• @tanza:

Yes, I agree with people guarding.. if mine do that, they are "dumped" on the floor… it is NOT acceptable behavior... gggg But like Andrea, I don't think that the behavior will really change.... but they get the message if they land on the floor!

Unfortunately, like Jazzysmom mentioned, I have found with my worst guarders, as soon as they perceive they are about to get dumped, or worse, grabbed, the guarding increases and they will launch and attack the other dog. So I have stopped doing that; depending on the individual, dumping works fine for some of my less serious guarders (Bella and Luna). If the dog is sitting on/near me, I will place my hand inbetween the dogs, and quietly say 'no, Ariel, no…quiet'....if she stops, I keep cuddling, if she doesn't I place her in her crate, and we do a dog rotation 😉 If she isn't sitting near a person, but is guarding something else, that is an immediate 'into the crate'. This has worked pretty well with both Ivy and Ariel...I can say 'no...quiet' and they usually calm down.

I dunno...I am still trying to find a suitable fix for this problem that is easier than having to hop up every thirty seconds 😉

Suggested Topics