• Besides BRAT - where do you folks find out about these homeless dogs? I don't remember seeing a homeless B in DC on the list. I DID see two Bs being walked in DC last weekend. My husband practically had to lock the doors to keep me from jumping out into traffic to go talk to the owner…..

• For what it's worth, I just got a 9-year-old B from a rescue organization (I knew most of the details of his background; not only was he very well cared for, he was a champion show dog). I've done "the puppy thing" before, didn't want to have to devote that much time to a young dog, wanted the B to match the temperament of the dog I already had (ultra-mellow), and was told that the B's mother was still active and running around at 16 years old! It was the right decision for me. 🙂 ~ Lori ~

• @Kebasmom:

Besides BRAT - where do you folks find out about these homeless dogs?

You visit the Basenji Club of America's website and start contacting breeders. Many breeders have older pups, young adults, retired showdogs, and retired breeding animals who all need homes.

• @Kebasmom:

Besides BRAT - where do you folks find out about these homeless dogs? I don't remember seeing a homeless B in DC on the list. I DID see two Bs being walked in DC last weekend. My husband practically had to lock the doors to keep me from jumping out into traffic to go talk to the owner…..

Also you can check out www.thebasenji.com they will list breeder placements

• Thanks for the info. I knew about those two sites. What I was thinking about was a basenji in a desperate need type situation. I've been B-less for just about two months now. It's been a tough ride so far. I'm on a breeder's list for a tri girl pup but I'm not sure when that will come about. I never realized what a huge hole the loss of one's b could leave in it's wake. Even my husband commented on it the other day. Thanks again….I learn so much from this forum.

• @Kebasmom:

Thanks for the info. I knew about those two sites. What I was thinking about was a basenji in a desperate need type situation. I've been B-less for just about two months now. It's been a tough ride so far. I'm on a breeder's list for a tri girl pup but I'm not sure when that will come about. I never realized what a huge hole the loss of one's b could leave in it's wake. Even my husband commented on it the other day. Thanks again….I learn so much from this forum.

Usually B's in desperate situations wind up with BRAT or with the Breeder… so typically get posted on BRAT or the breeder gets with word out, as Diane did with John S. two girls...

Who is the breeder that you are waiting for a pup from?

• I'm on the wait list with Djakomba in New Jersey.

• @Kebasmom:

I'm on the wait list with Djakomba in New Jersey.

Please be sure that Doris is DNA testing for Fanconi… I have seen some of her dogs in the OFA database for testing, but you do want to ask and make sure.. this is important for anyone considering a pup... and you need to check out the results for yourself... please do not take anyones word for it that it was done... Find out the name of the sire and dam of the litter and then you can go to the OFA data base and seach...

• Thanks Pat. The last time I e-mailed her she was waiting for the results. Do you happen to know the URL for the OFA database?

• @Kebasmom:

Thanks Pat. The last time I e-mailed her she was waiting for the results. Do you happen to know the URL for the OFA database?

www.offa.org and then go to seach OFA data base, you can search by the dogs name or AKC number…

Also besides DNA for Fanconi, she should also be testing for Hips...

• Where to look for a basenji in need. I would say that if you find a good and responsible breeder around where you live - and they meet you and know what you are looking for - they can be a great help in finding an adult dog. I know that in MN we all (not that there are many of us) talk to each other and are on lists with the vet offices and humane societies. It is unusual for a basenji from MN to find itself in BRAT because we typically take them in or have people that we know are looking. One year - I placed 11 animals and hadn't had a litter. (Hope to never do that again)

In any event - people who show and breed and are breed clubs members - have some good resources.

• For those in CA–there is Basenji Rescue of So Cal (also known as Medfly Brigade). Although the dogs are well taken care of by Karen and Chuck, many would have been euthanized due to their condition/age, etc. But they have wonderful dogs there. Every time I look at my Tyler and Zoey, it's a constant reminder that I've really done something worthwhile--and that's a very good feeling.

• Great news…we've got a GIRL....went with the 3 year old who happens to be 2.5 yrs old. The decision was easy since the 9 year old's coordinator never contacted me. So we will be picking up our Belle next Sat the 22nd if all goes well and transport can be arrainged. I tell you were are so excited and yet very nervouse. SHe' noe potty trained so have to start that and well hasn't had much training since her previous owners had no clue what a B was and had her as a regular house dog....no exercise or stimulation. Pluse she was allowed to pee inside I think usually her crate. So I'm thinking you will all start hearing I mean reading my desperate cries for help shortly.
    I'm so thankful to the advise I received when I was looking for my B. I was on the list and after you're advise just started contacting everyone on the brat page asking for a home visit and within I think 2-3 weeks here I am getting our new little fur daughter. Thank you all and will be posting pict as soon as I can

• congrats on your new addition

• thank you thank you thank you..any advise anyone. two seperate beds or one big bed? two seperate leashes or the one that divides but is really one? Champ is now left out the crate since he is potty trained but Belle isn't. Don't think it would be nice to leave one in and the other out so thinking of crating Champ again when left home alone….do you think this will be bad for him? He just started to be left out 1 month

• so many ?'s…but yes very exciting

• Congrats on the new dog. Did you bring your dog?

If so how did the meeting go?

We keep our in seperate crates one on top of the other stacked. The female jumps in & out of her crate.

• @luzmery928:

thank you thank you thank you..any advise anyone. two seperate beds or one big bed? two seperate leashes or the one that divides but is really one? Champ is now left out the crate since he is potty trained but Belle isn't. Don't think it would be nice to leave one in and the other out so thinking of crating Champ again when left home alone….do you think this will be bad for him? He just started to be left out 1 month

Uh…I would have separate everything for now...ya know how two year old humans don't like to share? Basenjis are like that when they first get to know each other too....good luck....

I don't think you need to worry about crating one and not the other......do whatever seems to work best when you get Belle home.

• Congrats on the soon to be new member of your family…be sure to post pictures when you get some! 😃

• @Barklessdog:

Congrats on the new dog. Did you bring your dog?

If so how did the meeting go?

We keep our in seperate crates one on top of the other stacked. The female jumps in & out of her crate.

I love your photo…so cute. 😃

Suggested Topics