Okay, deep growling..when moving Tobias?

• I'm not sure what it means, but if Toby is sleeping, in my spot, on my bed, I try to move him over just a bit, so that I can fit myself in, he growls at me. Never bites, or even acts like he will, but he is doing it alot more lately? We just bought a new bed, a Tempur-pedic. Since I have Fibromyalgia, I needed something a little more comfy. Toby is addicted to this mattress!! He would stay on that bed forever if I let him, only get up to relieve himself, get a drink or eat. He never did this with the old mattress, why? Any ideas?

• What would he do if you shut the door and he can't use the bed? It must be a real comfy mattress though if even the dog won't get up! LOL

Duke has a quiet sort of growl (non-threatening) when he's sleeping and he's in my spot. It's almost a kind of an unconscience sort of growl b/c he doesn't open his eyes, he might hear activity and motion before and when being moved. My - they must feel safe and secure in their hooman's beds. Nothing like being in the African bush! 😃

• I think if I shut the door, I would get really cold! LOL He does keep me warm. I know I'm spoiling him and I shouldn't. You know, come to think of it, he never opens his eyes either, just mumbles, then starts licking me on the hand, sometimes barely gnawing on my finger, like its a pacifier, then right back to sleep he goes.

• Sahara will not growl or anything when you move her and she is asleep. I guess this is b/c I got her use to being moved when she was a puppy, I read on this site about sleeping dogs growling. But she goes growl at times when she thinks I am leaving her, or won't let her in the bathroom while I am in there. I go to the bathroom and she will grab my wrist with her mouth and growl real loud while chomping down on my wrist. She also tries to do this when I am getting into my car to go to work or anywhere at times. She will latch onto the back tail end of my shirt and hold on to keep me home. She is doing this more since I started a new job and I am gone more. She is abviously trying to keep me home with her, any suggestions???? She is not crated when I go to work b/c my hubby is home. I am working days now and he works night shift, I just changed. HELP!!!!!!!!

• Nala doesn't like to be disturbed while sleeping anywhere! She makes a noise of protest, but I wouldn't call it a growl. It's more of a groan with some noises afterwards. She sleeps under the covers with us, ideally between someones legs or in the "nook" of our knees. She groans if we move and then sighs when back "in place".
    Nala also will play with me and gnaw ever-so-gently on my fingers when we've been playing and then she relaxes. She also will gently use her front teeth on my arm, as if she is scratching herself. It's very cute. Almost like I'm in her exclusive club (of 1)!! LOL! They are very sweet, adorable dogs, unique dogs, aren't they??

• @nala121498:

Nala doesn't like to be disturbed while sleeping anywhere! She makes a noise of protest, but I wouldn't call it a growl. It's more of a groan with some noises afterwards. She sleeps under the covers with us, ideally between someones legs or in the "nook" of our knees. She groans if we move and then sighs when back "in place".
    Nala also will play with me and gnaw ever-so-gently on my fingers when we've been playing and then she relaxes. She also will gently use her front teeth on my arm, as if she is scratching herself. It's very cute. Almost like I'm in her exclusive club (of 1)!! LOL! They are very sweet, adorable dogs, unique dogs, aren't they??

The teeth on your arm is what we call "D-Flea"ing"….. it is quite common in our breed....

• Barkless, it is just their way of saying, I am comfortable, don't move me.

Caesar is 6 and has just started doing this. I gave the two boys a new bed and they love it. Caesar loves it so much that he wont come out of the kennel in the morning to pee before work.

I actually pull him out by his legs. He rolls onto his back as I drag him out. He is too crazy….

No big deal. If I hear it, I definately pick him up completely and move him so he knows his growling has no effect on me.

He just curls up next to me anyway.....

• Our male used to go psycho when we let him sleep with us if you bumped him in a deep sleep. He nows sleeps in his crate for the last three years. He even asks to go to bed in his crate because he can then really relax.

He's always trying to be alpha, but were not having that and he knows it. It's sad that he can't but he is a much better dog "observing" the alpha dog rules. He's a much happier dog now.

We let our othe dog sleep with us. She might growl, but never bites. The worst part is her sleeping in the middle of the bed, then stretches hers paws out in a locked positioin with those little prickly nails. Or if you get too close she kicks you with her back legs like a kanagroo!

• Ha ha!! I get the kicks too from Topaz when we're all on the couch it's too funny 😃 😃

Barkless-with the growling just pick her up & move her. It's not her bed, it's yours so learn how to claim & she'll get the hint. Topaz used to do this as well whenever she was asked to leave the couch. Now she gets the collar & she knows it's time to move it! 😃

Youngandtired-have you tried leaving her in the house with a kong every time you leave?? Even if you don't close the door of her crate can you leave a kong filled with either wet food or home cooked chicken & parmesan cheese or Peanut Butter just something absolutely delicious that she never gets any other time! So when it's time for you to leave she'll think…"oh my I get to have that extra yummy treat because mom is leaving & it's great!!!" Try to associate your leaving with something very good..something irresistible 😃 cookie treats just will not do.

• i read somewhere that the growling when you go to pick them up is a very primal response…in africa when a dog is sleeping the only thing that would approach and touch him would be an enemy, therefore the deep throated warning growl. I respect that growl, i dont know how you feel about it, i back away and leave the dog alone. it's serious.

• I would have to say depends on where he/she is sleeping-if it's on MY bed, MY furniture-I have a problem with that. If it's in HIS/HER crate that's their personal space and to leave them alone.

• @nomrbddgs:

I would have to say depends on where he/she is sleeping-if it's on MY bed, MY furniture-I have a problem with that. If it's in HIS/HER crate that's their personal space and to leave them alone.

I have to say, I mostly agree with your Arlene…. However even in their crates I want to be able to get them if I need to.... but your are right, they do get personal space to a degree....

• @tanza:

I have to say, I mostly agree with your Arlene…. However even in their crates I want to be able to get them if I need to.... but your are right, they do get personal space to a degree....

I agree. I don't like growling. I will put up with a little "complaining" but I will still make the dog follow thru and move. Luckily, I haven't had a dog that will bite in this situation. So I just tell them to knock it off, grab their collar and pull them off. If I had a biter, I would need to invest more work in training them to hop off the bed/couch/whatever on request 😉

• Well, what is interesting about this topic is that you can often read of basenjis that have been put onto the Brat rescue pages because of the growling and parents afraid for their children.

It is important to determine if it is killer growling or just grumbles.

• @Mantis:

Well, what is interesting about this topic is that you can often read of basenjis that have been put onto the Brat rescue pages because of the growling and parents afraid for their children.

It is important to determine if it is killer growling or just grumbles.

Most likely both, and grumbles can certainly lead to "real growling" and possible biting…

• Oh, I didn't say I would put up with it-just meant that I would expect it more.

• Right…and a dog that "grumbles" at an adult may very well snap at child. So I can understand why families with kids may not want to wait around to find out how serious the dog is.

Again, this is why we say over and over that Basenjis are not for everyone! They are a Level 3 breed, and way too many Level 1 owners end up with them, and have no idea what to expect, and how to deal with issues...

• can you tell us what the levels mean? I have never heard of that?

• I can still remember the first time i ever met a basenji, they were in crates at a dog show in boston…as i approached one of the crates the little dog in the crate let out with the most unbelievably scarey growls and snarls i have ever heard in my life. scared the heck out of me. we are on our third and fourth Bs now and i really respect that little growl when it starts. let sleeping dogs lie. 🙂

• @Mantis:

can you tell us what the levels mean? I have never heard of that?

Well…it isn't anything really formal. I stole it from a workshop I went to a few months ago. Sue Sternberg said, and I will paraphrase: There are different levels of which people are involved in dog ownership. The huge majority of people are Level 1 dog owners...they want a nice family dog, they don't want to invest much time, money or effort training it, they don't want to accept a lot of "quirkiness" in a dog. Level 2 dog owners are willing to put some time and effort into their dog's behavior. They often wanted a Level 1 dog, but ended up with a Level 2 dog, and were committed enough to the dog to get some help and training. Then there are the Level 3 dog owners...we kinda like dogs that are more of a challenge. Could be trainers that like a "project" dog, or rescuers that take a dog nobody else wants, or people who end up with an aggressive dog and learn everything they can about working with aggressive dogs (raising hand). People who don't mind moving the garbage and the toilet paper to keep it out of the dog's way...people who rearrange their back yard for the dogs' enjoyment...you get the picture 😉 So many basenjis are Level 3...and even the best basenji is a Level 2 🙂

Make more sense?

Suggested Topics