• It is so hot in New York City that the bees and flys are everywhere! Well, this morning my husband took Lillie for a walk and she got stung by a yellow jacket on her left front paw. Since Lillie does not make many sounds, her squeal sent my husband into an emotional wreck! I was already at work. He told me what happened and I tried to contact her vet. Around 1 hr later I went home when the vet told me to check that she was breathing OK and her face did not swell. Thankfully, I made all the lights and my usual 15 min. ride took me 5 min. Lillie seemed fine except her paw was alittle swollen. I took her to the vet. Her heart was good, no fluid, no wheezing. She got a shot of antihistamine and antihistamine pills for 2 days. I decided to take the day off and keep an eye on her. My poor baby…her paw was red and there was a small puncture. Lillie was excellent at the vet's and she is now resting. I'm thrilled that the weather will be getting cooler within the next few days because I don't want to see another yellow jacket or bee around here again!:D
    Jodie:)

• I'm sorry she got stung and glad she is doing better. Hopefully now she'll learn to avoid them.

My cat has some how become a master bee killer (after getting stung once and giving me a heart attack because it was in the mouth). Some how now she's never gotten stung again and she's killed many a bee/wasp/ and yellow jacket

• Poor Lillie!! I bet that sting scared her good. I often worried about Hollie getting stung… especially since she will chase and eat flies, I am fearful she will do the same with bees!! I'm glad to know Lillie is okay!!

• I hope Lillie feels better soon. Senji has a nasty habit of snapping at bees. I can even hear his teeth click together. I don't know if he's trying to catch them or just scare them away. Fortunately, he's never gotten stung!

• Thank you all for your well wishes. The funny thing is that Lillie didn't even notice the yellow jacket because she was on her morning walk. This happened two houses away from me. She was an innocent bystander!
    Well, she is back to normal. By this evening, she had eaten my chapstick, she raced down the steps with one of my knee-his and hat chewed on two of my son's toys! Thankfully, everything is back to normal and it has gotten cooler here, so hopefully, the bees/yellow jackets/wasps and flys will all go South. (sorry, NJ, Pa, Md, Va, W Va, NC, SC, Ga & Fla) is that all the states south of NY?
    Thanks again,

• Glad to know she is back to "normal"! (hee hee!) Yes, I'm always happy when the stinging things head south too!

• No, no, no….......no more stinging things coming south! :eek: Here on the coast we have sand gnats, vicious mosquitoes, and this month my poor husband has been stung twice by yellow jackets or one of their cousins. Our sympathy goes out to Lillie.

Pat

• I keep Children's chewable benadryll tabs for this kind of stuff. You never know when something will happen and the vet usually isnt open.

Childrens chewable benydryll is dosed out be weight.

A half tab will work for the normal adult dose if you dont have the kids version for a 19lb basenji.

• Thanks for the info on the children's benadryl. Never knew that! When I suggested all these miserable flying objects flying South, I should have mentioned South of the US (not any of the US states). Sorry, to anyone South of NYC.
    By the way, what is a sand gnat? Never heard of it, although it sounds gross!

• @Jodie:

Thanks for the info on the children's benadryl. Never knew that! When I suggested all these miserable flying objects flying South, I should have mentioned South of the US (not any of the US states). Sorry, to anyone South of NYC.

You can safely give adult Benadryl up to two caps at a time with no problem. Even for puppies, one cap (250mg) is OK…. according to my Vet...

• @Jodie:

A sand gnat, also known as a sand fly, is a teensy weensy little gnat that lives near the marshlands of coastal Georgia. While other gnats or "no -seeums" are merely annoying, the sand gnat bites. :mad: If the weather is nice enough for humans, it is nice enough for sand gnats. People try all sorts of ways to get rid of them. One solution is to wear lots of Avon's "Skin So Soft". The name of our minor league baseball team is actually: The Savannah Sand Gnats. Honest!

Pat

• I havent experienced biting gnats in Florida. We just has mosquitos I guess.

• I think that's 25 mg, and it is safe to give 1 every 6-8 hours after a bite, according to my veet. I'm sure giving 2 would be fine, especially the first dose. It is a pretty benign drug, might make them sleepy or, horrors, have the reverse effect and make them wild!

A great drug to have on hand, either liquid , tablet or capsule, for stings and allergies.

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics