Should I get two at the same time?

• :rolleyes: So, I'm on a breeder's list to get a girl basenji. Now I'm wondering - is it hard to handle two pups at the same time? I've only ever had one B at a time and a mixed breed too. Am I crazy to even think about it? :eek: Should they be related?

• I would not recommend getting 2 puppies at the same time. I think it takes some time to get a new puppy or dog settled into the house. If you are thinking that you would like 2 you may want to consider a young adult/yearling that you could bring home and get settled before the puppy comes home.

• Only if you've lost your mind or want to. LOL as my husband is explaining to me on the fon how he has to chase her down every day to put her in the kennel and she knows what time it is. LMAO

• Thanks a million, you are correct. I didn't even think about it that way.

• I have mixed feelings about getting two at the same time… One thing, you need to get a male and female if you are going to get two... especially from the same litter and that is not always the best thing.... sometimes ones from the same litter have "issues" with their littermates.... that said, I got two at the same time, male and female, different litters, born two weeks apart... My reasons... well, mostly cause I was interested in showing and breeding at some point.. As it turned out, while my boy is a champion we never did use him due to I didn't really think I had a bitch he would cross well with and other reasons... but the other reasons were that we worked and I really wanted them to have company of each other during the day. That said, there needs to be a very BIG effort to make sure that they bond to you and not to only each other... so that is a big point to consider. Also, my home is set up so that I didn't have to crate them during the day when we were not home. I had the laundry room set up with a big 300 wire crate and there was a doggy door outside.. the laundry room was very small (especially with the washer/dryer and water heater in there, so there was not much they could get into but their crate... and it worked really well.... It was alot of work to watch two during potty training.... gggg... especially my boy...
    So for me, getting two was the idea situation.. again that said, I don't have children, so after work I could concentrate on the pups...

• Thanks to all for the input. I don't know where my mind was when I was thinking this. I guess I was just thinking about the fact that basenjis seem to have more fun when they have a basenji companion. I'll also give more thought to an older basenji. Please don't think I'm a fool. I just had a temporary lapse in judgement…...Thanks for saving me from myself.

• We got 2 from the same littre, a male and a female and there were certainly some challenges. It took much longer to potty train since we had to constatly watch 2 of these little sneakers and invariably, when one would go and we started to clean up, that is when the other would sneak off and pee. Of course, we also used puppy pads which was part of the problem with getting them trained quickly as IMO, pads just teach them it is OK to go inside.

We also were able to set them up so they could go outside and have a room to come into as well so overall our experience was very much like Tanza.

All in all, looking back, I would still have gotten 2 though.

• Willy and Jasper are 5 months apart. That little bit of time allowed us to get Willy broken in and out of the "puppy stage" before we brought in Jasper. It worked out well so far they are inseparable. We try to make sure we take them everywhere together.

We also have two females that we keep together that are the same age. We got one as a pup and the other 9 months later….....no fights and everything is good so far.

The other female we have couldn't have another bitch with her if we wanted to.

They are all different IMO and each circumstance is different. Two puppies together would be a challenge without question, you'd need to invest a lot of time and effort to make it work.

• I have alot of experience raising up pairs of pups (I am a breeder) and I can vouch for the difficulties involved. It is a challenge to raise up one precocious toddler but raising precocious "twins" can be downright exhausting. (I have 5 month old "triplets" here this year and I have no desire to raise three up EVER again!)

What I recommend is to just get one puppy and work your hiney off raising it up. Take it to puppy socializing classes, obedience classes, and train it well in household manners. Wait until it is well trained, be it 1-2 years, and then get a puppy. The older dog will help guide and raise the next puppy and if you follow the same pattern as the first, you will have two Basenjis who are pleasant to be around and live with.

• I would adopt an older B (BRAT?) and then get your pup. This way the older one that is house trained can help train you new little one.
    Just an Idea, and I have never tried it, but have heard it works. And since you do want two, this solves a couple of problems:)

• @YodelDogs:

What I recommend is to just get one puppy and work your hiney off raising it up. Take it to puppy socializing classes, obedience classes, and train it well in household manners. Wait until it is well trained, be it 1-2 years, and then get a puppy. The older dog will help guide and raise the next puppy and if you follow the same pattern as the first, you will have two Basenjis who are pleasant to be around and live with.

This is what I did. Duke was a just over a year old when I brought Daisy home. He was trained well enough to bring in another pup. Except, I'd say that it was easier potty training Duke than it was with Daisy. They are so close in age with the same energy level, so it works out good. Though they get VERY noisy at times. They're perfect together. I think they're both alfa dogs. Is that possible?? Neither takes any crap from the other. 😕

• @Duke:

This is what I did. Duke was a just over a year old when I brought Daisy home. He was trained well enough to bring in another pup. Except, I'd say that it was easier potty training Duke than it was with Daisy. They are so close in age with the same energy level, so it works out good. Though they get VERY noisy at times. They're perfect together. I think they're both alfa dogs. Is that possible?? Neither takes any crap from the other. 😕

For sure both can be "alfa"….

• @ChristyRutherford:

I would adopt an older B (BRAT?) and then get your pup. This way the older one that is house trained can help train you new little one.
    Just an Idea, and I have never tried it, but have heard it works. And since you do want two, this solves a couple of problems:)

It can also backfire. Whatever bad habits and bad behaviors the rescue has will be learned by the pup.

• @YodelDogs:

It can also backfire. Whatever bad habits and bad behaviors the rescue has will be learned by the pup.

Then I better not get a puppy :p
    Do you think I can get an older B to teach my 4yo some house manners.

I wasn't thinking of it that way, but it makes sense. I would not do that with the loveable, amazing, sweet little piece of terror I have now. He is my buddy, but I wouldnt clone him. His personality I would, but his housetraining I wouldnt. (He was never trained so now we just "manage" his "issues" and try and work on them):)

• @tanza:

For sure both can be "alfa"….

:eek: If both think they are alpha, is that a good for me? I mean, will there there be peace in my home? I am new to this…two dogs. Daisy seems to be front and center to go outside, but Duke charges first. When I come home, they argue for first rights to me. (not too pleasant) Though you confirm both can be "alpha", I deep down hope one will submit. Daisy is now only 8 months old, Duke, 1 yr. 7 mos. I was figuring the bitch would rule. What are the odds at this stage for an alpha order? I realize it's tough to speculate but would make life easier. I hope Duke submits b/c he's so stubborn and hard headed. KWIM? I would not hope for a dual at every turn. :eek:

• If they both fight for attention when you come home…. take the lead and ignore both of them until they settle down....
    If both alpha IMO... they will always be alpha... remember the pup is still trying to figure out her place at 8 months and trying her "wings" IMO....

• @tanza:

If they both fight for attention when you come home…. take the lead and ignore both of them until they settle down....

Yes as hard as it is to ignore them, they can be cute.:D Greeting multiples can cause little power fights for attention. I've seen my wife come home, read mail, do some dishes and then acknowledge the b's.

• Ahhh! Thanks for the advice and support on this. You know I've complained about it before. Waiting out the maturity factor seems unending. I have ignored them upon coming home, taking shoes off, going thru mail, emptying lunch box, change of clothes and dishes. Sure wish they'd understand that crowding my feet and legs sometimes results with a stepped on paw…I will pay more attention with having a consistent routine, since sometimes I greet them immediatly when I get home. (depends on my mood when I greet, I think) They'll learn to "wait".

• I got my boys when they were 4 months old, they're from the same litter, and I have really had no serious trouble with them. They are about 8 months old, and their personalities really keep each other occupied. The reason we got to is cuz we didn't want them to be lonely. It didn't cross my mind that two would be more of a handful than one.

When I get home and greet one the other sits patiently looking up at me waiting his turn for love. Ok, this shows just how pathetically smitten I am over my pups, I try to always make sure that I greet a different boy every time so the other boy doesn't feel like I have a favorite. Wow, what an insight on myself.

• @myie:

I got my boys when they were 4 months old, they're from the same litter, and I have really had no serious trouble with them. They are about 8 months old, and their personalities really keep each other occupied. The reason we got to is cuz we didn't want them to be lonely. It didn't cross my mind that two would be more of a handful than one.

When I get home and greet one the other sits patiently looking up at me waiting his turn for love. Ok, this shows just how pathetically smitten I am over my pups, I try to always make sure that I greet a different boy every time so the other boy doesn't feel like I have a favorite. Wow, what an insight on myself.

Are they still in-tact? If so, be prepared… breeding season is about to come on us... and 99% of Basenjis know when it is breeding season regardless if you have bitches or not... so keep your eye on them.... And it can take till they are a yr or 2 old for same sex siblings to begin having problems...

Suggested Topics