• So I really want a dog. I was thinking about a german shepherd but I live in an apartment which is 60sqr meters. So I think a better choice would be a basenji (I love animals).

So based on the response to my wuestions/concerns I will decide if I'll buy one.

1. Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day.
      Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much.

2. I'm a very active person, so we'll go out a lot, hiking, mountains, lakes, trips, we will travel to other countries.

3. Will he destroy my apartment (furniture, sofa ...) / shredding.

4. Maybe sometimes i'll have to travel alone for 1 2 weeks but I have a safe place for my basenj, where he will stay and smbdy will take care of him.

Thank you, and be honest with me, I'd love to be able to have a basenji, but depends if it's fine for him with all I have sayd at points 1,2,3,4

• @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?:

So I really want a dog. I was thinking about a german shepherd but I live in an apartment which is 60sqr meters. So I think a better choice would be a basenji (I love animals).

So based on the response to my wuestions/concerns I will decide if I'll buy one.

1. Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day.

It could be. It depends on the dog and how much separation anxiety it may have. This is something that you won't know till you have the dog. But, there are strategies to overcome separation anxiety. It will absolutely require commitment, training, persistence and patience from you. It could take days, weeks or more. Some dogs never overcome it.

Also I do not want to have to much trouble with the neighbours, but I understand he can make some noise sometimes, maybe he can be trained to stay alone and not to bark that much.

Basenjis don't bark. Well... much. Logan barks, but only once and that's it. But, they will howl and scream if they are unhappy. Again, depends on the dog and how anxious or frustrated they are. Mine both would howl and scream at high volume when my wife and I would leave the house even when my son was home. After a while they realized we always returned and they stopped, but it took short trips that increased to longer and longer trips. Also a tired Basenji is a happy Basenji. You'll hear this from anyone who's lived with one.

> 2. I'm a very active person, so we'll go out a lot, hiking, mountains, lakes, trips, we will travel to other countries.

They will LOVE this. A lot! Basenjis love to be active. In fact they demand it. All of mine have. Careful around other dogs while on lead. They can be turned loose with training, but it's hit and miss in my experience. I can release my male, but not my female. I thought I had her trained until she told me to shove it one day. Ran straight past me with dust trail billowing behind her and NEVER looked back. Not happening again. I wish I could find the article. I'd read once that the leading cause of death of Basenjis was getting hit by cars. I've heard it. I've read it once, but I didn't bookmark it. I can't find any data supporting the claim, but I can tell you from personal experience... a loose Basenji can be a hair raising experience near any street traffic. Others have had better experiences than me.

> 3. Will he destroy my apartment (furniture, sofa ...) / shredding.

Well... maybe. Yeah, a Basenji may make it's feelings known in any number of destructive ways. So will any dog. Shredding your apartment is certainly one of 'em. Look... many people get a dog, any dog, because it's a good choice at the time they get it. But, a dog isn't for Christmas or Covid or because you love animals. A dog is good choice because you're in a good healthy mature mental place to make a commitment to care for an animal FOR THE REST OF IT'S LIFE! This means you're willing to make sacrifices of time for daily training and attention; put up with ruined furniture, pillows, bed skirts, and more; and that you won't loose your $#!+ and take it out on your dog when you get home to find that it's chewed the only USB stick containing the only copy of the two hour presentation you need to give to 200 people tomorrow friggin' morning at 8:00am. Caring for dog, any dog takes commitment, patience and planning. Have your head on a swivel and plan B in your pocket.

> 4. Maybe sometimes i'll have to travel alone for 1 2 weeks but I have a safe place for my basenj, where he will stay and smbdy will take care of him.

It could work. Some Basenjis love people. Some are skittish. I would suggest having the person over. Letting the two get to know one another. Let the dog stay overnight with the person to start with. Then a weekend, or two. Start slow and increase the time. They need time to learn to trust one another, but it's completely doable.

Thank you, and be honest with me, I'd love to be able to have a basenji, but depends if it's fine for him with all I have sayd at points 1,2,3,4

There ya have it...

• @planetsaver
    @JENGOSMonkey provided you with a SPOT-ON response. You may also want to read “Zande’s PUT-OFF list” @ http://www.zandebasenjis.com/ to see if a basenji is for really for you. You asked really good questions on considering a basenji and hopefully this will help you in your decision. Best wishes on your search for a dog - whatever breed that might be!🐾❤

• #1. Nine hours straight is too long for any dog to be left alone. You would need to make provisions for someone to come and walk him in the middle of that time at the very least. An unhappy Basenji is often a loud Basenji. Neighbours may not know you have a dog, since no barking, but they may think domestic abuse is going on in your apartment.

#2. Basenjis are typically active dogs, but they are not known for being Obedience champions. On leash is safest for hiking especially in unfamiliar territory.

#3. Basenjis can be destructive if they are unhappy. So can most dogs.

#4. Sure, you could leave your dog with someone who is willing to deal with him, or have someone come to your house and stay with him, (which is what I did with my last boy when I went away), or leave him at a trustworthy dog boarding establishment.

• @kembe said in Basenji for me or not ?:

@planetsaver
    @JENGOSMonkey provided you with a SPOT-ON response. You may also want to read “Zande’s PUT-OFF list” @ http://www.zandebasenjis.com/ to see if a basenji is for really for you. You asked really good questions on considering a basenji and hopefully this will help you in your decision. Best wishes on your search for a dog - whatever breed that might be!🐾❤

I finally dove into @Zande’s site. I found the content page and spent an hour there. Wow! It’s full Basenji gems. Pictures, history and the Put-Off list is awesome! Definitely visit her site @PlanetSaver. It’ll give more great information as you explore the breed and what things you should know and consider.

A year and a half ago I would have said, no, a Basenji isn’t a good candidate for being an apartment dog. Then, about a year ago, a guy visited this site and posted that his Basenji had passed. He lived in an apartment in San Francisco for many years with his Basenji. They did fine together. I think he had a Facebook page dedicated to their lives together.

We have another member here that, if I recall correctly live in an apartment in downtown Seattle together. A beautiful brindle male. They do great together as well.

I think the key to both of their success is that they dedicated a lot of time for walks and activity. This is something that may be easy when to dog is new, but takes commitment as time goes on. Remember, you’ll have the dog for many many years. Be honest with yourself about how much you’re willing to commit. That goes for any dog.

Keep asking questions, find a breeder, visit a kennel, spend some time with the breed. You’ll discover if this breed is for you. Let us know how we can help you along the way.

• @planetsaver - I have placed many a Basenji in apartments and/or townhomes over the years. Never had one returned or been a problem... As a breeder you need to really interview potential homes and the people, entire families, not just one person in the family. Of course if they are prior Basenji owners, that makes it much easier.

• @planetsaver said in Basenji for me or not ?:

Will be a problem to leave him alone, let's say 10 days / month an average of 9 hours a day.

Why would you even think about training a hunting hound to stay home alone ? I would never let my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, and even that is very rare. 3 hours is absolute maximum.

Like @tanza, I have sold puppies into apartment environments as long as all other boxes ticked positive. Someone there all the time, proper attention to training, not just leaving the dog alone, especially not as a puppy.

btw, he won't bark at all. As you would know if you had really researched the breed. He will cry and scream but not bark !

No. At least you are asking questions but I really think you should find another breed.

• elbrantE elbrant moved this topic from Announcements & Help on

Suggested Topics