• Hello

Back with another issue. Baako is 6 months now and ever since spring has started, we've had a really hard time with allergies.

From sneezing and eye discharge, to now hives all over the body (depends on how much he scratches). We were at the seaside a week ago and we noticed he had his upper lip swollen. We took him to the vet, they gave him a corticosteroid shot and he was fine 1h later. Then, at night, ha started developing hives (he was restless and agresively scratching). We had some Aerius (desloratadine) at hand so we gave him 1/4 of that which did the job in 30 mins. It lasted him until the next morning, when the hives were back. We took him to the vet when we got back home and he said that is likely an enviromental allergy and that we should continue with 1/4 Aerius for 10 days.
    We are 7 days in now and I see no improvement, they reapear after roughly 24 hours.

I just don't know where to start. I have already cut out all the treats (we've intorduced beef jerky lately, thought it could be it) but it didn't change anything. I can't keep him inside for days just to rule out enviromental allergies either. Not to mention that when we came back from the seaside, I've found a flea (weird enough) on one of the blankets (although it was not used on him). I looked all over him but couldn't find any signs of bites.

I know that it is hard to tell what could cause it, so I was wondering whether any of you had to deal with something similar on the body. He seems fine otherwise, energic and all.

https://i.imgur.com/kXCsDoR.png

• Allergies are tough. What changes in spring? Thinking of the obvious, you maybe are using sunscreen on yourself. Anything else you can think of that is different? Changes in laundry detergent, some new product in your house or car? Sure, could be something outside in the environment, but most allergens seem to have a season, I know they do for me. Hives all over the body....everywhere, or more in some areas? As far as keeping him inside, it might be worth a trial of a couple of days to see if anything changes....

• No changes whatsoever, but we've travelled for a few days in the past two weeks. The hives appeared when we were away and stayed with us for a week+ now.

It's mostly on the sides, but when it got worse I saw it on his legs and neck. See the picture.

• Yes, I have looked at the picture. My other concern would be the steroid shot he had. What informs me here isn't dog experience but my own. Treatment for a contact allergy rash I developed a couple of years ago was oral prednisone (steroid) and instead of helping it resulted in me getting a rash all over my body which lasted for over a month, and that was after only 3 pills. ( I discontinued the medication right after the 3rd pill because I experienced very serious side effects including slurring my speech and being unable to walk properly or dial the phone for help!) I now know I am allergic to Prednisone. It is a known side effect in humans and can be serious in some people, apparently including me. I think there is an outside chance that the steroid injection may be the cause of the ongoing hives, but that is pure speculation based on my own experience. Usually in canines Prednisone causes thirst, frequent urination, hunger, and a short list of more serious issues, but not hives per se. I don't know about other steroids or what your pup was given, so I am only putting this out there as a possibility.

• @lustopher - What are you feeding him? They can have allergies to food even if for a while with no issues. One of mine had allergies to corn.. but it really took a couple of years before it really showed to be a problem.

• Agreed with @tanza 's idea that there may be some relation to food. What food and formula is Baako on? If not the cause of the allergies, diet can at least be modified to soothe the problem.

• I've been feeding him Acana Heritage for Medium Puppies. It's mostly chicken, so perhaps he developed a pouldry allergy overtime? I've taken out most of the treats already and will try to switch his food for a few days to see how it goes. I found a fish formula from Orijen (6 fish), that should do the trick if poultry is the problem.

• Had you opened a new bag around the time this started? Sometimes they change ingredients or suppliers of ingredients, which is the way an allergen can sneak in....

Suggested Topics