a lot of food. Now we feed them 1 cup at night and what they don't eat at night, they will MAYBE snack during the day----but not much.

Suggested Topics