• I did a little test with our dogs. I wanted to test our dogs hearing.

Our yard is about 125 feet long. While the dogs were at one end of the yard I tried whispering something that would get a auto response from them, like "Go for a walk?" or "Car ride".

I tried to whisper it as quietly/low as I could without moving my lips.

I tried it several times and worked just about every time . Their ears perked up and sometimes their heads tilted. Then I tried it inside. As soon as I started whispering it really got their attention, it also got my kids attention as well.

So when you yell at your dog to get his attention or feel the need to repeat something - they heard you the first time. They are just ignoring you.

Next time you want your dogs attention try whispering to him.

• This is what I always tell my clients-your dog will tune you out if you yell or talk in a loud voice. If you talk normally or whisper you dog will focus their attention on you to find out what's going on.

• Works on your kids too!

• Oh yes, it does! When I have laryngitis the kids hate it because they have to listen.

• LOL, I just tried it on Reggie. First I tried the "C" word, very slight ear twitch then I did "wanna go byebye" ear twitch again, then "reggie what's that" I got a full head move and he looked at me

• So when you yell at your dog to get his attention or feel the need to repeat something - they heard you the first time. They are just ignoring you.

That's hysterical !!! ROFL ROFL…I guess you're right 😃

• Hollie has a total hearing loss when she is hunting. I have even had to walk up to her and touch her to get her to acknowledge my presence. I will have to try the whisper and see if it works. I know it works when she is "cat" napping in her chair (yes she has her OWN chair), but I'm curious about how it will work when she is on the hunt. We'll see!!

• I read somewhere recently "The quickest way to get your childs attention, is to talk quietly….to someone else" I guess this must work for basenji's too lol

• I tried it on a dog walk while he was starring at something. Did not work, acted like he was deaf.

Basenji's are like a two year old who never grows up.

• And if there is trouble to be found-they'll find it!

Suggested Topics