• well this is my first day back at work. I went to New Smyrna Beach (S of Daytona) for a weeks vacation.

James, my roommate and boyfriend was covering the 3 basenjis for the week. Here are 2 pics of James and Savanah.

As you can see, she has warmed up quite a bit to the human touch. She is so happy and well tempered. Cairo and Caesar love her to death.

I have found a forever home for her and his name is John. He is a friend of the family and I expect we will meet Savanah on weekends for play.

She is starting to fill in a bit. No major weight gain yet, but solid poop and healthy skin is an accomplishment.

Last night she learned Sit, Lie Down, Touch, Up, and Down. All 3 walk on the leashes together and dont pull (except for Cairo).

I received a call mid week saying it was pretty hard to take care of 3 basenjis. Needless to say, I came home early to relieve some of that.

I went to the dog park this weekend with the 3 basenjis and introduced John to the basenji pack and their owners. I think it is great he understands their personalities and seems committed to taking her.

Savanah did great at the park. She ran up to Danes, alpha female basenjis and anything that moved. She wanted to play, sniff and would hold her ground without a bite! She fell right in with the pack and slept the rest of the day.

• Great To Hear Mantis!!

• That's wonderful! That sounds like a great match. She sure is a beauty…and seems to enjoy all of the loving kindness you have showered her with. You truly are a sweetheart!

• Savanah is such a beautiful little girl. She still isnt gaining weight, but appears to be filling in. Her fur is growing and is soft. Her ears now have peach fuzz on them.

I found that she is so playful (more than my puppy) that we have to take a walk in the morning around the block. She eats an entire can in the morning, walks, and will finally snuggle with me for 30min before work!

It is such a blessing to be able to rub her feet and ears and see her snuggle up to Cairo in my lap.

Tell you what, I will definately be adding a girl to my pack when that time comes. Girls just are different from my boys. I miss Beta, but it has been fun taking care of a little girl. Cairo is really going to miss her.

• Well Savanah is doing very well. I have reduced her wet food to half a can in the morn and half at night with a bit of Tylan and she finally has solid poop again! Yeah!!

I can't see her spine or ribs anymore! I can still see her poop shoot, but I am sure she will fit that in next.

She loves little Cairo and Caesar so much. I hope she will enjoy her forever home with John as much as we have enjoyed having her. She is such a ball of energy and really has become sweeter each day.

Her little bald ears are covered with baby fuzz.

John will be taking her Sunday night and she will be spayed Monday morning. Then she will recover with him and begin her next chapter of her basenji life with him.

I will try to get him on the website so he can post her status and can get support for the basenji-isms we are all so fond of….

• I am so glad to know Savannah has found a FURever home. Thanks to your friend John for adopting her. What a great b-friend you have, to stay with THREE basenjis while you were gone. I'm sure James was glad to see you return!!! :p

• I will be sure to post pictures and keep everone up to date with how she is doing.:D

• This is John Neff who adopted Savanah. They are doing great together and I am sure he will need all of the encouragement he can get as she adjusts to the new environment!

• Here are pics of Caesar (red boy 6), Cairo (brindle boy-8mo) and Savanah at the park this past Saturday. They played their guts out for 3hours in a sunny 93 degree heat.

This is the Crest Lake Dog Park in Clearwater, FL.

Cairo is in the maroon harness:

And Savanah is in the green:

Caesar sat overseeing or protecting me most of the day:

Savanah and Cairo ran and ran and ran! She really enjoys play time and looks so much better now that she has been with us a month:

Here is a pic of the three crashing after their day of play. That is Savanah with her head up:

John picked up Savanah Sunday and took her home with him. Cairo spent all night looking for her. Sad little boy.

John called and said she did fine her first night with him. He dropped her at the vet for her spay today. She weighed 17lbs! That means she finally gained 3lbs in one week!

it should be smooth sailing from here! Have fun John and we can't wait for Savanah to come over and play again.

• Awww it must have been a bitter sweet goodbye for everyone 🙂 I hope little Savannah does well in her brand new home. And hats off to you Mantis for doing such a kind deed 😃 The Bs at Rainbow Bridge are looking down very happy 😉

• You did everything right dear.
    Kudos for your caring for a basenji in need.
    You have earned your stars in heaven…that is for sure.
    Have John give us updates please.
    This is better than any soap opera on tv.

• here is a pic john just sent me. he just picked her up from her spaying and she screamed the whole way to his house. she is being quiet, has pain meds and is hanging with john on the couch for the rest of the day

They fixed her little hernia while they were at it:)

• The pain meds will help, but they also make the b's feel better than they are…so keeping them quiet for the time the vet wants was the hardest part for us.
    What a lucky girl she is...
    YOU All have Done GOOD!

• Aw…you are one awesome lady, Mantis! She'll be fine at her new home and from her spaying. She sure is a sweetie. ((Hugs)) to you, Ceasar and Cairo!

• Betsie, you are Savanah's angel and she is truly rescued by you and John. Thanks and I know that John will have the hands on support with your help transitioning life with basenji. Savanah is a real beauty.

John, I hope you find this forum to be informative as you blend your life with little Savanah. This place and the people here have been very-Very helpful for me.

• Here is another picture from John. I havent heard how she is doing today yet.

• Oh I do hope she heals up soon & back to her old rambunctious self 😃

• Well savannah is back to her devious little self once more. She is eating plent of food and meeting lots of new people.

Thanks for all of the support

Suggested Topics