• @BDawg1005:

We will have to have a get-together to compare!! 😉

We'd be thrilled!:) I'd love to see you all again.

It would be interesting to see if he'd remember us or maybe this place.;)

• @Basenji_Boy:

😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

Uh..okay…they ARE really big 😉

• @BDawg1005:

We will have to have a get-together to compare!! 😉

By the way, a good judge of weight is to be able to see the ribs when they move… obviously not sticking out... but you should be able to see them

• I will have to try and find Mickii's baby pictures… we used to call her the elephant ear basenji... gggg.....

• I think that's a good pic to see the size difference between Lexi and Miles. Miles is just a solid, good looking boy. I don't know if he fits the standard, but IMO, he should be THE standard… 🙂 hhehehehehehe

And one of my favs... (even though his coat was still recovering here)

• People at the park often say my Garrett is big for a basenji. He is 18in tall and 25lbs. As far as standard stuff goes he's kind of a mess…big ears, black eyeliner, dew claws, round eyes, shaggy neck/side burns & a few scars on his muzzle. Although I always say what he lacks in looks he has in personality he's a easy going boy that gives me little to no trouble.

• Garrett sounds like Johnny Depp… Arrrrrr!! 😉

• Phoenix is on the chunky side But the vet said he's only 2 to 3 pds out of range for his size and muscle So we just call him "alittle fluffy " lol 😃

attachment_p_21627_0_picture-101.jpg
    attachment_p_21627_1_picture-104.jpg

• Denver was also a big boy

attachment_p_21629_0_denver.jpg
    attachment_p_21629_1_puppies.jpg

• My B mix Scarlett weighs in at 36.4 lbs.

• @vstripe:

People at the park often say my Garrett is big for a basenji. He is 18in tall and 25lbs. As far as standard stuff goes he's kind of a mess…big ears, black eyeliner, dew claws, round eyes, shaggy neck/side burns & a few scars on his muzzle. Although I always say what he lacks in looks he has in personality he's a easy going boy that gives me little to no trouble.

he's not that big –isnt' the standard for males 17" and 24 lbs? And the eyes are supposed to have dark rims.... so maybe he's not as far off as you think!:)

• That is correct the standard is 17" and 24 lbs… and yes the standard calls for dark rims... and I LOVE a B with "black eyeliner!!"......

• @tanza:

That is correct the standard is 17" and 24 lbs… and yes the standard calls for dark rims... and I LOVE a B with "black eyeliner!!"......

me too! It really makes the eyes stand out, and gives so much expression.

I tried weighing Keoki on my bathroom scale. He wasn't terribly cooperative – kept wiggling and stepping off, etc. But the weight that registered was 24 lbs. That could be off though. I'm not sure exactly how to do the shoulder measurements, but I measured him at 17.5".

He's only 9 mos. My guess {and I'm only guessing as he's only my second B ever, and my first male} is he won't get any taller {??}, but will bulk up a bit? So, he may wind up a bit heavier than standard? He's pretty lean now.

• @JazzysMom:

me too! It really makes the eyes stand out, and gives so much expression.

I tried weighing Keoki on my bathroom scale. He wasn't terribly cooperative – kept wiggling and stepping off, etc. But the weight that registered was 24 lbs. That could be off though. I'm not sure exactly how to do the shoulder measurements, but I measured him at 17.5".

He's only 9 mos. My guess {and I'm only guessing as he's only my second B ever, and my first male} is he won't get any taller {??}, but will bulk up a bit? So, he may wind up a bit heavier than standard? He's pretty lean now.

I would guess that he will not be much bigger… but that as he matures he will be heavier depending on his conformation. At last measurement, Kobey was just on 17 and 24lbs... While I expect that he will not get much taller (maybe a 1/4" or so) I believe that he will top out at good show weight at close to 26lbs.. IMO....

However to all remember these are "suggested" size/weight, there are no DQ's in our breed (well, other then testicles, they need "2")...

• The easiest way to weigh an animal (that can be picked up) is to weight yourself the re weigh yourself holding the dog and subtract the two.

• Senji is at least 33-34 pound. But then again, he "cheated"…he's been on prednisone. He was actually heavier, but they cut down his dosage.

• Yeah I never thought he was all that big, until alote of people at the park would comment. The basenji's that we see at the dog park are small maybe thats why 🙂 I notice the B's that I see at the dog shows have tiny ears, they are cute like kitty ears.
    Garretts friend Angus is 18-19" tall and was once 35 pounds. The vet said "oh my that's the biggest B I have ever seen". He has lost some weight though since then ha.

• oh these pictures of your Bs are absolutely beautiful. I love looking at them, especially the one with the grapes and flowers. that is is absolutely beautiful. thank you for posting them.

• See I've been saying this for a long time that my Abby is small everyone that see's her that knows about b's says she's so little. She's tall about 16" but she only weighs 17.5, I think she is too skinny but I can not get her to bulk up. Maybe this winter when she doesn't go out as much!?!

• Nala is on the small side too. It took Nala until she was 7+ years old to get to over 17 lbs. She kind of porked up over this summer, but has now trimmed down nicely.

Suggested Topics