2Bs vs 1B - How Much Different w/Multiples

• Introducing the 2 dogs can be the key.
    Where are you getting your second basenji from?

• Add me to the chorus wherein 2 B's are actually an improvement over having only 1. When I see other people with only 1 dog, I feel sorry for the dog. They are naturally social pack-oriented animals. I also agree on the common advice of pairing opposite sexes, or if it works out, two males. 2 females rarely work out…I know, because I fostered a few females, and my resident female always made it clear that only one queen could rule the roost.

When we got Buddy, our first B, he was always chasing the resident cats and chewing on things. When we brought home Bella, his pesky behaviors immediately ceased and they bonded within a few weeks.

2 B's are easier than 1!

Also agree on the need to let the B's work disagreements out on their own. 95% of the time, it seems, major disagreements are triggered by human behaviors. Example: last week, my daughter scolded Buddy for reaching for something on an end table. That got him thinking "If I can't have it, then sure as heck, Tippy can't either, and I better make sure he understand that!!!" Then, Buddy went after Tippy in a "kick the dog" frustration reaction.

• As much as I would love to have a second beastie right now and I fully understand the social part, there's a matter of what to do with two when I'm out of town and, of course, finances - two vet bills, two boarding charges. At present I'm trying to get EL D used to my brother's dogs so I can board with my brother - he has a backyard kennel but not a fenced yard. El D will +/- ignore the miniature schnauser but attacks the puppy black lab. And until he feels more comfortable with my brother's family (even without the other dogs) I wouldn't leave him. So one will have to do for now.

• Okay Kim, I lost my first Basenji last year after sisteen years so last November I purchased a new puppy female brindle. Four week later I purchased a male puppy from the same litter. I have now had them for a year just about. I have had very good luck with both and they do well together. The cost is double and the food is double everthing is double. The only problem I can say that I have had is that if one doesn't sleep well than you have two that are not sleeping well. I do walk them together on a double leash and they walk well together. If I go somewhere I take them both, a little more work and if I have to board them that cost more to. But if I had it to do again I would get two again but mine have been together from the begining. Good luck

• @wizard:

As much as I would love to have a second beastie right now and I fully understand the social part, there's a matter of what to do with two when I'm out of town and, of course, finances - two vet bills, two boarding charges. At present I'm trying to get EL D used to my brother's dogs so I can board with my brother - he has a backyard kennel but not a fenced yard. El D will +/- ignore the miniature schnauser but attacks the puppy black lab. And until he feels more comfortable with my brother's family (even without the other dogs) I wouldn't leave him. So one will have to do for now.

Certainly two + won't work for everyone for a variety of reasons–-lifestyle, finance, spousal tolerance, lease/rental agreements, etc.

But it IS nice when they have a buddy. 🙂

• Raye, where did you get your basenji puppies from?

• Sharron,

My basenjis came from a family in Owosso Michigan. She is not really a breeder this was her first litter (not sure if she will have anymore puppies she just had her male fixed. She had a litter of five I took two and my son took one so she felt very lucky because that only left two. Although she didn't have any problem getting homes for them Basenjis are hard to find in Michigan.

Suggested Topics