• I have a 9 month old male who used to crave attention, but has recently gotten more obsessed with it, and is in need of it all the time. If I don't give him attention, he will whine and if I put him in his crate, he will claw at the sides of the kennel while whining.

I was wondering what suggestions you have as to why he does this, and how I can get him to even revert back to how he was 3 months ago when I got him. I though that the longer I had him, if I tried to get him used to his kennel and not being held constantly, he would get better, not worse.

• @etzbseder:

I have a 9 month old male who used to crave attention, but has recently gotten more obsessed with it, and is in need of it all the time. If I don't give him attention, he will whine and if I put him in his crate, he will claw at the sides of the kennel while whining.

I was wondering what suggestions you have as to why he does this, and how I can get him to even revert back to how he was 3 months ago when I got him. I though that the longer I had him, if I tried to get him used to his kennel and not being held constantly, he would get better, not worse.

Are you using the kennel when you are home? If so, why? That of course will cause him to whine if you are there and he is in the crate. Crates should not be used as a place to put the dog, just because… is there a reason he can't be loose when you are home?

Have you done any OB training with him? Have you taught him things like sit, stay, off? Is he used to being held all the time and now you don't? What kind of situations gets him crying for attention? Is he getting out enough? Remember a tired Basenji is a good Basenji....

• He is in the kennel sometimes when people are at home, but it's because I am not and therefore can't watch him. My roommates are doing their own things, and don't want to have to watch him, so when I am in class (1-2 hours at a time, 1-2 times a day), he is in there. He is also in there a few times of about 30 minutes when I am home, if I can't watch him for some reason, but he still can't seem to get enough attention. I walk him and run with him several times a day, but he never seems to stay tired enough for long enough.

I did 8 weeks of puppy classes at petsmart, and will be redoing the classes, just as beginner instead in the next 2 months.

He does know sit, wait, and off, but the only one he really listens to is off.

He starts crying for attention whenever we don't have him on our lap or petting him. no matter what. and no, he wasn't always held before, he would just sit in the middle of the family room and be calm. I have no idea what changed, or why he needs soo much attention.

• <>
    I dunno, Pat...I use my crates sometimes when I am home. Of course, when I just had one dog I didn't 😉
    I think it is good for dogs to be conditioned to being quiet in the crate when people are home. There may be times that the dog needs to be crated when people are around.
    Esteb...if you are letting him out when he whines, he will continue to do it, and he will increase his whining at first when you don't let him out. And then he will try scratching, and carrying on, until he finally realizes that isn't going to work.
    The best thing to do is to put him in there, get out of sight and be quiet. As soon as he gets quiet, run in and let him out. Start to teach him that being quiet is what gets you out of your crate. Give him something super fabulous to do while he is in there, like a raw femur bone or something...

• Etzbseder-you could also condition him to stay on the floor without petting him or any of your attention. You could start with 5 min petting & then set him on the floor with a YUMMY filled kong or compressed raw hide bone. Give him great treats on the floor NOT on your lap or while petting. He's got to understand that he doesn't need your attention all the time & he also gets good things when he's on his own.

If you ARE home & you can't watch him can you put him in an expen near wherever you are so he doesn't feel so confined but still not getting into trouble. I do think you're crating him for the right reasons but he may not be understanding that. He's probably interpreting it as punishment…not staying safe.

Hope this works for you. Good luck 🙂

Suggested Topics