• When Max had a cyst removed from his paw (on one of the pads), his vet and I talked about the pros and cons of laser vs regular surgery (he does both). We actually decided to go regular–and I forget exactly why, but he thought the healing time would be less or something like that--and the surgery worked out just fine, but it does sound like yours is much bigger than I had with Max.

• @MaxBooBooBear:

When Max had a cyst removed from his paw (on one of the pads), his vet and I talked about the pros and cons of laser vs regular surgery (he does both). We actually decided to go regular–and I forget exactly why, but he thought the healing time would be less or something like that--and the surgery worked out just fine, but it does sound like yours is much bigger than I had with Max.

Thanks for letting me know that you guys chose the regular surgery, even if you cant remember why 🙂
    My vet and I talked it over and he feel confident that he can do it. I asked him straight up if I should go have it lasered and that Squiggs is my baby…
    We will see, His surgery is on Tuesday and I am a nervous wreck. If it wasnt getting bigger, I would leave it alone probably. I am a nervous worrier anyway and I know I wont be able to concentrate at work on Tuesday the 2oth. Good thing I can leave through out the day.
    Keep us in your thoughts 🙂

• @ChristyRutherford:

…Keep us in your thoughts 🙂

Will do! ((Hugs)) to you both…all will be just fine! Keep us posted.

• @ChristyRutherford:

Thanks for letting me know that you guys chose the regular surgery, even if you cant remember why 🙂
    My vet and I talked it over and he feel confident that he can do it. I asked him straight up if I should go have it lasered and that Squiggs is my baby…
    We will see, His surgery is on Tuesday and I am a nervous wreck. If it wasnt getting bigger, I would leave it alone probably. I am a nervous worrier anyway and I know I wont be able to concentrate at work on Tuesday. Good thing I can leave through out the day.
    Keep us in your thoughts 🙂

I think it's a good decision, and that I would most likely to do the same thing 🙂 Fingers crossed for Tuesday!

• Yes–it sounds like it's best to remove it before it gets any larger. Has Squiggy been under anesthesia before? Just wanted to mention that vets need to be aware that basenjis are a little different when it comes to anesthesia--I think Pat (Tanza) knows more about this. But my vet always uses isoflorozine (not sure if that spelling is right--we call it iso for short). I would make sure your vet uses that. You and little "Squiggs" will be in my thoughts. I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

• Thanks guys, it Tuesday the 20th. I am going to call the vet on Monday and let him know about the iso, which I think he uses. Also, I found a knot under his jaw on the same side as his "earball", I am hoping it is only an enlarged lymph node,it is in that area and under the skin. I am going to see if we can try some anitbiotic. I would make sense if he is trying to fight off an infection from his ear.
    I feel like a parinoid momma, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

• Ok, Squigs has been on antibiotis for a week now and the lymph node has not gone down or away.
    He has surgery tomorrow and I am just a nervous wreck. I hate that I have to be at work, not like sitting at home being nervous would help any.
    I will post the outcome of the surgery tomorrow. I am sure it will be happy and good news. then i can post the outcome from the lump that they will be sending… that too will be good news.

OK, I am trying this "power of positive thinking thing" 🙂

• Here's to good vibes and that everything turns out just fine

• ok, Squiggy is at the vet now. I dropped him off at 7:30. I called at 8:30 and he was the next or the following dog to do. Here it is 10:10 and I am sitting nervous by the phone (They were going to call as soon as it was done). Now I am worried that they dont want to call me since I am at work. I am such a pessimist sometimes. 😞

• I do pray & hope that Squigs comes out just fine. HUGS to you!

• @ChristyRutherford:

ok, Squiggy is at the vet now. I dropped him off at 7:30. I called at 8:30 and he was the next or the following dog to do. Here it is 10:10 and I am sitting nervous by the phone (They were going to call as soon as it was done). Now I am worried that they dont want to call me since I am at work. I am such a pessimist sometimes. 😞

Try not to worry 🙂 I have found that even though they say they will call right away…often time slips by, and they don't have a chance to call.

Hugs...hang in there.

• Thanks for the hugs and thoughts!
    I broke down and called:) And I am glad I did.
    He is awake and pacing in his run. (which means he is back to normal already).
    The vet is sending the tumor off, and with the holiday, we are not sure when we will get the scoop on it.
    The vet said it was very large and they are unsure if they got all of it, but they got most of it. It was just really deep.
    they say it was about the size of a quarter.
    So, the plan is to see what the lab says on it and go from there.
    So thanks again for all the good vibes. I will keep you updated. 🙂

• @ChristyRutherford:

I broke down and called:) And I am glad I did.
    🙂

Yes–that's what I do, too--sometimes they get so busy, that they forget.... I'm surprised to hear the tumor was so big....did your vet say how long it usually takes to get results back (when it's not a holiday week??) Just because it's large doesn't necessarily mean anything negative. I'm hoping everything will turn out just fine!! Give little Squiggs a hug and kiss for me.

• That is what happened, they just got a bit busy and ended up calling later- Even after I called to check on him.
    I went on my lunch break to see him and he was doing well, but I decided to go back after work to take him home. He ended up scratching his stitches and bleeding a bit.
    But the good news is he is doing fine now, at home. He is a bit irritated with his stitches, but doing just fine. He played with his rawhide before laying down to chew on it, which made me smile to see him being normal.
    My mom is sending her b to my Grandmas house tomorrow and taking Squiggy to hers so that he can relax and be supervised. **I love my family.
    She even sent over some leftovers tonight for dinner–-for Squigs, not me :p
    The vet only charged me around $154, $70 of that was to send it off. **love my vet too.
    We should know something in about a week, maybe sooner.
    Thanks again everyone for the support, I will keep you updated on his progress and prognosis.

• I'm glad to hear Squiggy is doing fine and getting lots of TLC 🙂 Do you have him in an E collar so that he can't scratch at the stitches?

• The vet had me try this "new amazing e-collar" it is made out of cloth and is suppose to be easier on the dog.
    Well Squiggy either flips it backward so it looks like a shirt collar or the shakes his head really hard to try and get it off.
    I cleaned up the blood that had matted his neck scruff and it seems to be helping. He is a pretty boy and doesnt like to be dirty:p
    I am waiting to hear from my mom, squiggy was at home for 2 hrs this am alone.

• Hi Everyone,
    We got the results back yesterday. The "earball" was benign!!! The vet sent in about 1/3 of it and it came back as not abnormal.
    The lab really didnt know what it was they guess a "possible wound reaction", but they did say that there was nothing cancerous or fungal.
    I need to go pick up a copy or have them fax me one.
    So, thank you everyone for you thoughts and kind words!
    It seems to have helped:p

• Yay….Fantastic news!!!!

• GREAT news!! Now you can go back to enjoying your furbaby with no worries!!!!

• Yippee! Great news!

Suggested Topics