• ruff - bristling - think of other animals in the wild - they frequently have similar behavior and are trying to make themselves 'bigger' to be dominate or to look too big to eat. (think puffer fish).

circling on you is pretty clear ownership - just as constant licking of a person. I would suggest that however cute it may seem. it should not be allowed. If she has learned a sit/stay - (ok ok I know that mine don't know this either but somebody might) put her in that position and lay down briefly, get up and then release her from the command.

• Now that would be amusing, if their hair stood on end whenever they were startled. The mention of a puffer fish brought that image to mind. The only time mine really circle is when they need to go to the restroom and the circle by the door.

• and of course there is the famous - or at least in my neighborhodd it is - Poop circle - they poop and turn trying to keep a look out or see what else might be going on or….......

• Yup. We couldn't figure out what Donge was doing or trying to look at as he circled during Obedience School. That is until he left a circle of poop. Poor guy he really tried to hold it = /

• we call that our dogs bumble bee dance.

• so you guys are saying that her hair is raised because she's aroused and circling to figure out whats going on?

• I think you're Mom's on the right track. By adopting a 'submissive' pose, you're making the dog anxious. She thinks she's expected to do something, but she's not sure what. She would prefer it if you would act like a grownup, so she won't have to! What is inoccuous or meaningless to us can be very significant in 'dog culture.' Basenjis are all about the pack and have a lot of ancient customs we don't always understand. It's part of their intrigue and charm.

Suggested Topics