• Hello. Although I do not have a Basenji dog my Westie, Riley, was just diagnosed with Fanconi. She goes tomorrow for the blood gas test. Needless to say I am heart broken. It came on so suddenly. She just stopped eating and drinking alot of water. I thought maybe she had a blockage of some sorts. The only thing I can get her to eat is chicken breast if I hand feed her. It's been about 2 weeks since she's really eaten and she's losing alot of weight. Tomorrow she goes back to the vet and hopefully they can do something to get her to eat. It's breaking my heart to see her like this.

• @dema:

Hello. Although I do not have a Basenji dog my Westie, Riley, was just diagnosed with Fanconi. She goes tomorrow for the blood gas test. Needless to say I am heart broken. It came on so suddenly. She just stopped eating and drinking alot of water. I thought maybe she had a blockage of some sorts. The only thing I can get her to eat is chicken breast if I hand feed her. It's been about 2 weeks since she's really eaten and she's losing alot of weight. Tomorrow she goes back to the vet and hopefully they can do something to get her to eat. It's breaking my heart to see her like this.

Have you been to the Basenji Club of America website for the Fanconi Protocol? Did you have blood gases done to confirm Fanconi? And I would suggest that you have your Vet call and talk to Dr. Gonto, who developed the Fanconi Protocol if he/she has not done so already….

So very sorry to hear about your Riley and hope that if you can get her on the protocol that she can be helped...

• dema -
    I'm going to send a private email with the name of an internet group that is a wonderful support to those of us with Fanconi dogs. I know how scary and overwhelming this all is, especially at first.

Hugs to you,
    Lorraine

• Hi again dema,

Here's a link to the Basenji Club of America site. There's a link to the Protocol on there:
    http://www.basenjiclub.com/?q=node/36
    Also, UTI's crop up frequently with Fanconi dogs - one of the main ways you can tell is by lack of appetite and/or vomiting. Try to take a urine sample to your vet to have it checked for signs of that. A round of antibiotics may help - I've heard Baytril and Clavamox work best.
    Do take a copy of the Fanconi Protocol with you to your vet's office as well.

More hugs,
    Lorraine

• Dema, so sorry to hear. I didn't realize other breeds got Fanconi. The one vet I spoke to had never even heard of it. I think you came to the right place. Hugs from our family…

• So sorry to hear about your Westie. Here's hoping she lives a long and happy life on Dr. Gonto's fanconi protocol.

• Sending lots of prayers to you & your Westie. Please stay positive.

• @dash:

Dema, so sorry to hear. I didn't realize other breeds got Fanconi. The one vet I spoke to had never even heard of it. I think you came to the right place. Hugs from our family…

And that is a problem… Vets that have never heard of it, or the protocol... and yes, many breeds get Fanconi... according to Dr. Gonto

• Lots of ((hugs)) to Riley, you and your family…please keep us posted.

Suggested Topics