• My puppy is about 7 months old and whenever I put him in his crate and leave the room, he automatically starts howling, screaming, and whyning for reasons unknown to me. It's only when I put him in his crate and not when the rest of my family does so. Any help as to how to get him more used to being away from me without whyning would be greatly appreciated.

attachment_t_1738_0_img_0004.jpg

• There are quite a few threads about crate screaming. He is going through a time of adjustment. He wants to be with you. The only thing you can do is give him plenty to do in his crate, never let him out when he is crying, and don't give him any sort of attention when he is crying.

How about you just have the other members of your family put him in his crate for now?

• I found that my little Cairo (6months) would need to go to bed at 9pm every night and Caesar (6yrs) would stay up for a few hours alone with me. Cairo's kennel is in the living room so he could see us and would cry and cry….

I put a comforter over the kennel and he quieted down immediately. He must have related it to a den. Try putting a blanket on the kennel when it is time to go to bed to establish it is quiet time and give your basenji a nylabone or treat that takes a while to eat. It should distract him a bit until he settles past that tantrum point.

I use my kennel for a time out spot as well and learned early on that you shouldnt acknowledge the bad behavior by taking them out when they are crying. They need to learn that they must be quiet before let out of the kennel or they will train you to let them out.

If you want to train him into the kennel it is only fair that you have a schedule so he knows he is going in because of the schedule, not for punishment.

It sounds like he is your baby which is why he cries to you. Just establish a schedule for him and he will get used to it.

If he is screaming like he is going to die, well that may mean you need to try something else, this is just for the LET ME OUT cries.

These are just my experiences. I hope they help a bit. Keep us posted! 🙂

• It's deffinately a let me out cry and He only cries when I'm not in the room. He sleeps in his crate in my room and is quiet to go to sleep, it's just during the day if I put him in for 2 hours or so. Sometimes I have tried to just put him in for about 30 minutes and he can whine for about 2-3 hours. I've been told to put him in for about 3.5 hour increments and he can whine the whole time. He is getting a little better, but really slowly. I was wondering other things to ease the pain of being away from me. He has a comphy bed he likes and 3 or 4 toys and a watter bottle. I have managed to learn when he just wants out as opposed to when he has to go to the bathroom and usually he just wants out.

• @etzbseder:

It's deffinately a let me out cry and He only cries when I'm not in the room. He sleeps in his crate in my room and is quiet to go to sleep, it's just during the day if I put him in for 2 hours or so. Sometimes I have tried to just put him in for about 30 minutes and he can whine for about 2-3 hours. I've been told to put him in for about 3.5 hour increments and he can whine the whole time. He is getting a little better, but really slowly. I was wondering other things to ease the pain of being away from me. He has a comphy bed he likes and 3 or 4 toys and a watter bottle. I have managed to learn when he just wants out as opposed to when he has to go to the bathroom and usually he just wants out.

Why is it necessary to crate him when you are at home? I would think that when you are home that he could be loose with you? Obviously he wants to be with you? Do you crate him when you go out? And does he scream when you go out?

• I am crating him some while I'm home so that I can crate him when I leave without him whyning and howling. Once I know he will be quiet, I won't crate him when I'm there. Yeah, he whines when I leave, I can hear him from outside when I get back if it's not a long time. (The window's open)

• Myself - I would not crate when I'm home because dogs knows I'm home and it certainly doesn't make sense to put them or myself thru the anxiety while I'm home. I only crate when I leave the house. The ritual/routine is I turn on the radio to my favorite music station with volume at a level that will cut outside noise and keep them calm when I'm gone. In a quiet-calm voice say "bye Duke, bye Daisy" and out the door. No fussing. When I come home, same thing . . . quiet & calm voice say hi and open the crate when they are calm and happy to see me. Then we go outside.

Also, when they go in their crate, they get a chewy for something to do. Otherwise - (Daisy) will nip away at her blankie and I have shredded fabric everywhere.

Works for me!

• you may want to look at some of the suggestions for seperation anxiety…...that might help.

• He's trying to train YOU. Don't fall for it!

He must think you are a push over.

Make going to his crate a positive experience. Always give him a treat AFTER he goes in his crate.

I just have say crate and my dog runs to her crate!

Basenji's will DO just about ANYTHING for the right bribe!

Basenji's do not know the word "No" but they do know food.

• They are like babies

Sometimes you just have to tough it out and let them cry

• Ahhh, so cute! Like I said before when they're sleeping they're the best~

• @Barklessdog:

They are like babies

Sometimes you just have to tough it out and let them cry

Cute pic! But ftr, most people don't let babies cry it out anymore 🙂 That method has pretty much been debunked as the best way to "train" them….they need to find a way to calm themselves, not exhaust themselves!

Sometimes it IS best to let a puppy cry and whine...but if it is hysterical screaming, letting it go on will not fix the problem.

Suggested Topics