Behavior Change for the Better

• @eeeefarm

Thanks. I'm careful to avoid areas where such hunters are, which isn't the areas I frequent (never private land). Even when Sanji is older and the training is more or less completed, and he would obey my recall after siting deer, I wouldn't take him out on the mountain biking trails in the larger public lands during hunting season for my own safety as well. Muzzle loading season isn't too bad, but we never ride the trails during rifle season, except at night.

Where he chased deer was within a Midland City Forest Park, 520 acres, in a suburban area (surrounded by housing). No hunters. But I'm not taking him even there again until I have better control and he stays within my eye site and keeps in my vicinity.

The training I'm doing in Bartsow Woods, a 24 acre fenced park near my house, is perfect for this. About 90% of visitors come with their dogs for off-leash romps, so it's ideal for recall training and tracking. Lots of distractions. And since his rut, I realized that the training progressed more than I realized. I hardly have to use the ecollar to bring him away from a pack, my whistle works, and when I do have to use the ecollar, it's just a low setting nick. Very happy lately. And now I know this will probably change next fall when he goes into rut again.

• @sanjibasenji - Well my girls are older so maybe not a great idea unless we meet outdoors and walk on lead to see how they get alone.

• @eeeefarm said in Behavior Change for the Better:

legal or not, 99% of us will shoot it.

That horrifies me. About 2 weeks ago, I had a young (10 yo?) boy tell me that if he had his gun he would shoot my "Fox". I understand hunting (for meat, survival, etc.). I do not understand how an adult can put a gun in the hand of a child and not teach them the difference between wildlife and a pet on a leash. (withholding emotional outlash because this wasn't anyone on the forum)

• @sanjibasenji I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. And I am not sure if it is me to whom you address the question about putting the vets in touch ?

Frankly, at the moment, no. We are not allowed in to the Vet's office with our dogs. We phone from the carpark that we have arrived and the Vet comes out and collects the animal, take it inside, and subsequently brings it back and we have a consultation, sort of, on the carpark. Often in the pouring rain.

There are four Vets at the Practice I use. One has Covid despite all their precautions. (Of course it is my favourite !) So they are under considerable stress at the moment.

• Sally -
    Thanks and "no worries" (as they say here in the Midwest). Hope all is well with you and HAPPY holidays!

Suggested Topics