House training issues–BIGTIME!!

• Help!!! My husband just got done cleaning up the third accident our two b's had today!! We have had Dane and Bella for nearly two months. Last week we just got done building a 1/3 acre fence for them. Although house training has always been an issue we had hoped that once we got the fence done we could easily train them that potty inside was bad and outside was good. Well,,,,,,,it isnt working out that way. Sometimes it has been our fault (we havent made them go before coming back in) but there are other times when they just seem to save it for when they are back inside the house. I guess my question is,,,,,,,do you all have any suggestions for potty training????? Also,,,,,for the first time today Dane and Bella got into a little spat over a chew,,,,,,,,,my husband broke it up without to much fuss,,,,,,,is it normal for dogs that 99% get along (play, wrestle, chase etc) to have a spat that sounds like WW3????? Thanks ,,,,,,,you all are always very helpful!

• @luvsmy2bs:

Help!!! My husband just got done cleaning up the third accident our two b's had today!! We have had Dane and Bella for nearly two months. Last week we just got done building a 1/3 acre fence for them. Although house training has always been an issue we had hoped that once we got the fence done we could easily train them that potty inside was bad and outside was good. Well,,,,,,,it isnt working out that way. Sometimes it has been our fault (we havent made them go before coming back in) but there are other times when they just seem to save it for when they are back inside the house. I guess my question is,,,,,,,do you all have any suggestions for potty training????? Also,,,,,for the first time today Dane and Bella got into a little spat over a chew,,,,,,,,,my husband broke it up without to much fuss,,,,,,,is it normal for dogs that 99% get along (play, wrestle, chase etc) to have a spat that sounds like WW3????? Thanks ,,,,,,,you all are always very helpful!

1. You need to go back to potty training 101… and start from the beginning...and you must be consistant...
    2. As for "spat"... that is totally normal... over something like a chewie... and yes, all B spats sound like WW3

• What we did with our pup when he first got him would be to take him out every hour. Anytime he had a drink he was under supervision. We always made sure the pup would potty while outside so he knew that we would not go back inside unless he pottied. Anytime the pup would wake up he immediately would need to go outside. I would even pick him up at that point because at any moment he could potty.
    You have to be consistant with a pup. They have such a tiny bladder. I swear I thought our pup had a problem with all the peeing he did 🙂

• There are lots of threads on potty training that you will find very useful!

As for #2 OH YES! Spats are very very common. Think of it as children…they will get along nice for a while & then one always gets upset. SO long as there isn't any serious hurting just a lot of what call "yelling" then they will be fine.

• luvsmy2bs, I agree with Tanza about housebreaking 101. I would also consider restricting food and water and put them on a schedule. Our dogs are 3 and we still put them out every couple of hours we are home. They still do not have access to the entire house. Only where we are so we can watch them.

Also, you said accident, but is it pee or poop? If poop was it solid? If either is peeing a lot you may want to have the vet check her urine for a UTI.

Good Luck!!

• We put the dogs on our schedual instead of waiting till they have to go-

We take them out

first thing in the morning

after they eat & before they go to bed

also anytime we come home after being gone or after heavy play/training.

We also walked then to get it in their heads of marking outside. They now will hold it till their walks so they can mark as much as they can.

Suggested Topics