• Our boy is 5.5 months and he just weighted at 8.9 kg. Quite the difference, but he seems fine to me. I've been using the "feel the ribs" cue + this calculator: [URL removed}

• I've never, ever weighed a puppy. My eyes tell me what I need to know. Same with adults. You can generally see at a glance what the body condition is, especially with short haired dogs like Basenjis!

• @eeeefarm It comes with experience, I suppose. But for a first time dog owner, it's not as simple :p. Everything it's a learning process.

• [URL removed]

I used this when my boy was a baby and if he was underweight I would increase his food and if he was on the right track I would keep the same amount.

It’s good to have a look at the dogs behind your pup to see how the dogs in his lines turned out full grown if they was compact, slim etc.

I feed raw and used this guide

FOR DOGS

An adult dog needs around 2 – 3 % of their total body weight each day. To maintain your dog's weight 2.5% and to fatten up a skinny dog 3%. For a porky pooch it is recommended to reduce to 2% to help slim. Puppies may need up to need up to 8 - 10 % of their bodyweight to aid growth.

Suggested Topics